Why is it that accountancy, arts/humanities degree are so popular when they dont pay well?

Ottoke

Reaction score
Please refrain from using EDMW's lingo here :vijayadmin:

I think you know very well what EDMW lingo are. It's more like people are saying the type of your thread belongs to EDMW created on a typical Sunday.

I don't see any 'EDMW lingo' in this thread anyway. People are legit answering your question. You can't help people questioning your motives given your past track record.

Just giving you the benefit of doubt here. :)

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pragmatism is in computing? While I agree the future will have tons of computing involved, don't forget that everytime there's a bubble, it will eventually burst.

Computing pays well but a career lasts you for the entire lifespan. I rather be paid less and have a career that fulfills me than a job I'm depressed about and want to shoot myself everytime I have to report to work.

All you youngsters only think of $$$ for career. I've met many people from different fields, engineering, IT, accounting who regret their degrees and want to switch.

Anyway, don't know why people are so critical of other people's degrees instead of focusing on themselves. No sense of self worth ah?

ForSIT

Reaction score
I think you know very well what EDMW lingo are. It's more like people are saying the type of your thread belongs to EDMW created on a typical Sunday.

I don't see any 'EDMW lingo' in this thread anyway. People are legit answering your question. You can't help people questioning your motives given your past track record.

Just giving you the benefit of doubt here. :)

Is it sunday?

:(

But what is sunday?

Can it be categorised as an EDMW lingo? :s11::s11::s11:

Last edited:

ForSIT

Reaction score
Pragmatism is in computing? While I agree the future will have tons of computing involved, don't forget that everytime there's a bubble, it will eventually burst.

Computing pays well but a career lasts you for the entire lifespan. I rather be paid less and have a career that fulfills me than a job I'm depressed about and want to shoot myself everytime I have to report to work.

All you youngsters only think of $$$ for career. I've met many people from different fields, engineering, IT, accounting who regret their degrees and want to switch.

Anyway, don't know why people are so critical of other people's degrees instead of focusing on themselves. No sense of self worth ah?

I am just curious if this is true or not and would like to seek other's opinion and perspective on this matter

not being critical here:)

ragnarox13

Reaction score
Many of my clients' accountants are malaysians. Probably contributing to the downward trend on salary for junior(?) roles and sme salaries. Supply is always available from across the causeway.

targar89

Reaction score
I don't think its a simple choice between pragmatism or interest. It could be said that it would be pragmatic if one were to pursue her/his interest, since the person will be better positioned to succeed? As opposed to getting stuck in a position where's there little to no drive or passion to succeed.

targar89

Reaction score
The most prudent choice is to marry 1) what you are good at with 2) your area of interest. That is the ideal scenario

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Many of my clients' accountants are malaysians. Probably contributing to the downward trend on salary for junior(?) roles and sme salaries. Supply is always available from across the causeway.

I don't think SG is lacking of accountants...So...

eddief4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think SG is lacking of accountants...So...

Considering how many accountants there are, is it any surprise the wages go down instead of up?

Even for law, students are finding it hard to secure training contracts due to overglut of lawyers.

Pharmacy as well is facing oversupply than demand.

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Considering how many accountants there are, is it any surprise the wages go down instead of up?

Even for law, students are finding it hard to secure training contracts due to overglut of lawyers.

Pharmacy as well is facing oversupply than demand.

Oversupply...Too many from overseas, adding pressure to the influx of local graduates every year...

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.