Is buying a 1080P TV still Ok?

idjekyll

Reaction score
Sorry if this question's been asked to death but I thought I'd get an updated answer to this question. Is FHD still relevant?

The wife and I are not much into watching movies in all it's cinematic glory and still think full HD is still fine. I'm a subscriber to the FHD subscription on Netflix and I don't intend to upgrade to UHD as well. I get my eye candy kick from my PC set up anyway. I intend to just get a good TV with excellent smart features instead and save some $$. So is buying an ultra hd TV a necessity if there's no reason other than to future proof? Will true 4K content take over mainstream entertainment any time soon?

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many manufacturers will soon stop producing FHD Tv soon. If your Tv is just 49" then not a problem, still can watch.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First consider your contents, like your Netflix is in 1080p
than a Full HD TV should be more than enough.
Unless you got many 4K contents like 4K UHD Blu ray, upcoming
Apple 4K TV and etc. than a 4K TV sounds reasonable.

4K in SG if you talking about broadcasting, it may not go
mainstream yet since by this year end they are phasing
out SD/Analog TV.

Will 4K come next, no one knows. 4K contents wise for legit way,
Netflix is the still common platform. 4K UHD disc in SG hardly
see anyone buy or rent it.

Yes there is still places to rent movies/drama so not necessary either
stream/download. To me SG plenty much 1080p contents are pretty
much what most are using.

And of cuz there are some who just rely on TV upscale 1080p to 4K feature to benefit from the 4K TV.

petetherock

Reaction score
If you have no intention of switching to 4k in the next five years, and sit at the right distance away from your TV - see the viewing distance sticky, then sure, no sense in paying more then using youtube for free 4k content.
But the selection of Full HD TVs is diminishing and many do not have the latest features.

I am using my 64" plasma TV, 'only' Full HD, but the image is lovely. When it breaks down, I look forward to buying a 75 or 80" UHD TV. The longer I wait, the cheaper they become.

ChubbyBunnyy

Reaction score
Sorry if this question's been asked to death but I thought I'd get an updated answer to this question. Is FHD still relevant?

The wife and I are not much into watching movies in all it's cinematic glory and still think full HD is still fine. I'm a subscriber to the FHD subscription on Netflix and I don't intend to upgrade to UHD as well. I get my eye candy kick from my PC set up anyway. I intend to just get a good TV with excellent smart features instead and save some $$. So is buying an ultra hd TV a necessity if there's no reason other than to future proof? Will true 4K content take over mainstream entertainment any time soon?

It's the era of 4k content already. When you buy a good and lasting tv, prepare to use it for say 10 years - Then it's about time for 8k tv when it's ready for consumer purchase. So go for 4k TV today will be a great choice. Can consider Samsung QLED which has 3 years warranty + 10 years burn in warranty.
:s12:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's the era of 4k content already. When you buy a good and lasting tv, prepare to use it for say 10 years - Then it's about time for 8k tv when it's ready for consumer purchase. So go for 4k TV today will be a great choice. Can consider Samsung QLED which has 3 years warranty + 10 years burn in warranty.
10 yrs Tv life is already history. Nowadays ~ 5 to 6 yrs already v good. Made to fail.

idjekyll

Reaction score

That's what I mean by no other reason but future proofing. From what I've read, 4K mainstream content won't be coming anytime soon. Now my online reason for buying a 4K TV is because the newer features are mostly on 4K TVs. Maybe that's making me lean towards a 4K tv but not those expensive ones. I'll be happy with a 49" for a 4RM BTO living room. Currently looking at Panasonic ex640s.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's what I mean by no other reason but future proofing. From what I've read, 4K mainstream content won't be coming anytime soon. Now my online reason for buying a 4K TV is because the newer features are mostly on 4K TVs. Maybe that's making me lean towards a 4K tv but not those expensive ones. I'll be happy with a 49" for a 4RM BTO living room. Currently looking at Panasonic ex640s.

The Panasonic ex750 is a better choice.

idjekyll

Reaction score
The Panasonic ex750 is a better choice.

Was looking at that also but the stand looks terrible. Chrome 'X' stand very ugly and distracting. Also it's this year's model so the price is still abit ex for me. Any 49-50" with intuitive smart features you can recommend?

denilson

Reaction score
hdr is a better feature to have
i'm using fhd 65 inch tv sitting 3 meters away, the experience is great

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If this question is asked few years ago, then 1080p is still relevant. However, now 4k TV are more mainstream and prices has gone down much. There are more and more apps or devices supporting 4k.

I also watch 4k youtube videos on my TV. It's great. Also 4k, can future-proof your TV for at least a decade

petetherock

Reaction score
Free to air TV has only just reached HD.
Quite a few people rely on free 4k youtube broadcasts and potentially illegal 4k Andriod Boxes. If you borrow from the library, they only have DVDs, not even BR discs.

Unless you have a steady source of real 4k material, your Full HD TV is fine. You can of course buy a 4k TV, but it will again be back to the days when people wonder why their DVDs actually look worse on a 4k TV..

YMMV. Good luck

idjekyll

Reaction score
Currently looking at buying the Sony 49" W75E FHD HDR TV and a free Philips sound bar from Courts for 1.2k (with 8% off). Is that a good price?

I've come to the conclusion that 4K isn't a immediate requirement at the moment.

lockks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently looking at buying the Sony 49" W75E FHD HDR TV and a free Philips sound bar from Courts for 1.2k (with 8% off). Is that a good price?

I've come to the conclusion that 4K isn't a immediate requirement at the moment.

Bought this. Pq very gd. U have extra philip soundbar at this price. Normally ard 1.2k

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not much program for UHD so FHD is still OK.

True that very little program in UHD. Even our two big companies, Starhub Tv and Singtel Tv also in FHD only. As long as the Tv is small, it is ok.

petetherock

Reaction score
If you want to be really pedantic, some aren't even 1080p.. in fact some are 1080i..
So I wonder how many 4k TV owners actually buy 4k UHD discs, or stream 4k media legally?

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think just buy the cheapest :p

this year end... I will buy the cheapest 50" for the living room... just for TVB drama and mediacorpse tv...

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Despite good but I rather you go for Samsung/Sony/LG soundbar instead.
Nothing against Philips but some of their things doesn't last very long.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.