[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

Godeau

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well... the antenna was angled in purpose to strengthen the signal towards the tv console and kitchen area.

Unless your house have multiple floors, your antenna angle, from picture only serves to enhance more on the top and bottom floors

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well... the antenna was angled in purpose to strengthen the signal towards the tv console and kitchen area.

godeau has told you why..

For that router orientation, your antenna should be vertically upwards.

Just imagine you holding a chopstick and you place the chopstick into the ring of a donut. The chopstick being an antenna and the donut being the coverage of wifi.

By using this analogy, you will know that your antenna placement basically helps your neighbours above and below you to have your wifi usage if they know the password... :D

dodongdodong

Master Member
Reaction score
godeau has told you why..

For that router orientation, your antenna should be vertically upwards.

Just imagine you holding a chopstick and you place the chopstick into the ring of a donut. The chopstick being an antenna and the donut being the coverage of wifi.

By using this analogy, you will know that your antenna placement basically helps your neighbours above and below you to have your wifi usage if they know the password... :D

thanks for the heads up

Firefly01

Reaction score
Any link to the instructions to do this? TIA..

Prepare to be without internet access for about an hour or so.

You will need:

1. A computer with a RJ45 Ethernet port.
2. An Ethernet cable.

Preparation:

1. Download the firmware you want to update to your computer.
2. Download a SSH client. PuTTY is a good choice. Just get putty.exe will do.
3. Download the ASUS router firmware restoration utility. It can be found on the same page as the official ASUS firmware.

Procedure.

1. On the computer that you are performing the upgrade, open the network adapter properties and configure a static IP. Any IP in the 192.168.1.xxx range is acceptable, as long as you don't use 192.168.1.1.
2. Connect the router to your computer using the Ethernet cable. Confirm that you are able to connect and log in to the router's web control panel as normal.
3. Go into the router's web control panel, under Administration -> System tab -> Service section, set Enable SSH to LAN Only and apply.
4. Run putty.exe. Enter 192.168.1.1 as the Host Name (or IP address) and click Open. Click Yes when the security alert window pops up.
5. Enter the same username and password as the one you use to access the router's web control panel.
6. After you have logged in, type "mtd-erase2 nvram" without the quotes and press Enter.
7. Close the SSH session and power off your router.
8. Using a paper clip/pen/something small, press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for at least 10 seconds. DO NOT RELEASE THE RESET BUTTON!
9. While still holding the reset button, power on the router. Check the power led. If it is constantly blinking at a moderately slow pace, you have entered recovery mode. If it only blinks a couple of times and stops, your router has booted normally. Power off the router and repeat from step 8.
10. Once you have booted the router into recovery mode, open the ASUS Firmware Restoration utility.
11. Browse and select the firmware you have downloaded (remember to unzip the .zip file and choose the .trx file) and click Upload.
12. The utility will start looking for your router and flash the firmware automatically. Once this is done, your router will reboot itself.

Optional WPS reset
13. After the router has rebooted itself, power off.
14. Press and hold the WPS button. Keep holding the WPS button and power on the router. Wait for about 20 seconds, then release the WPS button. If done correctly, the router should reset itself before booting up again.

lightbringer88

Reaction score
Slow speeds on AC88u

I recently changed to VQ's 1Gbps service from starhub's 100Mbps service. Unfortunately, ever since I changed, the router constantly tells me that there's a "connection error" even though I'm still getting internet.

However, with my computer plugged in to my router, my speeds are much lower (400+Mbps down, 500+Mbps up) than if I plug into the modem directly (700+Mbps down, 800+up). After factory resetting my router, the speeds rose to comparable levels to the direct modem route, but it only lasted a day or so before it fell back down to less than 500Mbps download.

I also updated my router's firmware via the web browser control panel; could that be a reason for my problem?

Simpsonskh

Reaction score
Prepare to be without internet access for about an hour or so.

You will need:

1. A computer with a RJ45 Ethernet port.
2. An Ethernet cable.................................................
Thank you for the detail steps.:)
This will not be easy for those busy ppl or less IT knowledge ppl.:o

May b those ppl who currently upgraded n still hv issued can try this method;)

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recently changed to VQ's 1Gbps service from starhub's 100Mbps service. Unfortunately, ever since I changed, the router constantly tells me that there's a "connection error" even though I'm still getting internet.

However, with my computer plugged in to my router, my speeds are much lower (400+Mbps down, 500+Mbps up) than if I plug into the modem directly (700+Mbps down, 800+up). After factory resetting my router, the speeds rose to comparable levels to the direct modem route, but it only lasted a day or so before it fell back down to less than 500Mbps download.

I also updated my router's firmware via the web browser control panel; could that be a reason for my problem?

Try doing a wps reset and fresh config.
See post above you, steps 13/14

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS AiMesh Beta for ASUS RT-AC88U is out.

Hi There,

New beta available today for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByEpTc0fDkeqZUR0dGtSR1o0OE0?usp=sharing

And now we make it a official name as AiMesh.

Here are changelogs

For RT-AC86U, RT-AC68U
1. UI
- Change AMAS to AiMesh.
- Change alogorithm for onboarding progress % count.
- Add reset modem page into QIS.
- Add some hint for user when DHCP Server and wireless authentication type changed.
- www: change the position of separating the ssid of wireless bands checkbox.~~~~~
- www: accroding to QIS 3.0 SPEC, divide WAN selection into 2 steps.
- [Update][AiMesh] www : Modify AiMesh naming.
- AiMesh system.
- Cap : AiMesh router.
- Slave : AiMesh node.
2. Enabled Roaming Feature at default setting.
3. New Sync Configuration
- Telnet
- SSH
- Roaming assistant
- Smart Connect
- MAC Filter
- Syslog
4. Auto reset default when onboarding failure.
5. Add renew ip mechanism in RE mode. [Bug#244]
6. Fixed an issue as RE can be onboarded after user login by IPAddress/index.asp.
7. RE can't be search after on-boarding failure by CAP.
8. Other minor bugs fix.

For RT-AC5300, RT-AC88U
First beta release.

Last edited:

Kegler

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this router now stable with the latest firmware? Or should i get something else instead

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.