[ADV] Transform your mobile experience with Moto Z2 Play & Moto Mods – find out how to win!

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Whether is it indoor or outdoor use, the Moto JBL SoundBoost is ready for my requirement! Going on a date, party or gathering, the sound output will be good enough to fill the atmosphere. Even when watching my own private movie, I will appreciate a good sound system!

It doubles up as a speakerphone function for you to go hands-free and go loud!

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Music movie during picnic by the east coast beach or in botanic garden, giving presentation in office, when teo heng is too exp so I can have a mini karaoke at home, when i cannot afford Ed Sheeran concert, or simply chill at home after a day of hard work with a pleasing music, the JBL mod is a must have for all

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just wonder if I do gaming on the latest game, or games per se, will my hand block the sound output from the JBL mod? I understand that it has a kickstand, so is it catered for tabletop/stationary use?

In events like parties, gatherings or excursions, if we watch movies or listen to songs, will the sound be front firing for better immersive experience?

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pretty sad to know that the JBL soundboost mod only work with Moto Z Z2 family of smartphones. Why you might ask? Talking about scalability of a 3w output speakers, it ought to have integrated a micro sd slot for itself to be a standalone player, or comes with Bluetooth functionality for other phones tablets to connect to.

My 2 cents opinion honestly is hard to mouth the cost of a speakers that works on one platform of devices. Should have integrated those functions to really be the standout product!

Btw some other events or activities I could think of

Team building team bonding singing chalet , Christmas new year is coming up definitely many of us will do gift exchange enjoy food listening to Christmas carols and songs, campfire, speeches , perhaps during proposal or wedding chain up many Z2 Play with JBL mods, cycling jogging driving to swimming with music by the poolside, or simply in your own comfort video calling video chat with your loved ones

koreanlover

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The JBL SoundBoost gives 10 hours of playtime built right in. There is a water resistant coating to protect the speaker from splashes from rain. It features a more premium design with fabric and improved contours for a better feel.

Whether you’re listening to music, watching videos or even cheering on your favorite team, the built-in kickstand gives you a truly immersive audio-visual experience. The kickstand can be adjusted to the best angle for projecting the audio. The JBL SoundBoost Mod snaps on to a Moto Z phone, without requiring pairing.

Last edited:

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the spam but here's my last push for the night

Most smartphones, even those marketed as stereo speakers are not as strong for pure entertainment in a gathering or party. So with this mod, I can expect really good sound quality from 6w stereo speaker! With the kickstand, I can turn the z2 play into my personal movie player with strong sound output (maybe packs a punch with more bass?) This mod also comes with an build-in battery that last 10 hours on it's own and does not require pairing, how convenient with speakerphone function!

koreanlover

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the spam but here's my last push for the night

Most smartphones, even those marketed as stereo speakers are not as strong for pure entertainment in a gathering or party. So with this mod, I can expect really good sound quality from 6w stereo speaker! With the kickstand, I can turn the z2 play into my personal movie player with strong sound output (maybe packs a punch with more bass?) This mod also comes with an build-in battery that last 10 hours on it's own and does not require pairing, how convenient with speakerphone function!

Yes sometimes I faced problems with the Bluetooth pairing with my laptop. Since the SoundBoost Mod snaps directly on to the Moto Z phone, there is no such problem!

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes sometimes I faced problems with the Bluetooth pairing with my laptop. Since the SoundBoost Mod snaps directly on to the Moto Z phone, there is no such problem!

True, what this mod really sell is no pairing aka no drop connection and waiting for nonsense led blink here and there for connection :D

In fact was thinking if it acts as a speakerphone, why didn't it comes with a microphone to act like a Mic haha. Rare to find a 6W stereo speakers on a portable device, don't think those premium phones that have build in stereo speakers dare to make claims on their actual output. Really so much use for movies gaming gathering party basically a must have entertainment mod

Gaiason

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
While alot of you talk about the hardware specs, the design and it's usage.

Let me show you with the new JBL Soundboost 2, JBL has also introduced an app for it, it is called My JBL SoundBoost 2. Currently the main feature of the app is allowing you to pick one of six preset equalizer settings:

1. Normal
  2. Metal
  3. Pop
  4. Jazz
  5. Classical
  6. Rock

While these settings do tweak the sound for better balance or tone preference, it still doesn’t allow you to create your own custom equalizer settings. So for now, some people prefer using the equalizer on Moto Z2 play itself to get the exact balance they want if they are very meticulous. Below is a screenshot of the app:

My-JBL-SoundBoost-2-screenshot.jpg

:(:(

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Taking a look at the JBL soundboost mod, one will also realise it is yet again impossible to charge the speaker mod's internal battery through its own USB-C port while playing music simultaneously due to the placement of the charging port. TBH this is a stupid design. They could have relocate the port to the side together with its battery level indicator so that users can press the button and get awareness of the current battery level and be able to anticipate when they should start charging the speaker mod. Rather than having to remove the mod from the phone every single time to check the battery status.

And no, JBL Sound Boost does not offer any app. Even the JBL Sound Boost 2 app also doesn't have battery level indicator either. Useless to the max. :s22:

Do take note JBL Sound Boost 2 app DOES NOT WORK for JBL Sound Boost 1 mod.

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Let me show you with the new JBL Soundboost 2, JBL has also introduced an app for it, it is called My JBL SoundBoost 2. Currently the main feature of the app is allowing you to pick one of six preset equalizer settings:

1. Normal
  2. Metal
  3. Pop
  4. Jazz
  5. Classical
  6. Rock

While these settings do tweak the sound for better balance or tone preference, it still doesn’t allow you to create your own custom equalizer settings. So for now, some people prefer using the equalizer on Moto Z2 play itself to get the exact balance they want if they are very meticulous. Below is a screenshot of the app:

Over at Play Store listing, there are many complaints that this app runs buggy such that any OS notification sound will cut off the current music played and will not return after notification sound ends.

It is advisable for users to rely on Moto Z phones' in built equaliser... :s22:

Then what's the point of having the app right Motorola.... :crazy:

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright, coming back tomorrow for a more boom boom bassy Friday TGIF. Gonna gather a group of friends to discuss what other events or activities will need music. Kickboxing zumba exercise maybe?

Gathering party movie speakerphone dating picnic outing chilling out

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
12 October 2017 UPDATES

We’re down to the last week of the “Transform your mobile experience with Moto Z2 Play & Moto Mods!” contest! Hurry up and participate in this discussion and stand to win attractive prizes!

Qns3.gif

The Moto JBL SoundBoost1 is the perfect companion for all you audiophiles, sporting a thinner 14.5mm, water-resistant body. Featuring two 27mm speakers with 3w of power, this stereo powerhouse even has a built-in 1000mAh battery. A must-have for any occasion, we say! What are some possible situations you’ll use this mod for? Get your creative juices oozing and let us know!

You have till 15 October 2017 to clock in those points and win over $1,000 worth of prizes from Motorola - so chime in the conversation now! Don’t forget to check back on this thread on 16 October 2017 for the last question, so you can chalk up more points!

Well with just a miniature speaker that beats a punch that is best use in some home party or on the go while on the streets with your friends riding the bike.

but still nothing beats the best when a woman that could use the speaker to help here alert others of a thief that steals her wallet/bag/etc. or to protect her alert others when that is someone molesting her. ;) :s8:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1. Normal
  2. Metal
  3. Pop
  4. Jazz
  5. Classical
  6. Rock

well most of the time just by using their own software preset might be even better in most case. :D

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JBL-SoundBoost-review-03.jpg

For Moto JBL Soundboost Mod 1, they are using plastic grille for the speakers.

But for Mod 2, they upgraded with a fabric textured grille with water repelling coating.

JBL-SoundBoost-2-review.jpg

HOWEVER, as you can see from the mod 2 snapshot, the fabric may be water repelling but it is trapping a noticeable amount of dust in the holes. Trying to dust off a fabric material can easily damage the material to permanent extent.

Yet, even on Mod 1 it also won't be any easier to remove dust from the holes in the plastic grille without using toothpick or needle and it is very time consuming.

Therefore, i will advise and hope that JBL can upgrade these speaker grille with removable ones so users can opt to wash the grilles with either water (for plastic grille) or air compressor (for fabric material) since doing it so on existing grille will only force the dust inwards into the speakers, trapping them forever.

These removable speaker grille cover are akin to the ones from our home theatre system monitors.

They should make it such that users can snap on the grille like fan filters after cleaning.

removable.jpg

MoneyFace =p

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Moto JBL SoundBoost1 is the perfect companion for all you audiophiles, sporting a thinner 14.5mm, water-resistant body. Featuring two 27mm speakers with 3w of power, this stereo powerhouse even has a built-in 1000mAh battery. A must-have for any occasion, we say! What are some possible situations you’ll use this mod for? Get your creative juices oozing and let us know!

I will use it during my little nephew's birthday bash to play his favourite cartoon's OST since i can just snap it on and play instantly!

I can also use it during my proposal to my fiancee (IF I REALLY HAVE) by playing the message i have for her that i am too shy to say it out. I can play it out loud in the public to express my love for her and makes her feel proud.

And if school's radio break down due to unforeseen circumstance, i can use this to play the O level's listening comprehension broadcast over radio to save the students. :s13:

Or worst comes worst, my Moto Z2 Play's integrated speaker fails after dropping the phone, i can still rely on this mod to produce sound from my phone until i gotten a new Moto Z phone replacement.

Who says this mod is only useful for parties and sport activities? :s13:

Last edited:

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JBL-SoundBoost-review-03.jpg

For Moto JBL Soundboost Mod 1, they are using plastic grille for the speakers.

But for Mod 2, they upgraded with a fabric textured grille with water repelling coating.

JBL-SoundBoost-2-review.jpg

HOWEVER, as you can see from the mod 2 snapshot, the fabric may be water repelling but it is trapping a noticeable amount of dust in the holes. Trying to dust off a fabric material can easily damage the material to permanent extent.

Yet, even on Mod 1 it also won't be any easier to remove dust from the holes in the plastic grille without using toothpick or needle and it is very time consuming.

Therefore, i will advise and hope that JBL can upgrade these speaker grille with removable ones so users can opt to wash the grilles with either water (for plastic grille) or air compressor (for fabric material) since doing it so on existing grille will only force the dust inwards into the speakers, trapping them forever.

These removable speaker grille cover are akin to the ones from our home theatre system monitors.

They should make it such that users can snap on the grille like fan filters after cleaning.

removable.jpg

Good sharing.

Do agreed if the speaker grille covers of JBLSoundBoost is removable, then it will make the cleaning much more easier. :s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.