Generation 1 or 2

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, how can I check if the iWatch I have is a Gen 1 Series 1 or Gen 2 series 1?

Does the Serial number tell you?

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
Does gen 1 comes with specific set of serial numbers eg Gen1xxxx so that it's obvious to tell?

And what is the estimated resale cost of a Gen 1 in good condition?

Last edited:

manofsorrows

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually there’s series 0 also right? Like the very very 1st apple watch. Then came series 1 (series 0 discon), 2016 released series 2. This year release series 3, series 2 discon, series 1 stays (i wonder why...).

tec_geek

Reaction score
Actually there’s series 0 also right? Like the very very 1st apple watch. Then came series 1 (series 0 discon), 2016 released series 2. This year release series 3, series 2 discon, series 1 stays (i wonder why...).

The Series 1 stayed to attract more people as a cheaper option to the Apple Watch.

If they would have kept the Series 2 and forgo the Series 1, I think they couldn’t lower the price point enough to be similar to the Series 1 due to the hardware and other features? (Just my guess)

And also could be a marketing strategy as well. Cause the Series 3 has features that are so similar to the Series 2, almost like a S series to it. If they would have to keep both, people will tend to buy the Series 2 instead of the Series 3.
- Lower price point, has about 80-85% of the features on the Series 3 with key features like built in GPS and swimproof, also available in the Series 2.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, how can I check if the iWatch I have is a Gen 1 Series 1 or Gen 2 series 1?

Does the Serial number tell you?

For your info, it's called an Apple Watch and yes, the serial number will tell you the difference.

First gen Apple Watch: Both stainless steel and and sports models feature a single mic hole at the side, while the sports model's back sensor panels do not have a silver outline around each sensor.

Series 1 and 2: All Series 1 Apple Watches are aluminium with single mic hole while Series 2 offers in both aluminium and stainless steel with dual mic holes. Series 1s now have the silver outline around each sensor and the Series 2's are slightly thicker and heavier. They are most easily distinguished by the "SERIES 1" and SERIES 2" engraving behind the watch, located at the top.

viosATwork

Reaction score
Is there any place where Apple watch gen 2 is still available? other than the refurbished one in Apple store..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.