EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
2) Shapton 1000 and 5000 this is probably most value for money based on the price check i have done. Taobao has some good price for these from decently reputable shops. So far I think they can be gotta both plus a lapping disc for about $100sgd.

At those prices, they're fakes IMO. I never trust anything coming from China Taobao and cheaper than market price.

Congrats on your stones. They're like knives - different strokes for different folks. some work for some steels, others work for different steels. Buying from Japanese shops is just as expensive.

PS: during a recent experience, I noticed the Japanese togishi establishing the initial edge of a customer's knife with a diamond stone, then moving on to a black Naniwa 800 (not superstone), then refining it on a 3000 or 5000 grit stone. He then stropped it on some denim. Not once did he test the edge on paper...he just use the callouses on his hands to test the edge :)

PPS: establishing the initial edge properly is the key to any proper sharpening. Otherwise you're just polishing the edge which doesn't actually meet at the apex. Some steels take a lot longer to raise a burr.

Last edited:

Rock-kun

Reaction score
one of the members sharpens knives for a living. you should ask him if he wants to post here publicly.

naniwa makes different lines of stones, including the choseras which are highly regarded. After experimenting with the naniwa superstones, I am with mamba, they're too gummy and soft (the matrix) and they dish easily, especially for lower grits. For the higher grits - 5000/10000 they're actually quite nice and put a nice polish. They're great for carbon steel blades but not so much for high vanadium steels. M390 is ok steel, not quite ZDP or S90V so they may work.

but naniwa's choseras are better regarded, they're more expensive too. I've never tried them but everyone loves them. I've only used the naniwa 2000 green brick of joy, I love it, the feedback is nice but it is softer and it is also more suitable for lower vanadium steels IMO.

I'm using shapton pros right now. as they say in localspeak - no complaints! :s13:

Although we may say that certain stones are blah blah, I think technique and the use of slurry affects it. I don't see togishis in Japan using anything but waterstones (no diamonds) when sharpening high vanadium steels like ZDP. And the knives are ground using a waterwheel and not a belt sander either.

Have fun with the sharpening...I hope the experienced sharpeners chime in.

ps: I find it therapeutic too, much cheaper than watching a movie.

Unfortunately, I don't have the control needed to hold a consistent angle against a stone, so I gotta use clamping kits like the Lansky for my sharpening. Which is too bad, because I think the smoothest stone Lansky has is what, 1000 grit? Good enough for a fine edge, but nothing impressive.

mamba2012

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have the control needed to hold a consistent angle against a stone, so I gotta use clamping kits like the Lansky for my sharpening. Which is too bad, because I think the smoothest stone Lansky has is what, 1000 grit? Good enough for a fine edge, but nothing impressive.

There is no perfect way to sharpen. While lansky and other jig sharpeners provide consistent angles, they are hard to lug around and sharpen, unlike stones, which only need any flat surface to do so.

Rock-kun

Reaction score
There is no perfect way to sharpen. While lansky and other jig sharpeners provide consistent angles, they are hard to lug around and sharpen, unlike stones, which only need any flat surface to do so.

You say that, but those kits make it extremely easy to put a very fine edge on just about any blade. I just used my Lansky to sharpen and hone a cheap 3Cr13 blade to newspaper-cutting sharpness with the 120, 280 and 600 grit stones.

Still, I would love to experience the fineness of a blade sharpened against 5000 grit stones.

wrathbringer27

Reaction score
Hello guys. I am thinking of getting an OKC SP6. Not sure where the best place to get is. Any help is appreciated. Local price is like double of USA price :(

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
Scan through about 17 pages. Never see anyone collect kamrabit?

That's because Karambits are mostly mall ninja crap and not so practical.

Only those CS:GO kids will collect those rainbow pot steel Chinese karambits because they look "cool".

holidaylll

Reaction score
A lot of experts here! Take advantage of this place to post an ad for my knife! Thanks!

For sale: Hattori KD30-Miyabi Premium Hunter, by Ichiro Hattori (see hattoricollector.com).
wl4gqam

62zq2sz

150mm blade, 287mm overall, weight 375g.
Drop point Cowry-X Powdered steel core edge with forge layered Nickel/Stainless Damascus (121 layers) steel blade with blood groove. Hand contoured Premium quality cocobolo wood handle with solid Nickel silver hilt and pins. Stainless tubular lanyard hole on end, Comes with double stitched Custom made Brown Leather Sheath and Black Velvet Wooden Presentation Box.

Price 4300 SGD
Contact 91317573 (SMS/WhatsApp)
Near AMK
More Pics available.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Rare S90V Fixed Blade by Evgeniy Khohlov for sale

Hello,
I have posted this in my feed in IG but in case there are interested persons who don't follow me:

I have a Sterkh Monarch 2 S90V for sale. Mint. These are ergonomic razorsharp and well-heat treated and well regarded fixed blades. 1 of only 10 he made in 2013/2014 (I'm not sure). His S90V is known to outcut many other S90V knives, ceteris paribus. The detailing on the knife and the fit and finish is outstanding - tapered tang, squared spine (for firestarting), orange liners and pin-rings, green micarta scales, formed pouch style leather sheath with dangler attachment. This knife sits in your hand very comfortably.

Blade - 5"
OAL - 10"
Blade stock - 0.18"
Material - S90V

I'm selling as I need cash for my unexpected dental/medical bills - urgh. Wish I were a doctor/dentist (which are :eyeburn:)

SGD840. Cash and carry.

5zS1GVE.jpg

a6ZTE7E.jpg

eTodymS.jpg

jNAy3c7.jpg

Rottweilersg

Reaction score
Fire-sale items to go

Looking to let go my collections: Custom Strider SA (Titanium), Strider Folder, Strider Tuff Writer Pen, Noctural Fix Blade, Crusader Forge, etc. Whatsapp me at 83880429 if you want to know which piece. I do post in Carousell as well.

snow89

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to knives collecting.

I understand that automatic knives are illegal, but I'm not sure if I shipped it in to Singapore and just put in my home for display but I don't bring out of my house, will this be okay? Or custom will stop it from entering? Kinda confused about this matter.

I'm kinda interested in this auto knife.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Launch-4-Automatic-Knife-1--34416

It's only 1.9 inch in blade length, do you guys think it is possible to ship in? If cannot then I don't want to waste money and try luck le.

Hope all the knife senpais can enlighten me on this matter!

Many thanks!

mamba2012

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to knives collecting.

I understand that automatic knives are illegal, but I'm not sure if I shipped it in to Singapore and just put in my home for display but I don't bring out of my house, will this be okay? Or custom will stop it from entering? Kinda confused about this matter.

I'm kinda interested in this auto knife.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Launch-4-Automatic-Knife-1--34416

It's only 1.9 inch in blade length, do you guys think it is possible to ship in? If cannot then I don't want to waste money and try luck le.

Hope all the knife senpais can enlighten me on this matter!

Many thanks!

Automatic knives are ILLEGAL. It's the same for drugs and other vices. Why would you risk getting in trouble with the law over such a silly thing?

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Precisely. Don't make life difficult for yourself, collectors and users here by doing something stupid that will cause the authorities to tighten the laws because of one incident.

Even in the US, autos are banned in states that have not signed preemption laws, with exceptions only allowed for police and military.

anvil_den

Reaction score
At those prices, they're fakes IMO. I never trust anything coming from China Taobao and cheaper than market price.

Congrats on your stones. They're like knives - different strokes for different folks. some work for some steels, others work for different steels. Buying from Japanese shops is just as expensive.

PS: during a recent experience, I noticed the Japanese togishi establishing the initial edge of a customer's knife with a diamond stone, then moving on to a black Naniwa 800 (not superstone), then refining it on a 3000 or 5000 grit stone. He then stropped it on some denim. Not once did he test the edge on paper...he just use the callouses on his hands to test the edge :)

PPS: establishing the initial edge properly is the key to any proper sharpening. Otherwise you're just polishing the edge which doesn't actually meet at the apex. Some steels take a lot longer to raise a burr.

Yes.. hitting the initial edge is key. Sometimes the reason that it takes a long time to develop that burr is because of the angle used.. especially with "better" steel-- there is this tendency to want to sharpen it at more acute angle... the stone simply do not touch the apex for the longest time while trying to sharpen it.

Then in a hurried attempt-- what happen very often is people tend to press down hard...in doing so it changes the angle of how the knife is actually clamped ever so slightly-- plus the unevenness if one holds long enough with the pressing force.. lots of micro unevenness occur over the edge especially with more curvy knives. Even by the time a full burr is formed and the final result after stropping, it simply doesn't feel like a clean smooth slice/ cutting action can be achieved....

Last edited:

akinto

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to get an affordable bushcraft knife and folding knife for camping and EDC respectively. The reason for the budget is because I'd like to be able to throw them into my check in bag when travelling without worrying about it being stolen while still being reliable as I'm using them for camping/backpacking.

I'm eyeing Moraknives for bushcraft but the mark up in SG is ridiculous. Is there any way I might be able to ship them over from US for a cheaper price?
Also, do you guys have any sub $50 reliable folding knife to recommend?

The last time I read through the thread I do remember someone posting a website that ships direct to SG but it has since slipped my mind.

TIA for any help given!

Last edited:

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking to get an affordable bushcraft knife and folding knife for camping and EDC respectively. The reason for the budget is because I'd like to be able to throw them into my check in bag when travelling without worrying about it being stolen while still being reliable as I'm using them for camping/backpacking.

I'm eyeing Moraknives for bushcraft but the mark up in SG is ridiculous. Is there any way I might be able to ship them over from US for a cheaper price?
Also, do you guys have any sub $50 reliable folding knife to recommend?

The last time I read through the thread I do remember someone posting a website that ships direct to SG but it has since slipped my mind.

TIA for any help given!

HGS has the Companion for $22. I think that is a reasonable price.

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys, knife noob here....

i just bought a ganzo knife from gearbest

ED1qgkA.jpg

no problem with customs right? i buy already but forget to check if this is legal in SG....

i check police website is this knife considered as a flick knife?

h_1504455490_6354903_9099ae1dcc.jpeg

i dun want to get in trouble with customs again because i got caught buying e-cig into sg before.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.