READ THIS FIRST! VIEWS ON UNIVERSITIES & DEGREES RECOGNITION IN SINGAPORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

proudaneh

Reaction score
how do people get a list of the credited universities and programs? i have a friend who kena cheated by the clemen chiang before. he and his wife - the one who owns Cozy Cot - they are crooks who were guilty but they never paid back money. then he got fake degree one.

bouncyrolypoly

Reaction score
Hi! Is it possible to get a private degree, then get masters in a local uni? Hope somebody would be able to share their experiences with me. Thank you!

intime

Reaction score
Hi! Is it possible to get a private degree, then get masters in a local uni? Hope somebody would be able to share their experiences with me. Thank you!

Yes, it is possible.
There were instances where graduates holding a distance learning degree manage to get into a masters degree programme from a singapore university.

And the same rules apply, you will be competing with other candidates for admission, so even in a distance learning degree, you have to do well to get a good honours and other requirements like, GMAT, GRE, languages, recommendation letters, work experiences, and/or dissertation results.

FieldName

Reaction score
Can SIT degree (hosted by SIT) with honors apply for PhD or masters in NTU/NUS? If possible are the chances quite slim?

intime

Reaction score
Can SIT degree (hosted by SIT) with honors apply for PhD or masters in NTU/NUS? If possible are the chances quite slim?

Yes. Possible, but your need to take note of the other factors that influence your chance to gain admission into a post graduate degree and work on them.

esfar.gt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have done MBA from University of Wollongong, I am looking forward to pursue PhD. Any recommendations? Scholarships? Admission Criteria? Or Reference of any relevant forum

SgUser2277

Reaction score
tbh, SIT is one of the better choices than sim/other pte unis

Agree! SIT uses very up to date software and machines, it is good exposure and experience. However, when you start working you might notice companies still use old programs and software that differ a lot from what the school taught. BUT - always good to stay up to date - plus point for employers!

SnowyFlameZ

Reaction score
Saw this site showing graduate pay from various companies in Singapore. Some have comments. May help in deciding choice of course.

theres no "www" in front:

freshbread.me

Muhd.anas

Reaction score
Definitely can. The Uni is looking at you research and your performance. They do not look at where you are from. Hope this helps.

Boy_94

Reaction score
Part-Time studies in NUS (School of Continuous & Lifelong Learning)

Howdy everybody...

It's currently my first week in NUS' part-time degree program and I'm feeling... meh. The lecturer can't even teach Engineering math well... im so pissed.

Just wanna sincerely get views/opinions on my current part-time degree I'm doing called Bachelor of Technology in Electronics Engineering.

It'd be good to see people whom graduated with this degree provide their experience and how this degree benefited their career or pay scale.

I'd like to teach in the future though, will this degree benefit me in any sense or should I opt for a NIE degree next year? Currently 23 and just ORD-ed from NS.

Thanks a bunch people!! :)

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I have some doubts and would like seek all seniors for advices.

Why do Singaporeans study Overseas instead of Local Universities? The only two reasons I can think of and assumed (Please correct me if I am wrong) is, (a) They did not hit the requirements/rejected by the schools. (b) The course they want to study is not available in Singapore.

Am I right to say that?

Yes, you are correct.

If these are only part of the reasons, what other reasons why they would consider studying overseas?Is it because the certificate will be more recognised in any ways?

Yes, you are correct. For example, Professional Engineers Board Singapore (PEB Sg) only recognized local or on campus degree. PEB Sg do not recognized distance learning degree from PEIs.

If that is the case, why do they not want to go for private institution (Such as PSB Academy, Kaplan, etc) whereby they also do offer Overseas Universities? As compared in studying Singapore (~$20K for the whole degree) whereas studying Overseas (~$30K per year, excluding all other expenses).

In overseas university, you will learn from Teaching Assistant who may have 0 working experience but you experience the country culture & learn about country work practices in lecture.

In Sg PEIs, you will learn from Lecturer who may have some working experience but you experience local culture & learn about local work practices in lecture.

For example, the different between US & China business.

US: Close Business deal before drinking to celebrate.

China: Drink first before talk about business deal.

The reason I am asking because I have a friend (She is a Malaysian) whom studied in Australia and came back working her first job at Big 4 (In Malaysia). From what I heard, with just a degree certificate (Without ACCA), it is very tough to even enter mid-tier company in Singapore, needless to say Big 4. But she said that these companies like to recruit Overseas Degree Holders. I am not sure how true is this.. Anyone can advise?

If this is true, will there still any difference if I were to go for private institution (Such as PSB Academy, Kaplan, etc) when they also do offer Overseas Universities (Such as, UOW, Coventry, etc)? Like what I mentioned earlier, comparing that studying in Singapore will cost approximately ~$20K for the whole degree whereas studying Overseas will cost approximately ~$30K per year, excluding all other expenses.

Big4 & mid-tier firms groom their accounting staffs to become Public Accountant by meeting the requirement of getting Chartered Accountant Singapore (CA Sg).

That why Big4 & mid-tier firms mostly accept local graduate with good Hons Degree (2nd Upper Hons & above) or/and network. Those from local universities may already secure a job during their internship before they even graduated from university. However as long as you have a good Hons Degree from PEIs from ISCA recognized quantification list, you may still get a chance to enter Big4 & mid-tier firms.

For your Malaysian friend's case, I suspect her degree is not from ISCA recognized quantification list or she do not have good result which is the reason why she cannot even get into mid-tier firms.

To be a Public Accountant in the past, one must have a Certified Public Accountants of Singapore (CPA Sg). Having ACCA is one of the way to get CPA Sg. However now CPA Sg have change to CA Sg, it seem like ACCA is not recognized by ISCA for CA Sg.

That why I hear that Big4 & mid-tier firms have stop recruiting fresh ACCA holders.

However MNCs & SMEs may not be well versed or even care about CA Sg since they do not needs their accounting staffs to be Public Accountant, your friend can consider to apply job in MNCs & SMEs.

I graduated with PSB Academy holding a Diploma in Business Administration (Accounting and Finance) certificate and would like to further my studies by going for degree majoring in Accountancy.

The routes I can only go for is either studying in private institution or overseas since local Universities is definitely not possible. But I am very confused about this.

Also, I would also like to ask that what are the chances be like for me to be exempted for 1-2 years (off 3-years course) if I were to study Overseas (Australia/UK), considering that I am not holding a local Diploma? My grades were still okay for Diploma.

Any seniors can kindly explain and enlighten me please?

Thank you very much! :)

A private Diploma like Diploma from PSB Academy is useless when you want to have exemption in overseas universities (OUs) if OUs do not have any partnership (benefits) with PEIs like PSB Academy.

So chose those accounting degree from OUs list that partnership with PSB Academy & ISCA recognized quantification list.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Kyoji,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking up your time to read and your prompt replies. Thank you so much for your kind detailed explanation on my doubts!

Do you meant that basically both studying in Singapore or Overseas is actually exactly the same, and the only differences is basically just the country culture. The disadvantages for studying Overseas is that I might get a Teaching Assistant who may have 0 working experience while in Singapore I may get a experience Teacher? In that case, isn't studying in PEIs in Singapore sounds "better" in a way?

You miss out the point on getting a practicing certificate (licence) from Professional Bodies. For example, Professional Engineers Board Singapore (PEB Sg) only recognized local or on campus degree. PEB Sg do not recognized distance learning degree from PEIs.

Singaporeans always get short change for Regional position when compete jobs with foreigners. Local employer will always chose foreigners because their home country consider as 'Region' experience. That why it will be good to have overseas experience over local.

Think you misread my post here hehe. My Malaysian friend did get into Big4 after returning from Australia and what's more, she did not go for ACCA (But I heard that she is going to take CPA soon). She told me that companies like Big4 like to recruit Overseas Degree Holder. But from what I have surveyed in Singapore, people said that it is tough to even enter mid-tire companies with just an Accountancy Degree (Without ACCA). Therefore, I am thinking is it because of her pure luck whereas she managed to get into Big4 with her first try moreover is her first job.

Speaking of Bachelor with Hons, I realised that most Australia Universities do not offers Hons? Or was it probably just nice the ones I am looking at. Haha.

Yes, Australia mostly offered Bachelor Degree instead of direct Hons Degree. So those who have good result will get 'with Merit' or 'with Distinction'. In theory, Bachelor Degree with Distinction is lower then a 3rd Class Hons Degree but employer are not stupid.

Because of this sentence, I am in a dilemma on whether this really matters and if there will be a difference on "more recognised" certificates if I :

1) Study Overseas University
2) Study in Singapore PEI that offers Overseas University

After you graduated, will you remain in overseas to work or come back to Singapore to work? If come back to Singapore to work, no point waste so many money when you can get the same degree from PEIs since both are pay the same salary in Singapore.

So far, PSB Academy do offer Coventry University - Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Accounting and Finance. Since I took my Diploma with PSB Academy, if I were to progress my degree with them, I will be exempted a year and proceed to year two (3-year program) and I will also be exempted 9 papers from ACCA. But honesty I got no idea whether if Coventry is good as compared with studying at other Universities in Australia. Whenever I mentioned about Coventry to others, all they said was "I have never heard of this University before".

And TBH, I am still very confused about all these ACCA, CPA, and others. I have got no idea what are the real differences between these.

I also did a quick check earlier with a few Australia Universities and Singapore Agents. They told me that based on my results, I would probably get a year off (3-years). However, I still have to send in my application for them to assess before knowing the real results.

To/Dear All Seniors :
Is there any UK/Australia Universities that you would highly recommend or is more well-known in Accountancy area? Will you personally recommend to study in Singapore or Overseas based on your own/relatives/friends experiences?

Once again, I thank everyone for your time and kind advices. Have a great day ahead! :)

In layman term, Chartered Accountant (CA) & Certified Public Accountants (CPA) is a Public Accountant licence. You needs to meet requirement like experience, qualification & etc to get the licence. Depend on the country, it is up to the Professional Bodies to call CA, CPA or whatever name they like. ACCA is just a qualification like a degree.

I already advice you to pick the university from ISCA recognized qualification list. You should do your homework cause Coventry is not a recognized qualification. Of course, end of day if you can confirm that you will not want to be Public Accountant for your career, you can always take any accounting degree.

Not sure if ISCA recognized ACCA for CA Sg & let assume it is recognized. Why do you needs to get a degree follow by ACCA (waste time & money) when you can directly get a degree & get your CA Sg?

I feel that you are not ready yet cause you do not know what you want.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am I right to say that? If these are only part of the reasons, what other reasons why they would consider studying overseas? Is it because the certificate will be more recognised in any ways? If that is the case, why do they not want to go for private institution (Such as PSB Academy, Kaplan, etc) whereby they also do offer Overseas Universities? As compared in studying Singapore (~$20K for the whole degree) whereas studying Overseas (~$30K per year, excluding all other expenses).

If this is true, will there still any difference if I were to go for private institution (Such as PSB Academy, Kaplan, etc) when they also do offer Overseas Universities (Such as, UOW, Coventry, etc)? Like what I mentioned earlier, comparing that studying in Singapore will cost approximately ~$20K for the whole degree whereas studying Overseas will cost approximately ~$30K per year, excluding all other expenses.

Also, I would also like to ask that what are the chances be like for me to be exempted for 1-2 years (off 3-years course) if I were to study Overseas (Australia/UK), considering that I am not holding a local Diploma? My grades were still okay for Diploma.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
OZ isn't sgd$30K. and it wouldn't be any exemptions.

GO8 cheapest is Adelaide and its AUD$38k add health insurance/books etc close to AUD$40K. plus living easy aud$52k+.
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/degree-finder/2018/bcom_bcom.html

if you budget is sgd$60-80k going to OZ not going to happen.

UK also ~£30k for cardiff (living+tuition), cheaper Bangor also ~£23k
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/course/accounting-bsc

unless U brave ulu Uni overseas.. even so its tight.
http://www.mun.ca/undergrad/money/index.php

just study locally and work your way up

ISCA Associate accredited degrees incomplete list
https://isca.org.sg/media/779385/list-of-recognised-accounting-degrees-for-associate.pdf

Last edited:

Polaris6647

Reaction score
What are other ways of seeking admission to NTU/NUS if GPA is way below cut off? Mine is only 3.2

I really want to study economics or public policy degree in NUS/NTU. However, my poly GPA is only at 3.2.

I am strong in CCA though. Is there any other way of getting into any of these uni so that I can use my CCA and also present my portfolio?

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I have some doubts and would like seek all seniors for advices.

Why do Singaporeans study Overseas instead of Local Universities? The only two reasons I can think of and assumed (Please correct me if I am wrong) is, (a) They did not hit the requirements/rejected by the schools. (b) The course they want to study is not available in Singapore.

My friends could have gotten into NUS and NTU with their local diplomas. They chose to go overseas as they have received exemptions for their diplomas. That was at a time before the Australian programs are so popular. The exemptions then, were generous. They could complete the program in a year / 2 semesters.

I did my program overseas as my program is available in Singapore is a long distance program and the fees were more expensive than if I went overseas.

Hi Kyoji,
Speaking of Bachelor with Hons, I realised that most Australia Universities do not offers Hons? Or was it probably just nice the ones I am looking at. Haha.

Honors year is an additional year and you have to be invited to do that as in your grades have to be good enough for honors (in Australia).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.