Hotel diploma to IT degree possible? Advice needed

quillpig

Reaction score
Request for deletion please

Request to delete thread please.

Last edited:

paper82

Reaction score
Hello, I will be graduating soon with a diploma in hotel management while my interest lies in IT. I have always been interested in coding, programming, cybersecurity since young. Hoping to pursue my interest after graduation.

I would like to seek opinions on:
1) Is there any way I can bridge this gap? Eg. Certification courses, building an IT foundation.
2) Which university/bachelors degree in IT would you recommend the newbie hopefuls to pursue?
3) Realistically speaking, what are the job prospects for the cyber security and programming field?
4) Currently looking at SIM-UOW Digital Systems Security and Kaplan-Murdoch Double Majors in Cyber security & management/computer sci. Would it be too heavy for people with 0 background?
5) My parents are quite concerned about the chances of being able to work in the public sector after getting the degree. Is there someone who can shed light on this?

Thank you.

Both Degree course not easy if you don't have solid IT foundation .

Beastosterone

Reaction score
Programming without background is not easy to learn, cyber security is even harder. I've got a friend who retained and retake 3 times his IT SEC modules before graduating from SIM UOW. Each retake are few months apart. Be prepared to memorize lots of code and syntax for programming related, theories & math calculation for IT Sec.

Other thing to take note, what do you want to be after you graduate? Web developer, software engineer, cybersecurity engineer etc? Usually recommended to be specialize in field and not both.

Technoob91

Reaction score
Anyone ever did bridging courses in Kaplan before going into IT related degree? How hard were the exams?

Because it seems like there is a mountain to study in one month!! 3 modules and 3 exams to complete in 3 weeks. And I’m really stressing out.

My bridging modules are

1. Computer Mathematics and Computer Architecture
2. Introduction to Data Communication
3. Principles of Programming

Any advice/insight will be helpful!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.