[WC] Nano S "ITX" Case

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking to WC my current system.

To begin, here are the parts I have hoot.
Finalised Part List

Main Parts
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
  • MB: Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Impact
  • GPU: NVidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders' Edition
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3200 CL16(B/W)
  • SSD: Samsung 960 PRO 1024GB
  • EVGA P2 650W (Lutro0 customs extensions)
  • Fractal Design Nano S (White)

Misc Parts
  • 2x Nidec GT2150 (AP15 Variant)
  • 1x Nidec GT1850 (AP15 Variant)

WC Parts
  • CPU: AQC cuplex kryos NEXT 115x (PVD/Nickel)
  • GPU: AQC kryographics Pascal for Titan XP / 1080 Ti (acrylic/nickel)
  • GPU Baclplate: AQC kryographics Back plate
  • Rad: Nemesis GTS Ultra Stealth (240+120
  • +EK-CoolStream SE 120 25mm)
  • Res: AQC Aqualis ECO 150 (Acetal/Glass)
  • Pump Top: EK-D5-XTOP Revo (Acetal)
  • Pump: AQC D5 PWM

WC Parts (Misc)
  • Bitspower fittings, drain/fill valves, PETG tubes etc
  • AQC Double Protect Ultra (Clear)

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The planned layout
(note: bad ms paint drawings)

I've came up with a couple of loop layouts listed below. These are the key ones I had in mind among the list.
1. 1x 240 GTS (top) + pump / res combo (Discarded)
kSTD3DY.jpg

Discarded due to clearance issues with rad + fan measurements exceeding the obstruction from the following components and require some hardware mod to offset the fan mounting
-both Trident Z head spreaders
-mobo vrm daughterboard

2. The near finalised layout
7KVjOH2.png

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Week of 4th June

-Some WC wares came
qkvfrjx.jpg

-Painted some GT fans and the HW Lab rads
9BG3tnN.jpg

Week of 24 July
Just about all of the components came, except a couple of fitting shortage.
miMhWoX.jpg

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pre-Assembly Highlights

1. Working out an M.2 SSD.
The M8I had no M.2 slot... Wrong bet and poor taste from Asus that M.2 SSDs will stop scaling beyond 512GB. https://rog.asus.com/articles/hands-on/easy-guide-to-ssds-sata-msata-m-2-and-u-2/. As such, an adapter was required to convert the electrically compatible SFF-8643 (U.2) to M.2. Hopefully the sequel to this board will not inherit this fatal IO connectivity shortfall.

The solution?
Result was the 960 Pro sat at the heart of a 2.5" 9.5mm thick caddy, similar to the Intel 750 form factor.
IuRShSK.jpg

2. Fanssss.....

The excellent part about the M8I's that its an ITX board that comes with *five* fan headers.
2 onboard, an additional 3 through the fan extension card that makes independent fan control a breeze for WC. Enough headers for all fans and even for a D5 Pump's PWM sensing. Goodies like the thermocouple cable included can be routed into the GPU's VRM for additional temp monitoring (optional).

I have this extension board sitting snugly at my case's back chamber.
AZk3YAO.jpg

3. Lutro0 Cables
One of them came with the short and long side reversed, as such I couldn't train the curves properly. Had to terminate and flip the cable sides. Mainframe customs sent the tools necessary to correct the mistake promptly. Fixed the 6 pin cable seen in pic below.

e1phcng.jpg

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Assembly Highlights

1. Fractal Moduvent Grill Cutting
This was an unanticipated mod. When the AQC order was about to be dispatched, AQC wrote to inform that they had no Aqualis ECO 100 (lead time >3 weeks) and offered the 150 upgrade at no cost. The ECO 100 was chosen since it was short enough for a 90 degree G1/4 extender to be fitted at the reservoir top. Remeasurements were made to ensure the full vertical height of the ECO 150 would fit. But the alternate fill method would be through the case top and that means snipping part of the case top grill under the moduvent cover.

Regular pliers snip the grill like hot knife through butter.

sx7XYsO.jpg

After Moduvent Cover Placement
c4zknBt.jpg

2. iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit
Its an expensive kit, helped with various small steps of taking things apart and putting things back. But quality of the driver bits are decent, good collection of commonly used bits. But the quality of one of the finetip tweezers.. snap like potato chips..
fDbPZFq.jpg

3. GP102-350-K1-A1
ewLw6Eo.jpg

cQwapu3.jpg

4. Partially fitted

GTS 120 XFlow removed due to clearance incompatibility. (Window won't close)
EK Coolstream SE 120 came into the picture as a result.

Zhht5Wy.jpg

5. PETG Bending

PETG tube bending is not that easy for beginners. Thankfully, there are some references online you can find even on youtube. However it also takes trial and error to find the right bending temperature with the heat gun you have. Burnt through quite an amount of PETG. Here are the scraps that can be salvaged.

VcqN1rM.jpg

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nano S WC completed! :)

bRGT51r.jpg

RHvo98m.jpg

-AQC blocks/res
-Nemesis / EK Rads
-Bitspower fittings
(solid stuff, the rotaries have no play or wriggle)

With the space constrains, had to make minor case mods and even change of some WC component choice for clearance but it all turned out well (eventually).

Choice of AQC blocks were primarily due to the pretty industrial looking German designed blocks (and Percy shushu GPGT poisons), which became sort of the "theme" of the case with small accented lighting (WIP) :s34:.

Special thanks to community members like Royfrosty and Shadow84 for solid advice and AQC MO! If not it would be far more challenging for starters.

Abit of build log (key clearance etc) will be added soon.

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Key Measurements, Clearance Highlights

Note: There may be minor measurement errors. If you're using the numbers, take some allowances into account (parallax error etc)

Case bottom to GPU + PSU
paXfsss.jpg

PThjOA7.jpg

Front Intake Width (scale: 10cm)
lNoBW8K.jpg

GT 1850 + Nemesis GTS 240
6X4dvIk.jpg

Case front interior to rear radiator
0vKWAlb.jpg

Base to EK XTOP-REVO (Mounting bracket height included)
vxpdnbE.jpg

Note: Depth 6.6cm
vxpdnbE.jpg

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Key Takeaways/Recommendations, especially for potential builders

1. Clearance is the most important matter you need in this PC case.

a. For top + front mount radiator setup
-you either need low-profile RAMs or chop off part of the fan hub for top rads to fit
-Can't use a board with a VRM daughterboard like the M8I
-You'll likely use the smallest possible reservoir, or perhaps shrink down the pump/res profile with a DDC pump (like Jayztwocents)
-Some have resorted to horizontal mount reservoir, but that's not convenient for draining and filling up the loop.

b. For front + rear mount rads
-Effectively just front intake, probably slower dust buildup but less use of the radiator surface area and less cooling potential
-RAM/VRM daughterboard clearance issues alleviated
-Allowance for taller reservoir (may require case cutting)
-The 120mm exhaust's clearance is very restrictive. It will probably best fit a very low profile rad like what I've used.

c. ATX PSU works.
But if it can be smaller (e.g. SFX), you reclaim more space for other components. (e.g. Standalone D5 pump mounting)

d. GPU length.
This is no long case by any means. Make sure it isn't too long or too wide.
Since you have to account for the GPU block's terminal for width than an air cooled card.

2. Assembly

a. Use a pump with PWM control if possible.
When you place the pump in the case, there's no removal of it for speed adjustment.

b. You may have to fit the GPU after the initial inlay of fitting and some of the tubes.
Or else you won't be able to fit the deeper tubes later.
Plan about how you're doing this.

3. Try to avoid

a. Placing your front rad fans outside of the case
where the intake filters should be to increase clearance for GPU length, then with a PVC mesh filter fitted on.
I simulated the airflow testing and it was terrible even with the GTs on 2150RPM. You'll likely get similar findings. PITA modification with bad results.

Other closing notes

Fill, bleed and leak tests ~ 7 Aug.
Project concluded on the eve of national day :s13:.

This build is commissioned as Project Nano!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.