Experienced fathers, pls advise first time father here

Emo_Rhino

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will be welcoming my first child at end of year. Doc says its a boy.

Please help me with below questions:
1) is c section or natural birth better?
2) is signing up for cordlife or donate cord to the cord blood bank worth it?
3) Worth to send to infant care? My wife keep telling me 6 months can send, but I think he doesn't know anything at that age, and its expensive, why not just send to toddler class at 18months. I personally started education much later at K1.
4) Is it a need to buy a car with a baby now? I heard grab and uber don't entertain children.
5) What to buy besides baby clothes, baby cot and baby stroller? My wife tell me there is a milk bottle sterilisation kit that costs $400??
6) Who to take care of baby if both parents working? We both work long hours. One option is leave with parents, but baby travel at night back to my house is troublesome, same HDB town but 5 bus stops away. Stay with my parents my wife also not keen. Second option is hire maid, but I am worried about child safety. Third option leave baby at childcare but even at 7pm, both of us may not be out of office and may get bogged down by OT. How do you manage this?

pls advise thanks. :(

Whirling_Dervish

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

3) Worth to send to infant care? My wife keep telling me 6 months can send, but I think he doesn't know anything at that age, and its expensive, why not just send to toddler class at 18months. I personally started education much later at K1.
4) Is it a need to buy a car with a baby now? I heard grab and uber don't entertain children.
5) What to buy besides baby clothes, baby cot and baby stroller? My wife tell me there is a milk bottle sterilisation kit that costs $400??
6) Who to take care of baby if both parents working? We both work long hours. One option is leave with parents, but baby travel at night back to my house is troublesome, same HDB town but 5 bus stops away. Stay with my parents my wife also not keen. Second option is hire maid, but I am worried about child safety. Third option leave baby at childcare but even at 7pm, both of us may not be out of office and may get bogged down by OT. How do you manage this?

Awwwww congratulations!!!! Super happy for you!!! :love:

I may not be able to provide any insights in the capacity of an experienced father but from my limited knowledge:

1) A good number of doctors would advocate for natural vaginal delivery (NVD) over a caesarean.

2) Not sure about this but if it doesnt cost too much, why not? I dont know much about this, but apparently cord blood can be therapeutic, especially when used to treat conditions like leukaemia. Perhaps a more enlightened person could enlighten you/us more on this?

nyvrem

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) natural if Wife can tahan

2) donate lo. Good karma

3) new born needs their mothers love. If you want throw your kid to some strangers to look after for first 6 years then send them to school, graduate and go Uni for degree ~ u should reflect what's your reasons to be parents

4) don't get a car, re-evaluate your lifestyle and maybe work toward being single income. Have Wife be full time care giver for first 5 years.

Never underestimate the time spent between parent and child

Money can always earn, but time once gone, you won't get it back

I'm a Father of 2 primary school girls.

/nontroll

rathalos

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Natural unless complications

2. No point signing cord life unless ur baby has some incurable disease..

3. Infant care is ex, speak to ur mum or MIL to see if she can help.. Parents love grandchildren, and are willing to help..

4. Buy an infant car seat or take taxi.. If ur finances allow then buy car.. But remember that infants blow through money faster than going lapsup KTV..

5. Buy Philips avent 3-in-1 sterilizer set at $190, comes with milk warmer.. Value for money.. Invest in a decent breast pump set, either spectra S1 or medela swing maxi..buy diapers, lots of it cos ur baby will blow through 8 a day.. Consider buying a baby carrier that is free to grow..

6. Leave baby with parents is the best option considering same town..

zzt231

Banned
Reaction score
1. Natural . I pay cash around 1.5k
If c sect, extra 3-4k cash.

2. Don't know.

3. Start sending him when he can talk.

4. If you can afford a car, of cos buy lah. Uber n grab most of them don't accept bb.

5. Don't buy. Ask from your relatives n friends. Those clothing wear like 1 to 2 months, can't wear liao.
The washing kit , $100 Got liao. No diff 1. All do the same job.
Don't waste $ on breast pump till u confirm your wife got milk. Some woman don't hv milk.

6.parent lah. Child never be as good as own parent.

Sent from 风雨中抱紧自由 using GAGT

leaving_footsteps

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. If no complication, gynaecologist probably will suggest natural birth. Listen to him.

2. Donate.

3. Infant care doesn't teach anything. I rather infants not traveling around.

4. If you can afford it. Grab taxi will entertain you.

5. Ask for hand-me-downs. Qoo10 having a sale now. Grab the coupons.

6. If your parents are willing to help, send to them is the best option. You will lose sleep if you DIY. Maid comes with many complications.

Or you could hire a maid and place her and your baby at your parents house.

chekchek

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) natural birth better. Can google. C section less pain can choose timing according to feng shui master
2) duno. Me never sign
3)me never send. Not that ex cos gov got sub
4) me no car also. Grab and uber most likely wont take in baby
5) ikea cot only $70+. Clothes get online or friend or relative. Sterilisation kit is for convience sake. We put boiling water in the bottle.
6) my mother take care. Put in cc after 18 month. We bring kid down my mother bring him home around 5. Lesson ebd around 5 for most childcare. Childcare usually close 7

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4X using GAGT

Emo_Rhino

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Awwwww congratulations!!!! Super happy for you!!! :love:

I may not be able to provide any insights in the capacity of an experienced father but from my limited knowledge:

1) A good number of doctors would advocate for natural vaginal delivery (NVD) over a caesarean.

2) Not sure about this but if it doesnt cost too much, why not? I dont know much about this, but apparently cord blood can be therapeutic, especially when used to treat conditions like leukaemia. Perhaps a more enlightened person could enlighten you/us more on this?
donate cord blood I think is free. but sign up for cordlife need to pay annual fee, not cheap but they show me article the baby got problems next time in life, they use that and recover. :(

Emo_Rhino

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) natural if Wife can tahan

2) donate lo. Good karma

3) new born needs their mothers love. If you want throw your kid to some strangers to look after for first 6 years then send them to school, graduate and go Uni for degree ~ u should reflect what's your reasons to be parents

4) don't get a car, re-evaluate your lifestyle and maybe work toward being single income. Have Wife be full time care giver for first 5 years.

Never underestimate the time spent between parent and child

Money can always earn, but time once gone, you won't get it back

I'm a Father of 2 primary school girls.

/nontroll
wah really ah, wife no work? but no work abit siong for my mortgage of 500k 5 room unit HDB. :(

Toiletpaper80

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) natural if possible
2) subjective.. not sure whats the real benefit in the future, but i did not sign upbas its costly in long run
3)if possible dun send infant care, as baby get sick easily at the centre. Having said that, toddlers at 18mths get sick as easily, but they shld be stronger by then.
4) convenience vs cost.. i see people managed without one.. its really the comfort bah.. u can juz dump stroller, bag into the car and drive off.. vs fight for cab especially when raining
5)breast pump, bag with many compartment to put diaper, warmer, bottle, milk, clothes, bip, pacifier, wet tissue.. go out one time, have to bring lots of things

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 2 using GAGT

Emo_Rhino

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Congratulations in advance!!

1. Natural unless complications

2. No point signing cord life unless ur baby has some incurable disease..

3. Infant care is ex, speak to ur mum or MIL to see if she can help.. Parents love grandchildren, and are willing to help..

4. Buy an infant car seat or take taxi.. If ur finances allow then buy car.. But remember that infants blow through money faster than going lapsup KTV..

5. Buy Philips avent 3-in-1 sterilizer set at $190, comes with milk warmer.. Value for money.. Invest in a decent breast pump set, either spectra S1 or medela swing maxi..buy diapers, lots of it cos ur baby will blow through 8 a day.. Consider buying a baby carrier that is free to grow..

6. Leave baby with parents is the best option considering same town..

2. but you only know that later in life right? :(

I also like leave with my parents but u know wife and in laws always have issues one :(

fsg316

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1. Natural.
2. Dunno
3. No. Better to have your wife or family member take care.
4. Save the money on a car. Get a car seat.
5. Car seat. Breast pump for milk.
6. Better to have your parents take care. If you worry about the maid, then you should worry about childcare center too.

orwell76

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

your laobu come and take care of your baby in your house in the day, at night you all come back handover loh

:s13:

of cos give your laobu a generous allowance for her troubles

kcarrey

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

:s8::s8::s8:

rathalos

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2. but you only know that later in life right? :(

I also like leave with my parents but u know wife and in laws always have issues one :(

Knowing later in life, but if no cure, got stem cells also no point.. May be dead before they even found a cure, let alone use ur stem cells..plus u have to read exactly what can be cure and cannot be cured using the cord blood, its actually not a lot, and ur paying 400 a year for 18 years..

Toiletpaper80

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
6) leave him to parents is the best lah.. but if ur parents don't want or cannot, like me, u can find nanny from ur nearby block. Timing wise, juz discuss with the nanny lor.. or if possible, ask ur parents to fetch him back to their house by 7, then u go pick him up. So if u and ur parents stay far away, a car is convenient. Public transport is doable also lah

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 2 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.