Linksys Velop - WiFi that sets you free

bbturbo

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies bros (Somewhat & Kero89).

My apmt, which is 20 years old, unfortunately does not have any trucking/cat6 cabling etc throughout. I intend to lay myself as I was quoted about $200-$280 each point :eek:

From bedroom downstairs with the router...
one cable to living room
one cable to 2nd flr bedroom A
one cable to 2nd flr bedroom B

Cross my fingers that it'll be straight forward.

somewhat

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies bros (Somewhat & Kero89).

My apmt, which is 20 years old, unfortunately does not have any trucking/cat6 cabling etc throughout. I intend to lay myself as I was quoted about $200-$280 each point :eek:

From bedroom downstairs with the router...
one cable to living room
one cable to 2nd flr bedroom B

Cross my fingers that it'll be straight forward.

May be you should test your Velop nodes with wireless connection first?

Get three nodes Velop, put parent node near your modem, 2nd node at living room and 3rd at 2nd floor. See whether the speed is acceptable to you. See if there is any wifi dead spot. Try to make sure that the 2nd node and the 3rd node are connect directly to the parent node. If it is not possible, then relocate your parent node by using cable.

Laying cable is very troublesome. Mesh wifi like Velop is created to solve this problem. Unless you are really hardcore on the wifi speed, Velop nodes with wireless connection should be sufficed for your normal usage.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mu-Mimo does not overcome physical constraints. It merely overcome the fact that traditional wifi routers can only talk to one client at one time, hence the slow down if there are many clients with ongoing traffic at the same time..

Linksys velop supports MU-MIMO which can penetrate thru thick wall and it supersede 2.4 and 5GHz ac signal in other words there is no need to select either of the ac signal to login to the router. Thus velop is ezy to use even for novice users

bbturbo

Reaction score
Somewhat, I think that's actually a good suggestion to try wireless connection first for the 2nd node onward. If speed is stable and acceptable, it would save me a ton of work.

I am however a bit confused about your comment in bold, do you mean pairing to parent or connecting directly using cable?

Actually I'm thinking of buying the 2-pack as the 3-pack seems rather expensive. 3-pack is USD500 vs 2-pack for USD320 at Amazon with free shipping.

May be you should test your Velop nodes with wireless connection first?

Get three nodes Velop, put parent node near your modem, 2nd node at living room and 3rd at 2nd floor. See whether the speed is acceptable to you. See if there is any wifi dead spot. Try to make sure that the 2nd node and the 3rd node are connect directly to the parent node. If it is not possible, then relocate your parent node by using cable.

Laying cable is very troublesome. Mesh wifi like Velop is created to solve this problem. Unless you are really hardcore on the wifi speed, Velop nodes with wireless connection should be sufficed for your normal usage.

somewhat

Reaction score
Somewhat, I think that's actually a good suggestion to try wireless connection first for the 2nd node onward. If speed is stable and acceptable, it would save me a ton of work.

I am however a bit confused about your comment in bold, do you mean pairing to parent or connecting directly using cable?

Actually I'm thinking of buying the 2-pack as the 3-pack seems rather expensive. 3-pack is USD500 vs 2-pack for USD320 at Amazon with free shipping.

No, I mean pairing them wirelessly. 3rd node can choose to connect to parent node or 2nd node, depending on their strength of signal.

bbturbo

Reaction score
Ah ok.. I understand now. So it should be 1-2 and 1-3 pairing and not 1-2-3.

Thanks Somewhat

No, I mean pairing them wirelessly. 3rd node can choose to connect to parent node or 2nd node, depending on their strength of signal.

JmatoZ

Reaction score
Hi bbturbo, I just read you story below.

anyway for Velop, you need to pair them wirelessly first, then you can posistion it to the desired location and plug you LAN cable. Velop will automatically detects the backhaul whether its wired or wireless.

"From bedroom downstairs with the router...
one cable to living room
one cable to 2nd flr bedroom B"

looking from your situation, I would suggest two option:
1. 1st node to replace you ISP router with Velop. put 2nd node at living room, put 3rd unit at level 2 in between bedroom A and B. - > improves coverage in your living room as well as covering your level 2.
2. Run Velop as bridge mode, put 1st node at living room, 2nd node @ bedroom A, 3rd node @ bedroom B -> this will give you better coverage. You can either choose to leave you main router SSID on/off. its up to you.

both option can run wireless or wired. for stability of course I will recommend you to run wired, but wireless backhaul is awesome as well.

Ah ok.. I understand now. So it should be 1-2 and 1-3 pairing and not 1-2-3.

Thanks Somewhat

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does Velop support smart devices like Belkin smart switches, Google Home well? These devices weren't known to work well with routers that offer seamless switching between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the end I think I will go for Asus ac3200 to improve on my range and speed as my existing ac66 acguzlt on 5ghz at the Ulu kitchen loo can get signal on iPad and MacBook Pro but not iphone but 2.4ghz works ok no issue

Before on dlink 868 no Way on 5ghz can accesss it and 2.4 is Low signal

So ac3200 should have a longer range a much better router since similar price to google wifi too

bbturbo

Reaction score
Thank you.

I will dive in and get the 3-pack instead of the 2-pack.

I need the existing router as I need the extra ethernet ports for my PC, storage etc placed around the router else I've to buy an ethernet switch for extra ports. I'm curious if using Velop as the main router, will internet speed improve vs the Singtel Gigabit router?

Hi bbturbo, I just read you story below.

anyway for Velop, you need to pair them wirelessly first, then you can posistion it to the desired location and plug you LAN cable. Velop will automatically detects the backhaul whether its wired or wireless.

"From bedroom downstairs with the router...
one cable to living room
one cable to 2nd flr bedroom B"

looking from your situation, I would suggest two option:
1. 1st node to replace you ISP router with Velop. put 2nd node at living room, put 3rd unit at level 2 in between bedroom A and B. - > improves coverage in your living room as well as covering your level 2.
2. Run Velop as bridge mode, put 1st node at living room, 2nd node @ bedroom A, 3rd node @ bedroom B -> this will give you better coverage. You can either choose to leave you main router SSID on/off. its up to you.

both option can run wireless or wired. for stability of course I will recommend you to run wired, but wireless backhaul is awesome as well.

numbers

Master Member
Reaction score
can the velop mesh wifi replace my current powerline adapters?

current setup

ONT-Router-powerline adapter(room1)-powerline adapter(room2)-desktop PC

if i use velop can i do the same ethernet setup like the one above? i use the ethernet setup for desktop gaming

quaere

Reaction score
Frustrated

Hi Guys
Need some help here. I just setup my Velop on M1 1Gbps plan.

I will leave the complaining elsewhere, but need help on some queries.

1. is anyone able to help me do a speed test using a laptop and lan wire to the main Velop node? Previously my router was a Asus ac3200, that gave me between 750-950 download speeds, and around the same for uploads.
Now it is 350 down, 450 up. I also called up M1, and as they advised direct plug into the huawei ONT/modem lan port 1. That did give me 750 up and 950 down. I am pretty sure then it is not my M1 speed but likely Velop. This speed is verified by my desktop in my room. same, 350-380 down, 450 up.

2. during my call to M1 they advised to turn IPv6 off as they have not implemented it yet. I have done so in the linksys web ui but same, just did speed test, 386up, 417down. I turned it off like a few hours ago.

3. did you guys experience any down time. It seems the app shows all well, but node is down. And vice versa where node shows up, but wifi down. Its totally crazy because you cannot trust your hardware and software??

4. If you are also on M1, can i check if you chose during setup, "before velop, where did your internet comes from: option 1 - modem and router 2. single device modem-router only". Did you choose option 1 or 2?

5. internet backhaul using wire. Another one to tear my hair out. It did not detect automatically on several occasions. 1 still have 1 node where it is wired, but it is connected to another room's node via wifi. I want it using wire man..... and I have no avenue to force it to do so. Any advise here?

I burned whole weekend on this man... frustrated and sad.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All your queries are in this thread. Since I'm on mobile now, I'll just answer briefly while you continue to read up yourself.

Velop lan speed is comparable to ac3200. You should be able to get good lan speed if you are on wired backhaul. If you are on wireless backhaul, of cos lan speed will drop accordingly.

Some nodes might routinely go down and then back up again. The node that does this might be restarting it's wifi after a change in wireless channel when it scanned and found better channels. Usually clients connected to this node will not be restarting. So far my experience has been good though I receive notifications that my node is down etc.

For m1, and you decided to replace the ac3200 out, do not choose the option of single modem-router. Single modem router setup will not allow velop to function as a router.

quaere

Reaction score
ok Thanks for getting back. I found some where else now, and the reason for slow speed is due to device prioritization. Removed it and i get back my full wired speeds.

I am replacing the AC3200 with the Velop. So Hwawei, then connected to main Velop node. Seems to be working for me. I think it is routing too, issuing out connected devices with IP addresses.

I think after this experience I can now contribute to this forum man...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.