RT-AC1200G+ or RT-N66U?

neokage

Reaction score
Hi, need some advice - hope gurus here can help.

I recently switched to M1 broadband and was given the RT-AC1200G+ modem for free. I looked up the specs online and it seems like the RT-AC1200G+ is better than the RT-N66U which I am currently using.

The M1 guy who came over to do the installation today told me that the RT-N66U is better than the RT-AC1200G+, contrary to what I have found online. I asked him why and he couldn't explain.

Anyone able to shed some light?

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you're using hard wire connection and ability to create VPN Server, N66U is more powerful.

If you're using wireless connection, then AC1200G+.

I've both routers, and the N66U is used as my main router for VPN Server and connections to other LAN (Ethernet) devices. The AC1200G+ is used for AP purpose for all wifi connections.

neokage

Reaction score
If you're using hard wire connection and ability to create VPN Server, N66U is more powerful.

If you're using wireless connection, then AC1200G+.

I've both routers, and the N66U is used as my main router for VPN Server and connections to other LAN (Ethernet) devices. The AC1200G+ is used for AP purpose for all wifi connections.

Thanks bro! Can I assume that it will be better to connect my NAS (WDEX4) to the N66U?

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RT-AC1200G+ user here.

On the latest Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.382_15525, I noticed my 5GHz wireless speed is about 60Mbps when two firmwares ago, it would cap at about 280Mbps (iPhone 6 plus user here).

Anybody facing this issue too?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RT-AC1200G+ user here.

On the latest Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.382_15525, I noticed my 5GHz wireless speed is about 60Mbps when two firmwares ago, it would cap at about 280Mbps (iPhone 6 plus user here).

Anybody facing this issue too?

So...do you suspect that's it's due to firmware ?

If yes there's 2 options,

-factory reset, fresh config
or
-roll back firmware

paul02

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So...do you suspect that's it's due to firmware ?

If yes there's 2 options,

-factory reset, fresh config
or
-roll back firmware

Yes, I've done a firmware downgrade (2 firmwares ago) and when testing 5GHz WiFi, my phone hits ~280Mbps easy.

Sharing for the rest of you guys if you're wondering why you're not getting decent speeds on your devices.

neokage

Reaction score
Yes, I've done a firmware downgrade (2 firmwares ago) and when testing 5GHz WiFi, my phone hits ~280Mbps easy.

Sharing for the rest of you guys if you're wondering why you're not getting decent speeds on your devices.

Hi bro, thanks for sharing. I tested this on my own router and observed the same slow speeds on the latest firmware - even youtube videos sometime do not buffer properly. Rolled back to 3.0.0.4.380_4089 and speeds are blazing fast.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.