[Mini ITX] First time building help!

shengheee

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some recommendation on building a budget (~$1000) gaming desktop. The current build I've looked into is,

Motherboard: MSI B250I Gaming Pro AC ITX
CPU: I5 7500
Harddrive: Samsung 850 EVO (250GB)
RAM: Kingston Fury 2400 MHz (2x4GB)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1050Ti 4GB
PSU: EVGA B Bronze 450W
Casing: Coolermaster Elite 130 Mini-ITX

This the above sufficient or any advise do you guys have??

FlipGor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some recommendation on building a budget (~$1000) gaming desktop. The current build I've looked into is,

I would advise against buying any intel cpu for the time being as coffeelake is coming out soon with a increased core count across the board. Therefore, i would recommend you get a ryzen 1600 at the very least as a coffeelake i3 is rumored to be 4 cores already. If possible, i would also recommend you up your gpu to at least a 1060 3gb for better value as the performance jump from a 1050ti to a 1060 3gb is quite substantial while the price difference for both models is only around 50sgd, quite worth it for the performance jump IMO.

rvyne7

Reaction score
get 1x 8gb ram.... coz normally mitx mobo has only 2 slot for ram.. so you have more space to upgrade for later.

shengheee

Reaction score
@FlipGor Thanks for your recommendation. I think i will just wait for Coffee Lake to come out then decide. :)

shengheee

Reaction score
@riotpatriot Ok! shall wait for the new motherboard's prices to come out then decide! :)

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I would advise against buying any intel cpu for the time being as coffeelake is coming out soon with a increased core count across the board. Therefore, i would recommend you get a ryzen 1600 at the very least as a coffeelake i3 is rumored to be 4 cores already. If possible, i would also recommend you up your gpu to at least a 1060 3gb for better value as the performance jump from a 1050ti to a 1060 3gb is quite substantial while the price difference for both models is only around 50sgd, quite worth it for the performance jump IMO.

Coffee lake itx motherboards will only arrive sometime in December earliest.

riotpatriot

Reaction score
up to you: you buy intel now when december come you lose two cores for about same price.
gaming no big difference, but you do multi-thread program or run many program at once then difference will start to come out

I thought occupy both ram slot is better than using one?

this one... you buy 1x16GB you next time can buy another 1x16GB. you buy 2x8GB next time you want more like 2x16GB you stuck with your old 2x8GB.
only advise here is buy largest from what your budget can tahan

also you use 1 slot only single channel. two slot dual channel. performance diff hard to give correct answer...
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel/Page-3

last time got the matching pair thing (as in must buy pair to get max performance), now dunno DDR4 if still important or not
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1321493

Last edited:

shengheee

Reaction score
up to you: you buy intel now when december come you lose two cores for about same price.
gaming no big difference, but you do multi-thread program or run many program at once then difference will start to come out

this one... you buy 1x16GB you next time can buy another 1x16GB. you buy 2x8GB next time you want more like 2x16GB you stuck with your old 2x8GB.
only advise here is buy largest from what your budget can tahan

also you use 1 slot only single channel. two slot dual channel. performance diff hard to give correct answer...

last time got the matching pair thing (as in must buy pair to get max performance), now dunno DDR4 if still important or not

@riotpatriot Ok. Will take some time off to read those link that you've shared. Thank you! I will see if my budget fits well in one RAM or a pair of RAM.

icheb

Reaction score
"Asus got ITX AM4 motherboard this October."

Where is your source on this?? Ive been waiting for an ITX motherboard for the AM4 from Asus before I upgrade to Ryzen.

shengheee

Reaction score
Buy Ryzen lar. Asus got ITX AM4 motherboard this October. AMD got support socket AM4 till year 2020. So still got upgrade path if needed.

For gaming, 1x8gb 2400mhz is enough for the moment add more in the future.

But i don't know anything about AMD. I'm more familiar with Intel.

riotpatriot

Reaction score
installing no diff, no special drivers, no special step. can choose like how you choose which intel to buy

1BadAssLobster

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

RAM just get basic ones can alr, like Kingston ValueRAM 2133. No diff.

Casing, get Fractal Design Core 500, arrange fan in one intake on top, one exhaust at rear good enuff alr. Elite 130 is a pretty bad case for airflow.
Throw in a Cryorig M9i and you have a direct airflow from top > M9i > Exhaust.

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

shengheee

Reaction score
RAM just get basic ones can alr, like Kingston ValueRAM 2133. No diff.

Casing, get Fractal Design Core 500, arrange fan in one intake on top, one exhaust at rear good enuff alr. Elite 130 is a pretty bad case for airflow.
Throw in a Cryorig M9i and you have a direct airflow from top > M9i > Exhaust.

Zhun ah, ram 2133 MHz also can ah. That casing like nice leh. I saw one also, Thermaltake core V1.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.