M1 FIBRE BROADBAND DISCUSSION - Part 2

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe due to submarine cable cut
w8 for them to repair it

edit:
noticed u are testing @ 10pm. that timing m1 has very slow international speed for the past few days
try other timing

Cable cut really affected performance to some areas, especially the Oceania region, but to East Asia, not that bad. Connection to North America, depends on where alr. :D

Even at 10am the international speed for 300Mbps seems to be low too. :eek:

Ya, maybe 10pm even worse, afterall that's the peak traffic period for SEA.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1Gbps plan no change no matter when, it has been the same since last year or two. Anytime sign up also the same deh, at least for now. Just the 300/500Mbps Fibre will change. (See the last paragraph.)

You CANNOT cancel or modify the 4G Mobile Broadband plan (SurfValue - 500MB). It's part of the contract, and if you cancel the line, you would have been deemed to TERMINATE the contract and pay the hefty cancellation fee and subsequent non-promo rates. Same applies for the home fixed line.

The router is AC1200G+ unless they opt to change, if so, maybe to the AC58U. It seems like a side grade but actually is a huge improvement in terms of features. Performance maybe slightly faster but I can't confirm.

The Internet Security just tell them you want to OPT-OUT. There won't be any charges for opting out, and you don't need to call M1 to cancel after the 3 months also. Opting out don't terminate the contract, it'll just be excluded from your plan.

If you want transfer from VQ to M1, it'll require your VQ contract to finish, AND you'll be disconnected for a few days afaik.
NLT need to terminate the connection to VQ, and then transfer to M1.

Better off just releasing the unused MR port, it won't cause any service disruption for you. Just cancel your VQ only after your M1 Fibre line is up and running.

You sign up for M1 Fibre now is too early. I would suggest maybe checking with them only during SITEX period, who knows what they'll do as TPG is launching services soon.

Btw the 500Mbps @ $29 promo was launched in SITEX 2017, before that all major IT Shows has been 300Mbps @ $29. The 500Mbps promo will be there for up to 1 month from the start of any major roadshow since SITEX 2017, thereafter revert back to 300Mbps @ $29.

I dun mind taking up the mobile broadband and leave it at home as white elephant as long as they dun charge me after xx months of free usage.

As for home fixed service, im still using Singtel landline so can i just ask them not to install?

For router, i may either use back my aged AC68U or just get AC86U by then, hope got some discounts by M1.

I may plan to jump over during Mar 2018 but just asking now for some planning.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dun mind taking up the mobile broadband and leave it at home as white elephant as long as they dun charge me after xx months of free usage.

As for home fixed service, im still using Singtel landline so can i just ask them not to install?

For router, i may either use back my aged AC68U or just get AC86U by then, hope got some discounts by M1.

Having 2 free mobile broadband but not using is fine.
As long as you do not connect to the ONT is fine as there will be a phone number as in my case.
As for the new router there seem to some bought at 190 and trying to sell at 300 fast deal, checkout here n others.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The SurfValue 500MB will be free throughout the Fibre contract, its only when you're out of the contract then it'll be chargeable at $8/mth, but if you're out of the Fibre contract you can just call in to remove the SurfValue line.

The home line will be included with M1 number instead, and you can just don't plug in to use anyway.

However, why use the SingTel analog line when you can save a lot of money when using the free M1 digital line with unlimited local calls? Electricity cost way less than the quarterly subscription and usage charges of the SingTel analog line.

The router Erm its up to you, I'm actually still using my ASUS RT-N66U as the main router (for routing and VPN Server) and the RT-AC1200G+ as the main AP. There's one more Low speed Low power AP for the master bedroom for my parents to stream videos.

ntec66

Reaction score
By right you should be getting 150Mbps for International speed. May be you want to complain to M1. How is your speed to Hong Kong? You may be using i3 or i5 processor?

International Speed for 300Mbps Fibre also don't seem that good, but also not that bad ah I guess. Pay $5-10/mth lesser, mai hiam buay pai. :s13::s22:

Thanks for the test results, speed to USA is surely way too slow for 300/500Mbps when 1Gbps is so many times faster (more than 10x difference in some LA tests!)

Definitely must complain to M1 highest level for this obvious shortchange of speed versus $ paid.

ntec66

Reaction score
maybe due to submarine cable cut
w8 for them to repair it

edit:
noticed u are testing @ 10pm. that timing m1 has very slow international speed for the past few days
try other timing

Daytime USA speed also bad for 500Mbps plan:

r1rBj4m.png

Asia speed is quite close for 500Mbps (mine) and 1Gbps (Henry's) results.

demonious

Reaction score
This asus 1200g+ router is rather old model.
The speed is max at 867 Mbps.
But you may have to pay a high price for new model.
Some bought the new and quickly do a fast deal to earn.

I am not sure on this brand support.
My first time update firmware was guide by the DLink technical support staff.
They provide the firmware link, guide on the procedure to update firmware.
Finally do factory reset and login to setting page to do the necessary settings.
All done online on 1 call as waiting time for processing which take several minutes while the staff hold on to the line.

Thanks so much for ur advice.

I think it's suitable for my 500mbps plan I don't mind at all
The range is satisfactory after swapping out an even older router.
However my speed is currently underwhelming. 100-120 mbps on 5G wifi local server standing beside router.

Not sure what settings I could look into more, need help pointing me in the right direction.

Couple settings I've made changes to following some positive feedback in the earlier posts. Thanks to those who contribute to this thread n helped others :)

Wifi 2.4Ghz - 40Mhz setting
Wifi 5 Ghz - 80Mhz setting

Hope I did this correctly. On android with wifi analyzer I chose the control channels for 2.4G and 5G that's least occupied, on 2.4G not possible due to it's characteristically higher reach, so chose a channel that made it the sole highest peak at that particular channel.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for ur advice.

I think it's suitable for my 500mbps plan I don't mind at all
The range is satisfactory after swapping out an even older router.
However my speed is currently underwhelming. 100-120 mbps on 5G wifi local server standing beside router.

Not sure what settings I could look into more, need help pointing me in the right direction.

Couple settings I've made changes to following some positive feedback in the earlier posts. Thanks to those who contribute to this thread n helped others :)

Wifi 2.4Ghz - 40Mhz setting
Wifi 5 Ghz - 80Mhz setting

Hope I did this correctly. On android with wifi analyzer I chose the control channels for 2.4G and 5G that's least occupied, on 2.4G not possible due to it's characteristically higher reach, so chose a channel that made it the sole highest peak at that particular channel.

Actually your AC1200G+ is not old model, it is a basic entry level AC router. Honestly the most important is the location of your router, it must be at the best location. Next will be your notebook wifi adapter and notebook specs. What is your wifi adapter? Is it at least a 2x2 wifi adapter?

Last edited:

Granzon

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Kindly advise which will be better for my home.
Originally considering 500 Mbps M1 but after reading some forum comments, seems that 500 Mbps plan has a greater reduction in speed compared to 1 Gbps plan for international surfing?

M1's plan is to top up $5 per month for a router? can we opt out of the router and buy our own router outside? (and save some money per month or get faster internet speed) (because $5 x 24 months = $120 is about the cost of a new router outside?)

What about the other 2 telcos? Worth considering their equivalent plans?

For routers, if we just use their default routers, is the internet browsing and download speed still acceptable? Or should we pay more for the routers to get significantly more speed?

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Originally considering 500 Mbps M1 but after reading some forum comments, seems that 500 Mbps plan has a greater reduction in speed compared to 1 Gbps plan for international surfing?

M1's plan is to top up $5 per month for a router? can we opt out of the router and buy our own router outside? (and save some money per month or get faster internet speed) (because $5 x 24 months = $120 is about the cost of a new router outside?)

For routers, if we just use their default routers, is the internet browsing and download speed still acceptable? Or should we pay more for the routers to get significantly more speed?
For M1 if you take 1Gbps you will have to take the router. If do not want router then go for 500Mbps. For 500Mbps plan if you are using cat.5e cable the speed is ok. If you use wifi then your router location must be ideal. Your notebook wifi adapter must be at least 2x2 or 3x3. Then you can get good speed. Many people may be using low end notebook so their speed affected.

An example of a 2x2 wifi adapter:

https://ark.intel.com/products/94150/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8265

USB wifi adapter 2x2

https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/USBAC56R/

Last edited:

-Grift-

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Most if not almost all content are local or have local POP / CDN / servers now a days. Unless you seek very specific content it won't matter much.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The 300/500Mbps Fibre pay $5/mth for the router, while 1Gbps Fibre is included alr.

You can use other generic routers (Linksys/ASUS/D-Link/Xiaomi etc), but of course not routers specifically for other ISPs (SingNet / MyRepublic especially).

The included router can get up to 400Mbps over 2X2 802.11ac clients, >950Mbps on LAN (Ethernet).

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on your needs. M1 has the flexibility of using any router I causing wifi meshes. M1 also bundling velop with their service and you can connect it directly to ont and it functions like a router. Also, not forgetting other models from Asus or tplink..

But must also remember that good wifi routers outside can never be as cheap as $120 arh..

Hi Guys,

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The SurfValue 500MB will be free throughout the Fibre contract, its only when you're out of the contract then it'll be chargeable at $8/mth, but if you're out of the Fibre contract you can just call in to remove the SurfValue line.

The home line will be included with M1 number instead, and you can just don't plug in to use anyway.

However, why use the SingTel analog line when you can save a lot of money when using the free M1 digital line with unlimited local calls? Electricity cost way less than the quarterly subscription and usage charges of the SingTel analog line.

The router Erm its up to you, I'm actually still using my ASUS RT-N66U as the main router (for routing and VPN Server) and the RT-AC1200G+ as the main AP. There's one more Low speed Low power AP for the master bedroom for my parents to stream videos.

Parents still wanna use the same no. and not change it...Its rarely used anyway...

But can the digital line retain same analog number i have now?

ntec66

Reaction score
Can any 1 Gbps or faster M1 user run speedtests to USA servers again please.

For 500 Mbps, tonight's speed has dropped further :

Yu3eqTQ.png

:(

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Parents still wanna use the same no. and not change it...Its rarely used anyway...

But can the digital line retain same analog number i have now?

Yes you can. I ported my SingTel Analog line to M1 Digital line when I signed up for M1 Fibre since 2011, till now still foc. :D

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't see a rationale for doing speed tests against a foreign server to judge on the speed.

Nothing will be changing no matter how many speed tests you do..

ntec66

Reaction score
Thanks Grift, your 1 Gbps still very good.

Can you or anyone on 1 Gbps further test with actual downloads from LA servers:

Grab this simple tool...
- http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/download_speed_tester.html
copy-paste the above addresses into it and run.

my 500Mbps:

Mgsoemp.png

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes you can. I ported my SingTel Analog line to M1 Digital line when I signed up for M1 Fibre since 2011, till now still foc. :D

Thats good to know, will propose this to parents when the time comes.

Thanks for your efforts in answering my questions.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.