65" Best tv offer

ngensys2000

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is the best bang for buck 65" 4k tv now?
Budget at around 2.8k.
Used primarily for gaming and movies.

kmchow98

Reaction score
My recommendation is to lower down your size expectations to 55" and get the LG or Panasonic OLEDs that are in your price range.

No LCD in that price range can beat the OLEDs when you consider HDR support (LG is better), input lag, motion processing (Panasonic is better), true black, wide color gamut and color accuracy for movies and games. Period.

OK, if you sell a kidney and buy the OLED 65". You'll never need to go to the movies. Just rent 4k HDR movies at $6 from apple iTunes.

ngensys2000

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is to lower down your size expectations to 55" and get the LG or Panasonic OLEDs that are in your price range.

No LCD in that price range can beat the OLEDs when you consider HDR support (LG is better), input lag, motion processing (Panasonic is better), true black, wide color gamut and color accuracy for movies and games. Period.

OK, if you sell a kidney and buy the OLED 65". You'll never need to go to the movies. Just rent 4k HDR movies at $6 from apple iTunes.

Yes but buying an OLED now is not logical for me. Too expensive.

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

To me if really depends on what the buyer's priority is for the TV is.

If size is more important than features and future-proof tech like OLED, HDR, Picture quality, then getting an entry level LED TV at that size is more logical and cost effective. And LED TVs have matured for a long time so all the problems are gone and u can sure u are maximising the use of the TV.

Whereas OLED is still relatively new, so you can be sure OLED can only improve by leaps and bounds in the future years as all major vendors start to focus all their resources on making only OLEDs and phasing out LED gradually, while ironing out all the teething kinks and problems with OLEDs. There will be much more options and cheaper prices for OLED in the future while LEDs cannot go much lower in prices anymore.

Just my humble 2c.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Esp for MOVIES. U will never get the Wow no matter how impressive your spec of your TV whether it is oled that give u a very accurate colour with deeper black and clearer white when your TV is "tiny" in 55 inch. A decent 65 inch can be as good as that as long your source is from bluray or 4k movie.

Just buy the biggest tv size u can afford. Tv is such an item where u wont change it or upgrade offen like hand phone.

I believe 2.8k should be able to get a entry level 4k 65inch tv.

ngensys2000

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If size is more important than features and future-proof tech like OLED, HDR, Picture quality, then getting an entry level LED TV at that size is more logical and cost effective. And LED TVs have matured for a long time so all the problems are gone and u can sure u are maximising the use of the TV.

Whereas OLED is still relatively new, so you can be sure OLED can only improve by leaps and bounds in the future years as all major vendors start to focus all their resources on making only OLEDs and phasing out LED gradually, while ironing out all the teething kinks and problems with OLEDs. There will be much more options and cheaper prices for OLED in the future while LEDs cannot go much lower in prices anymore.

Just my humble 2c.

Agreed. Currently I rather just go for 4k only. Looking into LG models.

kmchow98

Reaction score

Just my humble 2c.

While I agree that OLED can only improve, I need to correct the above point that all the problems of LED TVs are gone.

The fundamental disadvantages of LED TVs can only be minimized but never eliminated. Just google image LED TV technology and look at the illustrations.
It's hard to explain. But you can try this.
On a big LED TV...
1) look at the pictures directly, then shift your viewing location up down left right. You will see a slight change in brightness, color and contrast. This is worst on a big TV because you are looking at different angles for pixels in the centre of the TV and edges of the TV.

2) Try displaying a black picture and you will see light bleeding. (Unless you have a FALD LED TV) This bleeding is not uniform. This is because to create black, the LCD crystals need to be completely twisted to block all light from the back light. Complete block out is impossible.

A FALD LED TV will switch off portions of the backlight to get real blacks. But only a few top end TVs can do this.

3) Now try watching a movie with bright and dark scenes. The TV will try it's best to do both, and it will not be perfect.

4) Now try it with HDR.... In this mode, LED TV backlight operate at even higher brightness. You get vibrant colors, but the blacks will look murky.

5) Now try playing PS4 pro games with 4k HDR. The TV basically starts to struggle because it needs to do the following:
Have low input lag. This means advanced/optimal picture processing cannot be enabled. Color and motion processing will not be as good. No choice, input lag is important.
Enable HDR. means now all the LED backlight is very bright. Even if you have a FALD LED TV, it won't be perfect. It's because advanced processing of backlight control is reduced/disabled.

With OLED. Most of the LED TV issues are reduced. The only problem is that with HDR enabled, LED TV output will still look brighter. But you get awesome blacks, great colors, great viewing angles etc.

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
While I agree that OLED can only improve, I need to correct the above point that all the problems of LED TVs are gone.

The fundamental disadvantages of LED TVs can only be minimized but never eliminated. Just google image LED TV technology and look at the illustrations.
It's hard to explain. But you can try this.
On a big LED TV...
1) look at the pictures directly, then shift your viewing location up down left right. You will see a slight change in brightness, color and contrast. This is worst on a big TV because you are looking at different angles for pixels in the centre of the TV and edges of the TV.

2) Try displaying a black picture and you will see light bleeding. (Unless you have a FALD LED TV) This bleeding is not uniform. This is because to create black, the LCD crystals need to be completely twisted to block all light from the back light. Complete block out is impossible.

A FALD LED TV will switch off portions of the backlight to get real blacks. But only a few top end TVs can do this.

3) Now try watching a movie with bright and dark scenes. The TV will try it's best to do both, and it will not be perfect.

4) Now try it with HDR.... In this mode, LED TV backlight operate at even higher brightness. You get vibrant colors, but the blacks will look murky.

5) Now try playing PS4 pro games with 4k HDR. The TV basically starts to struggle because it needs to do the following:
Have low input lag. This means advanced/optimal picture processing cannot be enabled. Color and motion processing will not be as good. No choice, input lag is important.
Enable HDR. means now all the LED backlight is very bright. Even if you have a FALD LED TV, it won't be perfect. It's because advanced processing of backlight control is reduced/disabled.

With OLED. Most of the LED TV issues are reduced. The only problem is that with HDR enabled, LED TV output will still look brighter. But you get awesome blacks, great colors, great viewing angles etc.

Yup I agree. OLED really does eliminate most of the physical limitations of LED LCD. And I just cannot wait for the true power and potential of OLED to shine in the future years.

But I feel that motion processing for OLED is still at its infant stage. And yes LED LCD in general is still brighter than OLED. HDR content will shine on OLED. However HDR content is still scarce for the average user for at least in the next few years. So unless TS wants to futureproof his TV purchase, which I highly doubt since his priority is size only and price, getting an LED LCD is a more economical choice. :)

kmchow98

Reaction score
Yup I agree. OLED really does eliminate most of the physical limitations of LED LCD. And I just cannot wait for the true power and potential of OLED to shine in the future years.

But I feel that motion processing for OLED is still at its infant stage. And yes LED LCD in general is still brighter than OLED. HDR content will shine on OLED. However HDR content is still scarce for the average user for at least in the next few years. So unless TS wants to futureproof his TV purchase, which I highly doubt since his priority is size only and price, getting an LED LCD is a more economical choice. :)

Yes. The remaining weakness for OLED now is HDR brightness and motion processing. But this is mostly nitpicking as they are very good in this generation already. LG have already managed to get the OLED panel life to 60000hr, which means it will last at least 6+ years.

This year is not a bad year to upgrade to OLED. And next year will even be better. But with that argument, buyers will have to wait forever.

LED TVs won't be going away. Clearly many are attracted by the lower cost bigger size advantages. Also, LG is in everyone's radar. Just not me.

I've owned 3 top end Panasonic plasmas and 2 top end LCD TVs (One is Sony). I can't bring myself to buy another LED TV anymore, except for one..

Except for the display set I bought, they last about 8 years of good use.
So I don't really understand why people can change their TV every 3-4 years.

ngensys2000

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The LG UJ750 refresh rate is 50hz nia?
Found the Samsung Mu6300 has 120hz.

Last edited:

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. The remaining weakness for OLED now is HDR brightness and motion processing. But this is mostly nitpicking as they are very good in this generation already. LG have already managed to get the OLED panel life to 60000hr, which means it will last at least 6+ years.

This year is not a bad year to upgrade to OLED. And next year will even be better. But with that argument, buyers will have to wait forever.

LED TVs won't be going away. Clearly many are attracted by the lower cost bigger size advantages. Also, LG is in everyone's radar. Just not me.

I've owned 3 top end Panasonic plasmas and 2 top end LCD TVs (One is Sony). I can't bring myself to buy another LED TV anymore, except for one..

Except for the display set I bought, they last about 8 years of good use.
So I don't really understand why people can change their TV every 3-4 years.

Haha yah i just bought the Panasonic TH58DX700s and i just love this TV even when comparing with all the oled TVs this year.

LG is very popular now due to their affordability and first to come with oled to the mainstream. I particularly love their webos interface as it's very polished and user friendly.

However when it comes to motion processing for fta local channels and 4k upscaling it's significant inferior to the Japanese. It's very noticeable as i view in many shops compared to Panasonic and Sony which i feel are kings in motion processing. I for one am very particular in this area as i view mainly local digital TV and YouTube videos and 1080p movie files stored in usb.

I feel the Japs have nailed it elegantly and made videos very natural looking.
Panasonic in particular have an obsession with making movies with the most accurate colours liaising with THX. In true cinema mode the colour and picture quality is astounding, even for mid range models. This for one made me give my money to them. :) It's just a real pity that Panasonic is not popular among sinkies. I seldom see Panasonic tv on display anymore.

Samsung has way too much artificial motion processing to make me even consider them. Within minutes of watching Samsung tv i get a migraine headache. Even when i request to turn off all the processing the video in shops still look very artificial. And they are overly bright.

Haha my honest opinions. Hopefully TS don't get too confused with all these jargons. :)

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
The most important isn't brightness unless you watch at high noon all the time..
Contrast and black levels matter more.
That's where LCD/LED falls flat compared to plasma and OLED.

ngensys2000

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was going to hoot the UJ750T but noticed the refresh rate is 50Hz only.
Going to be issue with PS4 games, sports or movies?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.