M1 Data Passport problems

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
So I subscribed to M1 Data Passport for Indonesia for $10 which allows you to use your local Singapore data allowance in Indonesia. When I get to Jakarta it rarely locks on to the local network and when it does by iPhone only connects to 3G. I cannot get any data through 3G. Things like WhatsApp don't work.

Next week I go Bangkok so I subscribed to M1 ASEAN Data Passport which is similar but covers many ASEAN countries. Same problem. When locked on to the local network get 3G only which does not allow data.

Is it M1 fault, local telco fault, or my phone setting? My iPhone data roaming switched on. Carrier selection auto. Always activate Data Passport before I travel. This is annoying because I travel lot for my job and chose M1 because of Data Passport.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You should select Carrier as manual. It could be because you’re not using the preferred network (e.g. Telkomsel / TrueMove-H / AIS) that’s why network lock is in operation and no data will go through.

Indonesia: Indosat (2G/3G) & XL (2G/3G/4G)
Thailand: DTAC (2G/3G/4G)

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe should do restart the phone in the airport.
As to see the 4G signal able to connect in airport locations.

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By right m1 will auto set to the preferred network as it got network lock but if can't work u need go to manual way like bro Seng advice

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
Have tried most things like reset, switch on /off etc. Always use the correct local network. But always just get 3G data

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So I subscribed to M1 Data Passport for Indonesia for $10 which allows you to use your local Singapore data allowance in Indonesia. When I get to Jakarta it rarely locks on to the local network and when it does by iPhone only connects to 3G. I cannot get any data through 3G. Things like WhatsApp don't work.

Next week I go Bangkok so I subscribed to M1 ASEAN Data Passport which is similar but covers many ASEAN countries. Same problem. When locked on to the local network get 3G only which does not allow data.

Is it M1 fault, local telco fault, or my phone setting? My iPhone data roaming switched on. Carrier selection auto. Always activate Data Passport before I travel. This is annoying because I travel lot for my job and chose M1 because of Data Passport.
Used in Hongkong, no problem.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have tried most things like reset, switch on /off etc. Always use the correct local network. But always just get 3G data

Then you should call M1 to ask for refund of the Data Passport if you can’t use data properly most of the time. Maybe they’ll do so.

FireHobbit

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If din manage to use the data passport at all. Can try to get m1 to waive your charges

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Here you said only got 3G data, first post said 3G cannot get data so what is it actually? You want data in 4g is it?

czheyuan

Master Member
Reaction score
I've been using data passport in several countries including indonesia, thailand, new zealand, china, japan etc without any issues connecting to their 4G network.

Could it be that you set "Enable 4G" as Off? can't seem to think of any other reason besides what the others have suggested above.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some phones may have such issue.
For example, there do have some complain by iPhone users on this 3G only.
Hence most likely it could due to the settings.
For roaming it could depend on their roaming partners, as some may purposely provide 4G for their own customers.
Just saying ...

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
I think this most likely. Combination of low priority data for us and maybe poor reception.

Some phones may have such issue.
For example, there do have some complain by iPhone users on this 3G only.
Hence most likely it could due to the settings.
For roaming it could depend on their roaming partners, as some may purposely provide 4G for their own customers.
Just saying ...

furyoo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've used in Japan and Australia. No issues.

Did you enable data roaming on your phone? Just because it's locked on to a 3g network doesn't mean it will use data unless you tell it to data roam. With all the usual warning messages about roaming charges when you first do so in your phone.

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
Thanks for all your inputs. Now in Jakarta and it works. Guess it must have been bad reception plus bad luck!

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How did you get it to work? I’m in Philippines now and using iPhone 7+, iPhone 7 and iPad mini4 all with M1 unlimited plan and subscribe to data passport.. keep only have 3G signal damn tulan. Can’t surf, even whatsapp very very slow.. like 56k speed.. all setting done properly, manual select preferred network, enable data roaming and enable 4G.. even try reset network setting.. all cannot.. local friend with me using same network for powerful 4G signal, but I’m still 3G so can’t be coverage issue....

Any advice? Email M1 they give me template reply ask me reformat iPhone... wtf... they waived the charges though, but I really wonder what the problem..

hinamoriamu

Reaction score
How did you get it to work? I’m in Philippines now and using iPhone 7+, iPhone 7 and iPad mini4 all with M1 unlimited plan and subscribe to data passport.. keep only have 3G signal damn tulan. Can’t surf, even whatsapp very very slow.. like 56k speed.. all setting done properly, manual select preferred network, enable data roaming and enable 4G.. even try reset network setting.. all cannot.. local friend with me using same network for powerful 4G signal, but I’m still 3G so can’t be coverage issue....

Any advice? Email M1 they give me template reply ask me reformat iPhone... wtf... they waived the charges though, but I really wonder what the problem..

Do you mean mysim98/118 or old unlimited plan

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.