MESH WiFI

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, it's helpful even in small houses since the layout differs in each house, location of structural walls, the bomb shelter room, and of course the wireless signal landscape in your area of use. Too many variables that bog down a single router's capability.

Do check out how we've tested the linksys velop to see what it can do as opposed to a strong router and other options. The differnce is tangible.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-linksys-velop-review-enveloping-your-home-wi-fi

Of course the ultimate is to use multiple routers, but there's more configuration to be done and they eat up more space.

Asus top range router also cannot cover the whole 5 room hdb if you place it at one far corner. Mesh is useful if you do not have lan points near dead spot area.

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
Netgear Orbi supports MU-MIMO which can penetrate thru thick wall and it supersede 2.4 and 5GHz signal in other words, there is no need to select either of the ac signal to login to the router. Thus orbi is ezy to use even for novice users

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Netgear Orbi supports MU-MIMO which can penetrate thru thick wall and it supersede 2.4 and 5GHz signal in other words, there is no need to select either of the ac signal to login to the router. Thus orbi is ezy to use even for novice users

Smoke people also must smoke correctly.
What has MU-MIMO got to do with signal strength ? :s13::s22::s8:

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
Seems like Orbi is now a true Mesh WIFI with the latest update...

Announcing the availability for OrbiOS 2.0.
This release includes 2 community requested features that we're happy to deliver:

1) Daisy Chain - which allows Orbi Satellites to talk to each other. This extends the reach of the Orbi system, especially in long or tall floorplans.

2) Improvements to the Attached Device page, which will now show which Orbi each device is connected to, and over which frequency (2.4 or 5GHz). This page also shows how each Orbi Satellite's upstream Orbi is.

3) Due to field feedback, we've brought back the Radio Transmit Power control

4) Allows you to rename devices & your Orbi Satellites via orbilogin
It also has many bug fixes and incremental improvements

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
I didn't understand the meaning of MESH intially.. Now I do. Thanks.

I guess the further away, the more device it has to talk to before reaching the router. So if it's talking to the 3rd in line, the 3rd inline has to relay to 2nd and then 1st before reaching the router.

Could be quite slow if the place is huge, right ?

1) Daisy Chain - which allows Orbi Satellites to talk to each other. This extends the reach of the Orbi system, especially in long or tall floorplans.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I didn't understand the meaning of MESH intially.. Now I do. Thanks.

I guess the further away, the more device it has to talk to before reaching the router. So if it's talking to the 3rd in line, the 3rd inline has to relay to 2nd and then 1st before reaching the router.

Could be quite slow if the place is huge, right ?

You always have the option of getting extra units. Latency will never be as fast as wired solutions.

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question.

Mine is a 4room HDB.

My current set up is Asus AC1200 inside the DB box wired to the ONT. I have a secondary router (NT56) wired to lan point to bedroom 3 to act as access point.

However, I still been receiving poor signal in MBR and MBR toilet.

If I were to use 1 no of goggle wifi to replace this secondary router in bedroom 3, will be range be better and solve the wifi signal issue in mbr?

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but curious about this type of problem. Can I ask you:

1. Is the speed of the network good if you connect your device (or other devices, like laptop) directly to the lan point in the MBR ?

2. Your MBR AP has a different SSID as the one in the DB, right ? If you move the MBR AP to another room, and try connecting the device to that AP, how is the speed like ?

3. If you place the router in the DB and access the Wifi from other rooms, would the DB block the signal (metal casing, right ?) ?

4. I don't know what device you are connecting to the MBR AP, but do you also connect those device to the other router ? What is the speed like ? Could it be the device itself giving the problem ?

Just sharing... In my case, I use different devices in the MBR and MBR toilet. For some, the signal is fast but others are not good, even break. So I have a XiaoMi Repeater 2 there (and I switch it on only when I need it). Actually, there is no drop in the speed via the XiaoMi Repeater 2 even though the repeater half the speed, the device does not experience drop in speed as they are already operating only in the "half speed", if you know what I mean.

Hi guys, I have a question.

Mine is a 4room HDB.

My current set up is Asus AC1200 inside the DB box wired to the ONT. I have a secondary router (NT56) wired to lan point to bedroom 3 to act as access point.

However, I still been receiving poor signal in MBR and MBR toilet.

If I were to use 1 no of goggle wifi to replace this secondary router in bedroom 3, will be range be better and solve the wifi signal issue in mbr?

Reaction score
reply in red.,...

I'm no expert but curious about this type of problem. Can I ask you:

1. Is the speed of the network good if you connect your device (or other devices, like laptop) directly to the lan point in the MBR ? Yes its good, cos the lan point is hard wired direct to the main router at ONT

2. Your MBR AP has a different SSID as the one in the DB, right ? If you move the MBR AP to another room, and try connecting the device to that AP, how is the speed like ? If I move the AP to bedroom 2, the signal is ok. But not so, for bedroom 3 cos its further away from mbr. I'm reluctant to place the AP at bedroom room 2 cos its my kid bedroom. Not sure any radiation risk

3. If you place the router in the DB and access the Wifi from other rooms, would the DB block the signal (metal casing, right ?) ? My bad, its the DB cabinet, not in DB. The signal cant reach mbr which is the furthest. signal full in living, full in br 3, drops 30% in br 2, non existent in mbr

4. I don't know what device you are connecting to the MBR AP, but do you also connect those device to the other router ? What is the speed like ? Could it be the device itself giving the problem ? I doubt. I'm using mobile phone

Just sharing... In my case, I use different devices in the MBR and MBR toilet. For some, the signal is fast but others are not good, even break. So I have a XiaoMi Repeater 2 there (and I switch it on only when I need it). Actually, there is no drop in the speed via the XiaoMi Repeater 2 even though the repeater half the speed, the device does not experience drop in speed as they are already operating only in the "half speed", if you know what I mean.

PsyClick

Reaction score
Can someone help explain to a non tech person.
If netgear Orbi claim their coverage is up to 6000 sqft, isn't it too much for people who lives in average of 1000 sqft hdb?

If I am just need my 1000sqft hdb to have good coverage of wifi, do you guys recommend 2x router or still mesh?

Thanks

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
reply in red.,...

So essentially, you question is to compare the strength of the Google Wifi and your current router in Bedroom 3 ? I don't know how to do a comparison.

I think the Mesh is good if you want to have a single SSID and seemlessly switch within the Mesh. Else, could get another router with better signal or even upgrade your main router with a stronger signal or extended antenna to cover your room.

I thought one of the configuration of the Mesh, you could put the Mesh in the MBR without having to connect it to a Lan port (which I presume you don't have in the MBR) ?

Just my thoughts, not an expert :)

axay72

Reaction score
Possible I purchased my own Mesh Wi-Fi Device and hook up with Starhub fiber router , does it work ?

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Smoke people also must smoke correctly.
What has MU-MIMO got to do with signal strength ? :s13::s22::s8:

this one smoked too heavily liao LOL, MU-MIMO can go through wall meh? I think he mistaken it with beamforming.

Multi-user, multiple-input, multiple-output technology—better known as MU-MIMO (a.k.a. Next-Gen AC or AC Wave 2)—allows a Wi-Fi router to communicate with multiple devices simultaneously. This decreases the time each device has to wait for a signal and dramatically speeds up your network. Considering that the average household has upwards of eight devices battling for bandwidth simultaneously, MU-MIMO will increasingly improve your Wi-Fi experience.

For home Wi-Fi users, annoyances such as choppy video and continual buffering can really put a damper on the fun, but anyone who uses a Wi-Fi network will benefit from the performance improvements of MU-MIMO. Here are some of the ways MU-MIMO kicks common Wi-Fi problems to the curb:

Both MU-MIMO and non-MU-MIMO (SU-MIMO) devices operate faster because all devices on the network have less time to wait to get data from the Wi-Fi router.
MU-MIMO technology increases the capacity and efficiency of your router, allowing it to handle more Wi-Fi-intensive activities such as streaming and gaming.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You can, but it would mean you'll be managing two SSIDs - one by the mesh, the other by the StarHub router. You could of course just use the mesh network's SSID for all your wireless needs.

Possible I purchased my own Mesh Wi-Fi Device and hook up with Starhub fiber router , does it work ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.