Need help with Singtel 1G fiber plan (poor services and poor performance from Singtel)

sgtomx

Reaction score
case closed. thanks for Mclairs' hint!
but still, Singtel's service sux! that's my impression after the first 72 hours with them.

================================

after two years with Starhub, I switched to Singtel for its 1G plan this Tuesday. I have to say that's the worst decision I've made in Singapore.

So first of all, question #1:
Can I cancel this broadband plan as I only have it activated for 2 days and it clearly couldn't meet my requirements and the performance is really bad?

The whole story is like this:
the 1G fiber comes in connecting to the Singtel ONT and then Singtel AC1200 router (SR for short). then I asked the technician who helped me setup these boxes if I can replace the SR with my own router. he said yes, of course. well, I am very sure it's a yes, but I just don't know why I asked.

Next day I brought my whole network/servers/NAS stuffs in and start wiring and testing. I found out that my router (Asus N56U with the latest firmware) couldn't get public IP on the WAN port when it's connecting to the ONT (yes, on ONT LAN port#1, the one use to connect to SR).

tried reboot the ONT - no luck
tried reboot the N56U - no luck
tried using singtel-others profile on N56U - no luck
tried using singtel-MIO profile on N56U - no luck
WTH.. isn't it just a simple DHCP and then I can get the public IP? or they have that MAC<>IP address binding thing in the backend? or any old school username/password stuffs?

alright, now start calling Singtel 1688
1st call, a lady answer my call, she told me the connection is not automatically getting IP, it is a PPPoE. (I was like, what!? 1G fiber with PPPoE?!) but I just believe her, she's from Singtel, isn't she? She provided me username and password so I just go tried it out. of course, no luck!

2nd call, a guy answered, he said "oh, that's not PPPoE, that's just DHCP and you'll get IP automatically." but why N56U couldn't get a thing? he said he had no idea, as that's 3rd party router, so singtel can't provide technical support on it. but he is kind enough to let me know how to access the SR admin page so that I can copy whatever settings the SR has on the WAN port side. I was very happy and hang up the phone before trying that. it turns out that there is absolutely NO WAN port settings visible to the user on the SR. it basically only telling you the WAN port is up or not. nothing like you can choose PPPoE or DHCP or any other thing. NONE, ZERO, NO! darn....

3rd call, the lady from 1st call picked up again. she said well it's third party router, we don't support it blah blah blah, you should contact Asus and as them how to config... base on her knowledge led me to PPPoE in the first call, I didn't bother to get further discussion on this as I really doubt her knowledge on networking stuffs..

4th call, another guy answered and he got no idea what's going on, I asked him if he can help me to flush my DHCP entry or just release the DHCP on the SR's MAC. he had no clue what I was talking about. but he said he will escalate this issue to singtel's engineering and promised I will have a call back. alright, fair enough...

5th call, the singtel engineer call back (yay!) but out right this guy told me: only the singtel router is supported, I can't use any other 3rd party routers. his suggestion is to set my N56U as bridge mode or AP mode, just acting as an AP or switch without any routing/dchp server/forwarding function (basically like: yeah, you can buy a BMW M5 fully loaded but sorry you can only push it by hands and we don't support it to drive here). he was so sure about this and I don't want to argue with this guy. clearly he thinks he is the singtel engineer and he knows all about networking.. oh well. I do see people using 3rd party routers with their ISPs and I did that with Starhub for two years! and Singtel doesn't want that piece of business at all?!

after 5 calls I am really tired with Singtel's technical support and I don't think I can get anything useful from them anyway whatsoever..

here now my question#2 :
How does the singtel router communicate with Singtel's infra and get its public IP on the WAN port. is there any authentication going on in the backend? or anything binding? anyway to get this thing setup with my N56U?
I've tried cloning the WAN port MAC address from SR onto my N56U's WAN port, no luck.

struggling for more than 48 hours. I gave up. I decided to move all the settings/policies from my N56U onto this SR (yes it's a LOT of it). but then the first feature I need is missing from this really amateur device: I need to forward IP protocol 50 and 51 (AH and ESP) into my LAN so that my VPN server can function. but this SR box only can forward traffic base on TCP/UDP ports! how silly is that!

and I just check the speed on speedtest.net. this 1G plan is giving me 30M download and 40M upload speed. GOOD WORK Singtel!

now I am back to square one, or, question#1. Can I cancel this service/plan as it just activated for 2 days...

Last edited:

nexusRAGER

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think there are some people on the forum that use Asus router on singtel fibre, maybe can try to ask them how did they make it work

sgtomx

Reaction score
i think there are some people on the forum that use Asus router on singtel fibre, maybe can try to ask them how did they make it work

yes. I see a lot ppl using asus routers with singtel. even on youtube there are clips showing how to do setup step by step. e.g. choosing the singtel-others profile etc.. however all those seems not working in my case. that's why I got frustrated and see if I can get any help from here. :)

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IIRC,

Singtel router WAN port is using VLAN tag. your N56U wan port is untagged.

so meaning of course won't be able to get any IP.

nexusRAGER

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes. I see a lot ppl using asus routers with singtel. even on youtube there are clips showing how to do setup step by step. e.g. choosing the singtel-others profile etc.. however all those seems not working in my case. that's why I got frustrated and see if I can get any help from here. :)

haha that’s why i don’t dare venture into 3rd party router for my fibre.. gonna go over to viewquest soon i guess

sgtomx

Reaction score
IIRC,

Singtel router WAN port is using VLAN tag. your N56U wan port is untagged.

so meaning of course won't be able to get any IP.

OMG! Finally someone talk in the right language and right channel!!!!!
may I know what vlan# got tagged onto it? I will look up if N56U can be configured to get vlan tagging on its WAN port... or I have to buy something new...

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
may I know what vlan# got tagged onto it? I will look up if N56U can be configured to get vlan tagging on its WAN port... or I have to buy something new...

this one i got no clue at this point of time (as i'm on M1). but i heard alot of people unable to get through even they configured VLAN on their WAN port.

in network perspective, other than VLAN, i got no other clue on how they do it.

You might want to wait for more responses from the folks here.

ykeen

Reaction score

It's right there in the stickies, you can use SingTel presets in your Asus router for the VLAN settings.

Check out
http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.co...inic-4/asus-n56u-singtel-presets-3540200.html

You can use the Singtel-Others Preset

Just Google Asus SingTel preset you can find it too.

Last edited:

sgtomx

Reaction score
this one i got no clue at this point of time (as i'm on M1). but i heard alot of people unable to get through even they configured VLAN on their WAN port.

in network perspective, other than VLAN, i got no other clue on how they do it.

You might want to wait for more responses from the folks here.

thank you very much for this piece of info. all I need just one word "tagging"!
did some google and found the vlan 10 is Internet, vlan 20 is IPTV and vlan 30 is IP Phone for singtel. so I did the tagging config on my N56 and now it's finally connected!

can't believe I spent that much time with Singtel on phone just can't get them to say this one word!!!

"TAGGING"!

michael2000

Reaction score
case closed. thanks for Mclairs' hint!
but still, Singtel's service sux! that's my impression after the first 72 hours with them.
----------

and I just check the speed on speedtest.net. this 1G plan is giving me 30M download and 40M upload speed. GOOD WORK Singtel!

now I am back to square one, or, question#1. Can I cancel this service/plan as it just activated for 2 days...

I am on Fibre 1G plan with Singtel. I am struggling with Singtel to improve my wireless connection from 30 - 40 Mg speed but to no avail.
Singtel service engineer told me straight to my face that I can get only a max speed of about 70 Mg on wireless. However I can get up to 90% of 1 G with direct hard connection. Now I have to live with it or give up fibre.
I am not happy is why only max 70 mg on wireless.
Any suggestion is appreciated. ty

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
I am on Fibre 1G plan with Singtel. I am struggling with Singtel to improve my wireless connection from 30 - 40 Mg speed but to no avail.
Singtel service engineer told me straight to my face that I can get only a max speed of about 70 Mg on wireless. However I can get up to 90% of 1 G with direct hard connection. Now I have to live with it or give up fibre.
do u know wireless connection speeds got nothing to do with the ISP?

wireless connection depend on environmental factors like wifi interferences from neighbours, channel congestion, distance from router, location of router, wireless clients (max speed they can support) and the router model.

if you're using the 3rd party router, of cos can decide on ur budget vs performance.
if you're using the default router from telco, can't expect them to deliver as good wireless performance as the top end routers.

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

questions:

1) what router you using?
2) if you are using singtel router (what they give is lousy piece of crap), u can throw that one side and upgrade to a better one.
3) like wad other folks here have mentioned, our 2.4g wireless is so congested, you won't be able to get the max speed out of it.

so don't expect too much from wireless.

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank you very much for this piece of info. all I need just one word "tagging"!
did some google and found the vlan 10 is Internet, vlan 20 is IPTV and vlan 30 is IP Phone for singtel. so I did the tagging config on my N56 and now it's finally connected!

can't believe I spent that much time with Singtel on phone just can't get them to say this one word!!!

"TAGGING"!

don't bother with Singtel CS. even they know they won't tell you. it's within their SOP.

They are encouraging subscribers to use their lousy piece of router

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
cant expect the cso to know settings/menu interface of all 3rd party routers right?

they only knw their own routers maybe cos they can provide remote support.

of cos if you know how to setup 3rd party routers with vlan tagging on singtel network, den by all means go ahead n do it.

if not, sticking to the default router shld be a safer bet for most consumers.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.