Would this 7 years old PC be upgradeable for Vid Editing today?

Blimeyomega

Reaction score
Hello all,

I would like some opinion on whether I might be able to renew the lifespan of this fully functional working PC of mine for video editing (1080p only, dont need 4k).

SPECS:
CPU: I5 2500
GPU: AMD R9 280X 3Gb
Drive: Crucial M500 & WD Blue 7.2k RPM (Been editing off the HDD and not SSD)
Ram: 8GB

Context:

- My curent PC satisfies all my needs (Photo editing, Games, Research and essays)
- Started video editing and when adding effects and playback it lags quite badly
- Would a new SSD or Ram help to smoothen things a little?

Would really like to seek opinions as it seems like the viable choice would be just maybe buy a new Ryzen CPU, SSD and Ram and recycle everything else.

That being said, I am not too sure if I would do video editing for $$ in the long term which is kind of stupid for you to spend 1k + to upgrade when my current PC serve all my need.

Thank you!

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u going to upgrade, u have to can only reuse your SSD/HDD and GPU, the rest u cant recycle cos they are not compatible with older system.

next is that if everything is still good, maybe can consider use it till it spoil and buy anew one?

Blimeyomega

Reaction score
if u going to upgrade, u have to can only reuse your SSD/HDD and GPU, the rest u cant recycle cos they are not compatible with older system.

next is that if everything is still good, maybe can consider use it till it spoil and buy anew one?

Yup I am aware of compatibility issues. I think the only thing I can upgrade is the Ram (8 > 16gb), but end of the day I am still being bottlenecked by my CPU right?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup I am aware of compatibility issues. I think the only thing I can upgrade is the Ram (8 > 16gb), but end of the day I am still being bottlenecked by my CPU right?

well ya pretty much, but i am not sure how is your usage as well, if you are multitaking and doing video editing at the same time. your cpu definitely is bottlenecking. (so as to your hdd.)

next is that if really u still wanna upgrade, still u can go for it. at least ryzen 5 1600 with a b350 board. if really can get another SSD to act as a cache drive or main rendering drive.

Blimeyomega

Reaction score
well ya pretty much, but i am not sure how is your usage as well, if you are multitaking and doing video editing at the same time. your cpu definitely is bottlenecking. (so as to your hdd.)

next is that if really u still wanna upgrade, still u can go for it. at least ryzen 5 1600 with a b350 board. if really can get another SSD to act as a cache drive or main rendering drive.

While editing, i probably dont do anything else. While rendering, I would at least like to be able to use youtube or watch videos or something but that seems to lag as well.

I guess the answer is really on me myself as no one could tell me if I would need an upgrade or so :/

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.