CFA vs Masters in Finance

callmeliong

Reaction score
CFA Level 2 study buddy

I want to find a study buddy for CFA level 2. or just someone i can ask question when i cannoottttt solveeeee.

esfar.gt

Reaction score
CFA....

Based on my exposure, i think it is very hard to do CFA, especially level 2 and level 3 whereas Masters in Finance covers generic areas of Finance. MS finance is not as extensive as CFA in terms of problem/case solution and coverage. CFA is more directed towards Accountancy and Strategic Finance that's why we see most of CA or CFA professionals as CFO's etc.

esfar.gt

Reaction score
From what i know. MOF cover generic finance while cfa are more specific in nature but MOF taught students more real life application while CFA is more exam focused.

I wonder why CFA is geared toward accountancy? I think most accountants would just choose to take CPA(which only required 6 papers) rather than taking CFA right?
When you say MOF teaches more real life applications, I believe you're talking about MOF taught in top business school. In general perspective, the fact is MOF is more theoretical in nature compare to CFA or CPA. I see so many people from MOF background never audited any firm. In fact there are universities targeting designing MOF modules on CFA curriculum and they advertise it aswell just to gain audience having fear of attempting CFA exams.

Tomfanatic

Reaction score
I am both a CFA charterholder and MBA from NUS. Here are the differences I know.

1. CFA costs about 5k including study material assuming you pass on first attempts. MBA costs 58k part time at NUS excluding misc fees. Full time program gives some forms of scholarship but don't expect a lot.
2. CFA is 10 times harder to pass. MBA just need to do group projects and you will be fine.
3. CFA needs a lot of discipline and time commitment. If you don't have the perseverance and interest in investment, don't do it.
4. CFA doesn't help you to find a job for career switcher, MBA does.
5. CFA gives you 10 times more satisfaction than MBA.
6. MBA teaches a lot of fluffy stuff but it's usually those fluffy stuff that gets you far in your career.
7. MBA gives you the opportunities to expand your network. CFA doesn't. Those alumni contacts will be helpful.
8. MBA gives you excuses to drink a lot and fool around. CFA is pure hard work.

Let me know if you need more info. Cheers.

Minkie

Reaction score
I'm working in the ib/cf team in a BB here in sg, and none of my colleagues in the same team hold a CFA, and they are not looking out for CFA holders during interviews either. A CFA is really more useful for portfolio management. Not so much for an investment banking/corporate finance/sales & trading role.

This is a good read on how useful CFA is to what you might be interested to do in the future:
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/cfa-investment-banking/

Hi. Thanks for reply. But more than often, do individual need cfa to enter investment line/forex trading sector because from what i know, cfa is only relevant and useful only after u got the work experience in investment related job?

So for those who dont have work exp and thinking of using cfa as a cert to find new job opportunity for themselves in investment related job. It wont be that helpful right?

Is there anyone with no cfa that manage to enter investment related line too? What junior role do they start from for freshie?

Last edited:

xxduckxx

Reaction score
I'm working in the ib/cf team in a BB here in sg, and none of my colleagues in the same team hold a CFA, and they are not looking out for CFA holders during interviews either. A CFA is really more useful for portfolio management. Not so much for an investment banking/corporate finance/sales & trading role.

This is a good read on how useful CFA is to what you might be interested to do in the future:
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/cfa-investment-banking/

agree with minkie here.. i'm a charterholder and work in buyside.. it is a good plus point when interviewing for junior roles.. if u want to do a mid-career switch be prepared to start from the bottom as a sai kang warrior data entry excel king for the seniors/pm.. reason being relevant experience still trumps and you will not get the senior role unless u have done something similarly previously.. which means this thread is quite useless to you haha!

so yes.. juniors and fresh grads its a plus point.. every young analyst out there will strive for it as in the larger buyside houses its a promotion requirement (esp those gov related funds).. small boutiques like mine not so much but it helped me get my foot in the door when i was a fresh grad

maisatomai

Banned
Reaction score
the local society approve once a month? I apply for charter many days already still no news. The work experience approved

TheAwakened

Reaction score
I’m enrolling for Dec 2018 CFA level 1 exam.
I cannot pm anyone as I am still a new member. If anyone is interested in joining / forming a group, you can whatsapp me at 86300691 and we can discuss further.

starskye

Reaction score
Print version of CFA e-book

Hi all, I have just signed up for CFA Level 1 December exam. Initially I thought I could just do with the ebook, but later I realised it's very hard to print it out. Hence, before I consider buying the print version from CFA, can I please ask if there is any lobang here in Singapore? Anybody selling photocopies of the print version? :x I prefer to study from bounded photocopies than actual books.:D

ivanftp

Reaction score
I did MSc Finance and completed my CFA level 1 when I was a student. Whole point was to make my resume look better when applying for jobs. After I got a job, I didn't continue taking level 2 and level 3. Didn't see a need for it as work experience was more important.

Ciaoyang

Reaction score
Hi, in need of advice here.
What are the odds of being accepted to MAF, if I have no relevant background in the finance industry, and only have an undergraduate degree in healthcare industry?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.