[Comparison] Which Anti Virus brand do you recommend??

shengheee

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if i should purchase an Anti virus or a free edition (e.g. AVG free edition) is sufficient??

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
I would agree to the above user's choice of using Karspersky. It was the number 1 leading AV for quite a while followed by Eset AV.

I personally use Eset AV due to the ease of use as well as it being extremely light on your PC in terms of CPU usage. This is more of a programme that you just install and forget. I use the Eset Smart Security version which is now renamed to something else but with it, even before a suspicious download that may or may not be done by me is downloaded, the AV will stop the download and even prevent me from accessing a website which has malware or is known to be a scam/fraudulent website.

It also scans in the background using smart scan which is usually done after every signature virus update of the AV. And it does not even hit on the performance of my PC back during the 2000s when I was still running Pentium.

So yup. I kind of trust it so much that I have been using it even till today and it has yet to fail me.

shengheee

Reaction score
I would agree to the above user's choice of using Karspersky. It was the number 1 leading AV for quite a while followed by Eset AV.

I personally use Eset AV due to the ease of use as well as it being extremely light on your PC in terms of CPU usage. This is more of a programme that you just install and forget. I use the Eset Smart Security version which is now renamed to something else but with it, even before a suspicious download that may or may not be done by me is downloaded, the AV will stop the download and even prevent me from accessing a website which has malware or is known to be a scam/fraudulent website.

It also scans in the background using smart scan which is usually done after every signature virus update of the AV. And it does not even hit on the performance of my PC back during the 2000s when I was still running Pentium.

So yup. I kind of trust it so much that I have been using it even till today and it has yet to fail me.

Thanks for the recommendation! I was looking for an AV that uses not much of CPU as my previous AV (Trend Micro) slows down my PC when i was using it.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if i should purchase an Anti virus or a free edition (e.g. AVG free edition) is sufficient??

Thanks in advance for all the advice.
There are certain thing you should bare in mind.
Some or most free version are NOT ACTIVE.
Meaning they do not do any active scanning.
That is you have to activate the scan progress.
In this way the malware has already exist in your system and being active.
So you have to read some detail on how it work especially the way it run.

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So you don't recommend to buy?

I would also recommend Kaspersky Free. I've never paid for any antivirus for more than 15 years. I've used Avast, AVG, Avira Free, Panda Free - never had any virus or malware infection. Just run a thorough virus scan once a week is enough.

If you're using chrome enable netcraft extension to protect against phishing websites although if you use Kaspersky free or Avast they'll add their extensions to chrome.

ahwei91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend Kaspersky Free. I've never paid for any antivirus for more than 15 years. I've used Avast, AVG, Avira Free, Panda Free - never had any virus or malware infection. Just run a thorough virus scan once a week is enough.

If you're using chrome enable netcraft extension to protect against phishing websites although if you use Kaspersky free or Avast they'll add their extensions to chrome.

Is the Kaspersky free better than Avast free??? Does the Kaspersky free have exclusion list which we can exclude certain folder/drive to be scanned??? Thanks...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.