Boots or shoes for Hokkaido in dec

weiiix

Master Member
Reaction score
i wore Red wings boots and onitsuka tiger last nov.
temperature varies from 0 to -6.

i feel my red wings are good enough.

Last edited:

asiafrenz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Timberland or north face ?

why does it matter with the brand? or do you mean Timberland Boot and North Face shoe? Both brand also have boot and shoe.

If you planned to walk in snow then obviously a waterproof boot will be better to keep out the snow. As for being slippery, get the cleat from the convenience store or department store when you are there, put it on if you see you will be walking on icy surface rather than snow or normal pavement.

petty blue

Master Member
Reaction score
1 day at ski resort, Rest is Sapporo, and Hakodate, noberibetsu etc. Dunno wise to buy a shoe or boots better

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 day at ski resort, Rest is Sapporo, and Hakodate, noberibetsu etc. Dunno wise to buy a shoe or boots better
I would think high cut waterproof boots will be better. Less chance of snow getting into the shoes. Wet feet + cold is super uncomfortable.

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Boots will be much better & with water proofing lor
As snow stepping will be bad & snow & water will enters makes u more colder

Even if the boots outsoles is not all terrain go get the iced cleat to clip it
But sometimes also will fall so it's depends on walking style
I don't wear the ice mount
After while need to find the optimum way to walk on ice and snow

The issue is only on ice as is damm slipping even with ice mount unlike u got those Spike but with big Splike it's not wise to walk in city area

Last edited:

jes205

Reaction score
if you don't have a pair to walk in snow, like most comments here, get a water proof boots/shoes. once your feet get cold, you won't last long outdoors. also, buy when you are in Japan. more variety and cheaper. if you hardly use these shoes, don't have to waste money to buy branded. made this mistake abt 3 yrs back. walked in ankle high snow with no water proof shoes. quickly went into ABC mart and bought waterproof shoes for the trip.

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Or a phua chu Kang rubber boots I aw some Japanese use it but it's branded one hahahhah

if you don't have a pair to walk in snow, like most comments here, get a water proof boots/shoes. once your feet get cold, you won't last long outdoors. also, buy when you are in Japan. more variety and cheaper. if you hardly use these shoes, don't have to waste money to buy branded. made this mistake abt 3 yrs back. walked in ankle high snow with no water proof shoes. quickly went into ABC mart and bought waterproof shoes for the trip.

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you know what to expect, and with proper precautions such as avoiding snow getting into your shoes: NorthFace (may need an sole add on depending on the model)

If not: get a pair of good boots

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
I will be going to Hokkaido in March next year for skiing with my family. Where can I buy waterproof boots for adults and kids?

thwysg

Reaction score
I will be going to Hokkaido in March next year for skiing with my family. Where can I buy waterproof boots for adults and kids?

Decathlon for budget travelers. Other brands like Columbia, North Face or other brands such as Montbell and Marmot at Velocity @ Novena Square.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if u have 2hrs to spare on arrival, go to any of the department stores in Hokkaido (eg Lucky or even DonQuiote, not Daimaru), plenty on sale there and cheap ... like JPY 2000 a pair type

thwysg

Reaction score
if u have 2hrs to spare on arrival, go to any of the department stores in Hokkaido (eg Lucky or even DonQuiote, not Daimaru), plenty on sale there and cheap ... like JPY 2000 a pair type

That's if they were heading to Sapporo first. I had to get mine before the trip since I was in areas where there's no mall at all.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's if they were heading to Sapporo first. I had to get mine before the trip since I was in areas where there's no mall at all.

There's Rera Outlet Mall. Free shuttle to & from airport. 10mins away.
There is a large ABC Mart there, but prices higher than those no-brand stuff from local malls.

Sportsdirect Malaysia got 40% off all Karrimor & Gelert outdoor products.
Wifey bought Karrimor Isla mid-cut "waterproof" boots for just RM 149 after discount. Last day tomorrow, Sun, 8 Oct.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
There's Rera Outlet Mall. Free shuttle to & from airport. 10mins away.
There is a large ABC Mart there, but prices higher than those no-brand stuff from local malls.

Sportsdirect Malaysia got 40% off all Karrimor & Gelert outdoor products.
Wifey bought Karrimor Isla mid-cut "waterproof" boots for just RM 149 after discount. Last day tomorrow, Sun, 8 Oct.

I called Universal Traveller and the girl said the boots r selling for less than S$40 a pair similar to what I saw on their website.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.