What's BEST for your SSD & HDD ?

Viper0402

Reaction score
I know now SSDs basically do not need defragging anymore.

But I still use the old PerfectDisk 11 to defrag all my mechanical HDDs, which sees significant improvements after defrag.

However, latest versions of Diskeeper and PerfectDisk boast improvements to defrag SSDs as well.

What are your opinions?
PerfectDisk used to rule the defragging market, but now ?

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it probably runs trim which you can do using windows defrag utility > optimize

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

But I still use the old PerfectDisk 11 to defrag all my mechanical HDDs, which sees significant improvements after defrag.

However, latest versions of Diskeeper and PerfectDisk boast improvements to defrag SSDs as well.

What are your opinions?

Are you using mechanical drives for the OS and softwares? Typically, if you are not using mechanical drives for the OS, I don't see much point defragging it.
There is nothing much for you to maintain on SSDs since they should run TRIM on their own and with a significantly low seek time as compare to a mechanical drive, you will not experience any significant slowdowns after years of usage. Defragging does not work with SSDs because unlike mechanical drive that writes on any immediate empty space, data written to SSD gets allocated by the SSD controller and could be anywhere on the drive (my understanding is quite shallow here). Defragging your SSD will also kill it faster with the unnecessary writes.

Last edited:

m0n0n0ke

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I though must disable optimize for ssd in os property. ?

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What are your opinions?
You will end up FRAGGING your SSD if you defrag it.

As mentioned by someone else earlier. If OS is in SSD, you should not need to defrag it.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Defrag in SSD achieves nothing. TRIM achieves the equivalent outcome but works differently.

Viper0402

Reaction score
Are you using mechanical drives for the OS and softwares? Typically, if you are not using mechanical drives for the OS, I don't see much point defragging it.
There is nothing much for you to maintain on SSDs since they should run TRIM on their own and with a significantly low seek time as compare to a mechanical drive, you will not experience any significant slowdowns after years of usage. Defragging does not work with SSDs because unlike mechanical drive that writes on any immediate empty space, data written to SSD gets allocated by the SSD controller and could be anywhere on the drive (my understanding is quite shallow here). Defragging your SSD will also kill it faster with the unnecessary writes.

Yes, I only defrag mechanical drives with OS.

The following are mechanical drives:
1) Self D.I.Y. Gaming PC - i7-3770k, VelociRaptor(DHTZ) 1TB 10kRPM SATA HDD, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
2) Self D.I.Y. Kids' PC - Intel Core2Duo E8400, Western Digital VelociRaptor(HLFS) 150GB 10kRPM SATA HDD 16MB, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
3) Notebook - Acer 1820PTZ Tablet(touchscreen): Intel® Pentium® processor SU4100, 500 GB HDD, Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
4) Notebook - Dell Vostro 3750, Intel Core i5-2410M, 500GB 7200rpm SATAII hard-disk, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

The following is SSD with OS:
1) Notebook - Dell Latitude E5450, Intel® Core™ i5-5300U, 16GB DDR3L rams, Samsung PM871 SSD 256GB, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

The following is Hybrid SSHD:
1) Notebook - Dell Inspiron 14 7447, Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ, 8GB DDR3L rams, Seagate 1TB 5400rpm Hybrid SSHD 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive 8GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I believe for Hybrid SSHD, I need to defrag right?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.