learning japanese

saffrontan

Reaction score
Well, my job are quite free (a lot of free time and flexible).. i'm a admin officer, but most of the time I am not busy with my work.. so yeah.. apart from classes I will have hours to revise at my workplace.. :) Any advice?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to practice listening and speaking?

I can clear N4 without issues, and probably N3. But my listening and speaking is worse than a first-grader. Which constantly reminds me of the below picture.

c71881a3.jpg

Thinking of going to language school, but questioning the effectiveness of just 10-20 lessons. What next, watch Anime for kids?

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to practice listening and speaking?

I can clear N4 without issues, and probably N3. But my listening and speaking is worse than a first-grader. Which constantly reminds me of the below picture.

c71881a3.jpg

Thinking of going to language school, but questioning the effectiveness of just 10-20 lessons. What next, watch Anime for kids?

Since you mentioned that you are weak in Listening and Speaking, then work towards that.

For listening, you just have to find more Japanese media, be it drama, variety show, podcast or anime. Keep listening and try to grasp their conversations. Since you mentioned that you can probably clear N3, then you should have already understood most of the basic grammar that will appear in these conversations. You can try repeat the practice if you find certain sentences that you don't understand.

For speaking, are you referring to having a conversation or doing a speech? Having a conversation needs you to first be able to understand the speaker and then react to it and form your own sentences in response to the speaker. If your listening is weak, then it will affect your conversation skill as you will not be able to understand the speaker's sentence. If you listening is okay, then you have think fast and reply, putting together the best possible sentence with the vocab and grammar that you can pull off your head. It comes with practice and the more you speak, the easier your brain can connect the dots and come up with the correct response.

As for classes. Why do you think 10-20 lessons can't do much and why are you limiting yourself to 10-20 lessons? Most Japanese learners have been taking classes for years and they understand that their Japanese are never perfect. Having classes is good for your to structure your progress and learn new things while reinforcing what you have learnt. You will have a Sensei who can answer most of your Japanese related questions and you will have classmates whom you can practice speaking Japanese with.

Idme231

Reaction score
Happen to pass by this thread... well..

Failed my JLPT N4 by a few marks back dec 2016... I was like damn it.. what???

Now i dont even know when to retake the test lol....

i studied most of the time by myself back then...
But i guess even if i passed N4, no body will accept me a job in SG...
So i decided to study longer to take N3 instead...

Hahaha... but my friends took N3 and above and passed.. jelly...

Last edited:

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Happen to pass by this thread... well..

Failed my JLPT N4 by a few marks back dec 2016... I was like damn it.. what???

Now i dont even know when to retake the test lol....

i studied most of the time by myself back then...
But i guess even if i passed N4, no body will accept me a job in SG...
So i decided to study longer to take N3 instead...

Hahaha... but my friends took N3 and above and passed.. jelly...

If you pass N5 and N4 barely by a few marks, I would not recommend you to continue N3 and onwards until your foundation is rock solid.

Good Luck....

Idme231

Reaction score
If you pass N5 and N4 barely by a few marks, I would not recommend you to continue N3 and onwards until your foundation is rock solid.

Good Luck....

Haha i knew it... when i open the books for N3, already can die, for now and redo brushing up N4 solid foundation and issues first...
Study until mind explode...

Last edited:

Idme231

Reaction score
practice makes perfect....

:D

That's true. But i also ask questions to whoever i know that passed their test or having extremely strong in that language. Especially when it comes to conversation and listening etc these are pretty essential ... During my trip to japan this year, i can barely make it over there haha...:(:D

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's true. But i also ask questions to whoever i know that passed their test or having extremely strong in that language. Especially when it comes to conversation and listening etc these are pretty essential ... During my trip to japan this year, i can barely make it over there haha...:(:D

Its ok....
Practice makes perfect...

It is one thing in theory (vocab, grammer, etc) and one thing in application (conversation, listening, etc).

In Japan, one fast way to learn is to visit bars, pubs and izakayas.
It will boost your listening, and guts, and conversations (and dialects).
Not recommended for wallets and females may want to with a partner.

0215_izakaya_web.jpg

Last edited:

Idme231

Reaction score
Its ok....
Practice makes perfect...

It is one thing in theory (vocab, grammer, etc) and one thing in application (conversation, listening, etc).

In Japan, one fast way to learn is to visit bars, pubs and izakayas.
It will boost your listening, and guts, and conversations (and dialects).
Not recommended for wallets and females may want to with a partner.

0215_izakaya_web.jpg
Haha never been to a pub or bar in japan before except club. Such a tip that everyone needs to know :)
Wait till i return to japan next year then (Y)

Last edited:

biggirl20

Master Member
Reaction score
has anyone taken classes at tomo language school? not sure if it is good.

i took N4 preparatory class at ikoma this may-jul, so wanna continue to N3..

i hope i can self study as im very tired after work and wanna rest during weekends, not sure if there are books which consolidate all N3 grammar and vocab?

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
has anyone taken classes at tomo language school? not sure if it is good.

i took N4 preparatory class at ikoma this may-jul, so wanna continue to N3..

i hope i can self study as im very tired after work and wanna rest during weekends, not sure if there are books which consolidate all N3 grammar and vocab?

Tomo language school was founded by my ex Japanese teacher. He was teaching in Ikoma before setting up this school. I believe that he isn't using みなの日本語 textbook to teach. He's a good teacher.

You can try studying there for a semester to see whether it suit you.

MindHunter

Banned
Reaction score
how and where do i start if i am completely new to the japanese language?

my first language is mandarin

Idme231

Reaction score
how and where do i start if i am completely new to the japanese language?

my first language is mandarin

1. Go search a school for start. (Ask for recommendations)
2. Most of the schools will ask you to start at the elementary level...

Most of the lessons are systematic and structured.. as you complete levels.. you can proceed...
after which you complete a set of levels.. if you confident... go for JLPT or other examinations where possible...

Good luck.. If you are really in it... its going to be a long journey, but dont give up...

And i doubt the senseis can help you unless you have english...

Last edited:

Idme231

Reaction score
Anybody went pyaess before? Went there to learn and give books that are suitable to learn but however, i stopped halfway....

Just curious asking... is there senseis that teach privately?

Idme231

Reaction score
Tomo language school was founded by my ex Japanese teacher. He was teaching in Ikoma before setting up this school. I believe that he isn't using みなの日本語 textbook to teach. He's a good teacher.

You can try studying there for a semester to see whether it suit you.

Every school seems to use みんなの日本語。。。。 Good book to learn but umm... The book seems alittle hard to use for the questions when i first used it... was wanting to go tomo but i saw the price is alittle ex... what kind of books do they use there?

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Every school seems to use みんなの日本語。。。。 Good book to learn but umm... The book seems alittle hard to use for the questions when i first used it... was wanting to go tomo but i saw the price is alittle ex... what kind of books do they use there?

You will have to check with them.

They will start 2 beginner course in Oct.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.