Do u feel Pri 1 kids need tuition?

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Guys, please be serious about this. This is not EDMW, don't bring the mentality or lingo here.

bendi85

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Primary school allow student to take time off from class to go holiday?
Beside those public holidays etc.

zensushi

Reaction score
Primary school allow student to take time off from class to go holiday?
Beside those public holidays etc.

What can the school do if parents simply whisked their own kids away on an extended holiday? :s11:

JakiBOii

Reaction score
If you can afford it, why not? I agree on one comment here saying your kids will be lessons ahead of the others. That's true. When you see your kid learning, that's the time you'll get to appreciate the tuition. :s13:

dgeralds

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very sad. It's all about tuition. Tuition is money. How about those who cannot afford?

thehippy

Reaction score
Most people believe tuition is synonymous to weak students which I believe is completely false. If you have the means, I would highly suggest sending a child to tuition. I believe it would be of great help in preparing them for the next levels.

Evvvel

Reaction score
What's the point of school and teachers, if the child at Pri 1 needs tuition?

mickey88

Master Member
Reaction score
lol.. Pri 1 need tution??..more like parents kiasu and kiasee..where is the joy of being a kid

iridiot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It all depends.

If your kid has acquired the complete grammar of your language by the age of 6 , then you might not need much additional help.

If your kid has not completely understood any part of the syllabus , any chinks in the armour will accumulate and will impede future development.

Teachers in school usually have a high ratio of 1 : 30 + / 40 +.
Depending on their KPI , they will turn their attention to those who completely failed or those with problem rather than sharpening those who are already good but didn't completely master a topic.

What is stopping them from getting that perfect score ?
Do they have enough sleep/nutrition/exercise ?
Do they have a conducive environment ?
Do they have an aim ?
Do they have someone to approach if they need help?
Myopia ?
Being bullied ?
Addiction to something ?

Tuition is one solution but not the only one.
Tuition suit those whose problem originate from not having enough feedback from someone who knows about the subject.

Match the right solution with the right problem

iridiot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yr last paragraph is about language, which yes, it's about providing a rich environment provided u don't use singlish all the time.

This is where u r wrong. Maths requires a certain foundation. U start learning to count, then add subtract and so on. The more complex ones cannot be achieved without this foundation. Just like u cannot read and write without knowing ABC.

It's up to u. if u think yr way is right, then by all means. The results speak for themselves. No one learns the same way. At least for now, i can safely say the tuition centres are raking in the dollars and in case yr wondering, this is because the results are there.

No parent will pay if they don't see results.

I don't think either party is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqXVAo7dVRU

based one Khaneman's idea , we have system 1 and system 2 type of thinking

the "foundation of maths" system 1 might be the foundation that you are referring to might be the ability to count like Arithmetic.

So , 9 x 8 wouldn't require much thought for the answer to pop out in your mind , I hope . This is system 1 at work.

On the other hand , 123 x 509 would require you to think a bit more for the answer before you reach an answer. This is system 2 at work.

This is where you go wrong. With the preschool enrichment like Kumon, you master rote learning and initially, the kid does well in lower primary and the parents feel vindicated. BUT as the curriculum moves away from rote learning, into more complex conceptual work that involves thinking skills, then the kids fail as they cant transition. Their foundation is weak. Parents who put effort into learning through play and language acquisition ALWAYS see results, even if their kids struggle initially.

Parents, learn to TALK to your kids, move away from baby language (or singlish!), widen your vocab, teach them puns, poems, play with language, make funny sounds, have fun with language.

https://www.ted.com/talks/deb_roy_the_birth_of_a_word

yes , an example shown in the video linked exemplifies that .

tl;dw : e.g. the baby wants water , he tries to inform the adult
he utters , " gah , Wa , tah Goo ..."
none of these get the attention of a busy maid
when he gets something similar to wa - tah , the maid understands and feeds the baby with a bottle of water.

cattwl7

Master Member
Reaction score
Think parents shd ask what is it the tutor can do that they can't, for a p1 kid. If you are paying for a tutor so you can sit in front of the TV or go shopping, then you are really lame

Sent from OPPO X9009 using GAGT

ramlee

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Think parents shd ask what is it the tutor can do that they can't, for a p1 kid. If you are paying for a tutor so you can sit in front of the TV or go shopping, then you are really lame

Sent from OPPO X9009 using GAGT

get an NIE trained tutor. most parents are not nie trained :(

ramlee

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
I don't think either party is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqXVAo7dVRU

based one Khaneman's idea , we have system 1 and system 2 type of thinking

the "foundation of maths" system 1 might be the foundation that you are referring to might be the ability to count like Arithmetic.

So , 9 x 8 wouldn't require much thought for the answer to pop out in your mind , I hope . This is system 1 at work.

On the other hand , 123 x 509 would require you to think a bit more for the answer before you reach an answer. This is system 2 at work.

yes, need to think more. nao where did i put my calculator? :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.