Wechat wallet

ocs_woodlands

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a few questions about this.

1) is it possible to have wechat wallet in the international version of wechat?

2) if 1) is possible, how can I top up the wallet while I am in Singapore & have no China bank card and etc.

Sent from Common Sense using GAGT

kitsura

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only HK and China versions support the wallet. So far for China wechat wallet you need a China bank account to top it up since they need a China ID and bank card number to verify ID before you can use the wallet.

h0neystars

Reaction score
Just back from China.

You are unable to pay via wechat or alipay without china mobile number and china bank account/debit card.

I tried linking all my bank cards (credit/debit) to the mobile payment options but nothing was successful.

The mobile payment there is really amazing. Even the street vendors in the night market asked if I was making payment via alipay or wechat pay. The staff at the convenience shop told us we can get 10% off if we use alipay but.. sadly, we were unable to make any of these payments.

Furthermore, without china phone number, you can't book the taxi 'didi' too. The didi charges are by meter, not fixed pricing like grab/uber.

Even when dining in restaurants, people who have china mobile number/mobile payment options will have an advantage to buy coupons and discounts from this app called 'da zhong dian ping'. If you don't have it, you are probably losing out to all offers and discounts that the locals can enjoy.

Wonder when will china open up their payment options to accept international credit and debit card.. Oh wells.

ocs_woodlands

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only HK and China versions support the wallet. So far for China wechat wallet you need a China bank account to top it up since they need a China ID and bank card number to verify ID before you can use the wallet.

What if I open a bank account in SG with Bank of China and get their Debit or Credit card - can I use that card to link to the Wechat account?

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What if I open a bank account in SG with Bank of China and get their Debit or Credit card - can I use that card to link to the Wechat account?

so far. no such option.

u can only pay someone to top-up ur wechat/alipay wallet

axs i think can buy alipay top-up card

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
so far. no such option.

u can only pay someone to top-up ur wechat/alipay wallet

axs i think can buy alipay top-up card

I think it's all changed recently. You need a Chinese bank account to verify the account. You cannot just get people to top up your account - my China colleagues tried with mine but it just didn't work.

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it's all changed recently. You need a Chinese bank account to verify the account. You cannot just get people to top up your account - my China colleagues tried with mine but it just didn't work.

not sure what's the diff..

my bank acc was open in china.
linked with my verified alipay/wechat acc. no issue receiving $$

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. For Wallet, you can't see it in International WeChat App.

2. If someone sent a Red Packet to you, you cannot accept it without a "Wallet".

3. But if you restart the phone or App?, you MAY see Wallet or Red Packet in the App.

4. To get a "Wallet" you need to have a Local Bank Account AND A Local Mobile Number.

5. To open a Local Bank Account, it's REALLY HARD NOW. If you have a work trip, you MAY open up one with you have an invitation letter or prove of work at the local company. (with local address, no need to be opened by locals). You also need to provide your TAX filing number, in SG it's your NRIC Number.
- Previously can say you have a relative here, and you come often to visit the relative, so it's easier to open an account. But all just changed this year.

6. To have a Local Mobile Number, it's easy. Just go to the Main shop 营业厅. Not those resellers. Best option i had found out is to get the China Mobile 中国移动. RM28 gets you 50 + 100 Minutes Outgoing + 1000mb Local Data + 100mb Whole China Data.
- Previously it's easy, a passport and go to any reseller. Get the RM8 monthly card and use data @ RM1/500MB/Day. No charges if you don't use. Limit of 2GB/3GB per day.

Last edited:

mamboeidos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

2. If someone sent a Red Packet to you, you cannot accept it without a Wallet.

3. But if you restart the phone or App?, you MAY see Wallet or Red Packet in the App.

4. To get a "Wallet" you need to have a Local Bank Account AND A Local Mobile Number.

5. To open a Local Bank Account, it's REALLY HARD NOW. If you have a work trip, you MAY open up one with you have an invitation letter or prove of work at the local company. (with local address, no need to be opened by locals). You also need to provide your TAX filing number, in SG it's your NRIC Number.
- Previously can say you have a relative here, and you come often to visit the relative, so it's easier to open an account. But all just changed this year.

6. To have a Local Mobile Number, it's easy. Just go to the Main shop 营业厅. Not those resellers. Best option i had found out is to get the China Mobile 中国移动. RM28 gets you 50 + 100 Minutes Outgoing + 1000mb Local Data + 100mb Whole China Data.
- Previously it's easy, a passport and go to any reseller. Get the RM8 monthly card and use data @ RM1/500MB/Day. No charges if you don't use. Limit of 2GB/3GB per day.

not really for no. 2

i rmb while i was in china i wanted to use my wallet but then dun have it. so my fren send me a red packet n after opening it I now have wallet.

BTW i used wechat downloaded in Singapore

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not really for no. 2

i rmb while i was in china i wanted to use my wallet but then dun have it. so my fren send me a red packet n after opening it I now have wallet.

BTW i used wechat downloaded in Singapore
Were you able to receive the Red Packet?
I wasn't able to. But I manage to see wallet and Red Packet after I restart the phone. Maybe just need to restart app.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are there any other alternatives to use wechat or alipay in china without bank account or linking to credit card? like making cash topup into wechat / alipay account?

2. If someone sent a Red Packet to you, you cannot accept it without a Wallet.

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
are there any other alternatives to use wechat or alipay in china without bank account or linking to credit card? like making cash topup into wechat / alipay account?

Wallet criteria is:
1. Local China Bank Account
2. Local China Mobile Line

Like i said, you can see "Wallet", and even see "Red Packet".
But without an account that can be linked in "Wallet", you can't receive or send anything.

That's my idea of it. Cos i tried to accept "Red Packet", it asked me to input bank account.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so troublesome & i read nowadays can't survive without these mobile payment in china ... sighz
Wallet criteria is:
1. Local China Bank Account
2. Local China Mobile Line

Like i said, you can see "Wallet", and even see "Red Packet".
But without an account that can be linked in "Wallet", you can't receive or send anything.

That's my idea of it. Cos i tried to accept "Red Packet", it asked me to input bank account.

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so troublesome & i read nowadays can't survive without these mobile payment in china ... sighz

It's really troublesome without these payment methods.
Their local Uber also needs a local China mobile number too.
The drivers usually will call you looking for you.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
yeah... I think it all changed in July 2017 (or relatively recently). My colleague tried to send me ang bao for spending money but it just didn't work because I don't have a China Bank account linked.

When I pay my colleagues in cash after lunch, they laughed and said they haven't seen cash being used for quite a long time.

ChaOrEn

Reaction score
yeah... I think it all changed in July 2017 (or relatively recently). My colleague tried to send me ang bao for spending money but it just didn't work because I don't have a China Bank account linked.

When I pay my colleagues in cash after lunch, they laughed and said they haven't seen cash being used for quite a long time.

I am a frequent visitor to China.
Cash is still the only thing being used as security deposit by some hotels and is still accepted in most places.

Some merchants accept alipay not wechat.
Then if you are taking public bus transport and do not have the local transport card, you have to pay by cash and no change will be provided.

I usually use wechat wallet to pay/receive, sometimes will use alipay to pay if the merchant don't accept wechat. Then I also keep 2 pieces 50 RMB and a few 10 RMB and many 5 RMB and 1 RMB notes for those that don't take wechat or alipay.

Some merchants also participate in the wechat ang bao store where you get 2 ang baos each time you visit a participating merchant. Then you also can steal ang baos from your wechat friends. The next time you visit same merchant and spends 5 RMB, you can open the ang baos (up to 6) and keep the money.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.