The Hair Thread - Part 5

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm i tried mr pomp shampoo and quite liked it. but my issue is that it contains SLS and ALS. so i am using one now bought from beauty language that is SLS and paraben free.

Am I being too particular about the presence of SLS in shampoos? does the presence of SLS really harm your hair? shampoo experts care to share your views? Cheers!

Not an expert either but wish to share my 2cents.

This is a highly debated issue for the longest time. SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) is commonly found in many shampoos except for organic shampoo that are marketed to focus on being sulfate/sulphate free.

1. It is basically a surfactant and to understand how shampoo works to cleanse our hair, it is done via the "foam" that we lather.
2. The more foam there is, the stronger the cleansing power is and this relates to stronger detergent.
3. A strong detergent contains more surfactants and organic shampoos naturally lather less easily due to lesser surfactants. This doesn't mean that organic shampoo washes better or easier; in fact it don't.
4. SLS is not the only surfactants found in shampoos.

The fact is that SLS is a stronger surfactants as compared to gentler surfactants such as ammonium laureth sulfate (ALS) and sodium alkyl sulfate (SAS), which are also found in our shampoos. Hard truth is without these surfactants, it is not possible to wash our hair with shampoo because it simply dont lather.

So unless you're one who is having extremely sensitive scalp issue or worrying hair-related issues, SLS should not be at the top of your list. Do take some time to worry about DHT (dihydrotestosterone) instead. This is the one that is causing male pattern baldness.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Perm Liao so what product is best for that kind of look. I see the goblin hair like not much hold cos wind blow the hair still can move but if I don't put too much hold my hair whole strand stand up when wind blow

I would personally recommend to spend more time on choosing the right pre-styler instead of main styling product. Assuming that you've permed the hair, the volume isn't a problem to you now. But the dryness and the frizzy hair ends will be your worry instead.

1. Look out for moisturizing cream or hair mousse to enhance the shininess of the hair and bring out the curls at the hair ends. This is especially important because the success of such hairstyle lies on how healthy and shiny looking your hair is.

"Shiny" here doesn't mean oily. A radiant look relates better to the context here. Options to consider are Korial Moisturizing Cream.

2. After that, move on to the main styling product. Clay or wax will do fine. Specifically, i have to say again that any decent product will be fine. Personally, I would choose clay over wax as it helps to bunch up the hair strands better. Try twisting and pinching the hair strands, to hold it well together so that the desired hair shape can be brought out.

3. You may wish to finish off with a little bit of finishing hairspray (depending on how heavy and long your hair is).

djoker

Reaction score
Not an expert either but wish to share my 2cents.

This is a highly debated issue for the longest time. SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) is commonly found in many shampoos except for organic shampoo that are marketed to focus on being sulfate/sulphate free.

1. It is basically a surfactant and to understand how shampoo works to cleanse our hair, it is done via the "foam" that we lather.
2. The more foam there is, the stronger the cleansing power is and this relates to stronger detergent.
3. A strong detergent contains more surfactants and organic shampoos naturally lather less easily due to lesser surfactants. This doesn't mean that organic shampoo washes better or easier; in fact it don't.
4. SLS is not the only surfactants found in shampoos.

The fact is that SLS is a stronger surfactants as compared to gentler surfactants such as ammonium laureth sulfate (ALS) and sodium alkyl sulfate (SAS), which are also found in our shampoos. Hard truth is without these surfactants, it is not possible to wash our hair with shampoo because it simply dont lather.

So unless you're one who is having extremely sensitive scalp issue or worrying hair-related issues, SLS should not be at the top of your list. Do take some time to worry about DHT (dihydrotestosterone) instead. This is the one that is causing male pattern baldness.

cheers bro for your opinion. :D

nichsong

Reaction score
To add on to the SLS / sulfates in shampoo debate, would just like to highlight one thing: At the end of the day, the condition of your hair after usage is the best answer to whether a shampoo is right for u. Mr pomp's peppermint shampoo contains sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) but I find it to be just nice in terms of cleaning without stripping away too much. Whereas we have HDF natural shampoo which does not contain SLS / SLES BUT I feel dries my hair out too much. So it really is trial and error to see which works for you.

@leejhong bro, Note taken on the tai green tea shampoo! Might look into that after finishing up my label m purifying.

Nice to see the thread with abit of life again haha. Seems like the hair product / grooming trend is slowing down quite abit.

thehonestexplorer

Reaction score
I've been using this brand called Moist Diane, their Botanical series. I think it uses mostly plant based ingredients and I find it really easy to wash off the styling products. I'm using Gatsby Moving Rubber.

DamienK

Reaction score
any good shampoo to recommend? hopefully one that can improve my frizzy hair. I already have a deep cleanse shampoo that I use 1/2 times a week.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To add on to the SLS / sulfates in shampoo debate, would just like to highlight one thing: At the end of the day, the condition of your hair after usage is the best answer to whether a shampoo is right for u. Mr pomp's peppermint shampoo contains sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) but I find it to be just nice in terms of cleaning without stripping away too much. Whereas we have HDF natural shampoo which does not contain SLS / SLES BUT I feel dries my hair out too much. So it really is trial and error to see which works for you.

@leejhong bro, Note taken on the tai green tea shampoo! Might look into that after finishing up my label m purifying.

Nice to see the thread with abit of life again haha. Seems like the hair product / grooming trend is slowing down quite abit.

No problem!

You've mentioned the point on the dryness of the hair after shampoo-ing.

There was this hairstylist of mine that asks me not to use moisturizing shampoo but one that can really makes my hair dry. His rationale was to make my hair as dry as possible, so that I could style easily. Back then, I did not agree with him. Even till today, I do not. Ultimately, I do not think the dryness will cause any big problems here, so to me it's like a personal preference. I always believed in striking a balance for the aspect of hydration/dryness.

- If the shampoo dries my hair too much (but it's a deep cleanser), I am fine with using it couple of times per week. I will then either complement it with a conditioner or vitamin booster to hydrate it further. Or a hair mousse the next day to nourish it a little (gives shine to the hair).

- If the shampoo hydrates my hair too much (moisturizing shampoo), I have more problems with it because it weighs my hair down too much (big problem next day). To overcome, I will use a little more seasalt spray to provide hold the next day (which may inevitably backfire if used too much too).

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've been using this brand called Moist Diane, their Botanical series. I think it uses mostly plant based ingredients and I find it really easy to wash off the styling products. I'm using Gatsby Moving Rubber.

My wife once tried out the conditioner, and it sucks big time. Instead of nourishing the hair, it caused her hair to be tangled badly. Ever since, I avoided that brand like a plague.

If you ever have the chance, do give the other products on the market a chance to serve your hair better. If you think Gatsby is good, there are better products within the same price range too. :)

FYI - Diane is also under the parent brand - Mandom. Same as Gatsby.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any good shampoo to recommend? hopefully one that can improve my frizzy hair. I already have a deep cleanse shampoo that I use 1/2 times a week.

Usually, you will tend to have a few requirements when looking out for a product. Same applies for shampoo too. So, there are more questions to ask but since this is a platform for us to share insights/opinions about hair grooming products, I shall refrain from asking more.

As you already have a deep cleanser, I shall recommend you some moisturizing shampoos then.

1. Scalp-related needs: If you ever thought of improving your scalp or overcoming any existing scalp-related problems (e.g. redness/dryness, itchiness or even dermatitis), you can consider trying out Zahara Nourishing Shampoo.

2. Organic: If you are one who are conscious on a product's organicity, then you can consider Care For My Cut Daily Shampoo. This is a sulphate-free shampoo. However, do take note that this does not mean that it is 100% organic. In fact, there are only a handful of products that are 100% organic (this doesnt mean that 100% organic shampoo is more superior btw).

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ref323 + MM
My hair are so lightweight, if I jump, I need to restyle :(

You actually already have the answer. Fixation.
Your hair lacks the fixation to last through the day and try to complement it with a finishing hairspray, on top of the SSS and main styling product.

Be it a little, I am pretty sure it will help you to improve the situation.

foushi95

Reaction score
Thanks you for your answer. Another question, if I used MM as pre and post styler, should I use same quantity pre and post ? or more at post style ?

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks you for your answer. Another question, if I used MM as pre and post styler, should I use same quantity pre and post ? or more at post style ?

Unfortunately, I have not used MM before so couldn't be able to comment too much on that.
However, here's my thoughts:

1. By pre-styler, you're referring to using MM onto damp hair then blow dry the hair.
2. By post-styler, you're referring to using MM onto dry hair (with MM in it already) then continue styling.

Logically speaking, it will be heavy (no matter how lightweight the product may claim to be) and even if it's matte by nature, the amount that is used may cause it to "shine" excessively too. Hence, I don't think it will benefit much in doing so, and wouldn't recommend doing this either.

Unless the "post-styler" that you're referring to is to top up a little (depending on the situation), then you should apply relatively more as pre-styler. Do note that application of the styling product onto damp hair is likely to create a slight sheen on the hair.

thehonestexplorer

Reaction score
My wife once tried out the conditioner, and it sucks big time. Instead of nourishing the hair, it caused her hair to be tangled badly. Ever since, I avoided that brand like a plague.

If you ever have the chance, do give the other products on the market a chance to serve your hair better. If you think Gatsby is good, there are better products within the same price range too. :)

FYI - Diane is also under the parent brand - Mandom. Same as Gatsby.

Thank you! Would you recommend any good products that are within the price range of Gatsby?

I think each brand benefits everyone is different ways la...doesn't mean it works for one person means it will for others :)

I did a google search and I think Diane is under this company called Naturelab? Don't think they are made by the Gatsby company.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Would you recommend any good products that are within the price range of Gatsby?

I think each brand benefits everyone is different ways la...doesn't mean it works for one person means it will for others :)

I did a google search and I think Diane is under this company called Naturelab? Don't think they are made by the Gatsby company.

To recommend, it really depends largely on your requirements such as matte/slight shine, strong/medium hold, washability. :)

Actually, it's written on the back of the product. Bifesta, Moist Diane and Gatsby are all under the parent company - Mandom Corp. Meanwhile, just last month they have a sale going on.

Mandom-Up-to-23-Aug-2017-550x288.jpg

nichsong

Reaction score
Definitely disagree with the hairstylist in question regarding "the drier the better". While drier hair is much easier to style because less moisture / oil = less weight, there is a sacrifice to the overall health of your hair and scalp. If your hair is always dry it means there is a lack of moisture - which is essential for hair growth and overall scalp health.

That's why its best to maintain a balance. Not too dry, yet not too moisturised that your hair can't take the weight of your hairstyling products. Mr Pomp shampoo is the best I've tried so far in terms of providing this balance. But if only they had it in a larger bottle. Label M purifying shampoo is pretty good too, just got to be careful not to use too much

No problem!

You've mentioned the point on the dryness of the hair after shampoo-ing.

There was this hairstylist of mine that asks me not to use moisturizing shampoo but one that can really makes my hair dry. His rationale was to make my hair as dry as possible, so that I could style easily. Back then, I did not agree with him. Even till today, I do not. Ultimately, I do not think the dryness will cause any big problems here, so to me it's like a personal preference. I always believed in striking a balance for the aspect of hydration/dryness.

- If the shampoo dries my hair too much (but it's a deep cleanser), I am fine with using it couple of times per week. I will then either complement it with a conditioner or vitamin booster to hydrate it further. Or a hair mousse the next day to nourish it a little (gives shine to the hair).

- If the shampoo hydrates my hair too much (moisturizing shampoo), I have more problems with it because it weighs my hair down too much (big problem next day). To overcome, I will use a little more seasalt spray to provide hold the next day (which may inevitably backfire if used too much too).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.