Places to get Camera

allan_nalla

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to buy my first ever camera: Sony A6300

That said, I'm torn between places to actually make my purchase (w/ Kit Lens) -
1) Cathay Photo: S$1,469
2) Sony: S$1,499
3) Amazon: US$928 ≈ S$1263 (I presume free shipping since above threshold)

That said, there're a couple of benefits from purchasing it on Amazon, namely cheaper, credit card rebates and piling with other purchases that I have to make.

However, are there some hidden catches that I should know about because I think most people don't purchase from Amazon and go to CathayPhoto (or others) instead? Or is it because they do not provide local warranty and the freebies (such as Memory Card, charger, Case etc.)?

All in all, is there a reason why people do that or am I having the wrong idea?

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u buy from Amazon u will be forgoing e local warranty?

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lazada with discount...

shopback.sg cashback
credit card rebate
liveup cashback

and yes warranty...

have u factor in gst? when u check out... amazon will add :p

fireduke86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to buy my first ever camera: Sony A6300

That said, I'm torn between places to actually make my purchase (w/ Kit Lens) -
1) Cathay Photo: S$1,469
2) Sony: S$1,499
3) Amazon: US$928 ≈ S$1263 (I presume free shipping since above threshold)

That said, there're a couple of benefits from purchasing it on Amazon, namely cheaper, credit card rebates and piling with other purchases that I have to make.

However, are there some hidden catches that I should know about because I think most people don't purchase from Amazon and go to CathayPhoto (or others) instead? Or is it because they do not provide local warranty and the freebies (such as Memory Card, charger, Case etc.)?

All in all, is there a reason why people do that or am I having the wrong idea?

Not a given, there are weight and size restrictions as well.

allan_nalla

Reaction score
Not a given, there are weight and size restrictions as well.

lazada with discount...

shopback.sg cashback
credit card rebate
liveup cashback

and yes warranty...

Ah I didn't factor in GST and the size/weight restrictions. Guess CathayPhoto is the way to go then. Thanks for your replies!

if u buy from Amazon u will be forgoing e local warranty?

Yea that's what I thought. Just wondering if there're other hidden stuff that I should know about. I'll probably just go ahead and buy from Cathay then. Thanks! :s12:

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think for Amazon you need to factor in the 7% GST as it cross the S$400 line.

pixelatedmemories

Reaction score
lazada with discount...

shopback.sg cashback
credit card rebate
liveup cashback

and yes warranty...

Does anyone has any idea as to why does lazada always sell things at a much lower price than retail/amazon. I'm sorry if I may sound bad but I just wanted to clarify if their items are genuine or are they from the grey market? I'm always tempted by the price tho.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone has any idea as to why does lazada always sell things at a much lower price than retail/amazon. I'm sorry if I may sound bad but I just wanted to clarify if their items are genuine or are they from the grey market? I'm always tempted by the price tho.

fulfilled by lazada is legit. for other stuff just buy from local selllers

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is like u take uber or grab... so many coupons.... u also thinking... they earn or not...

MacroHard

Reaction score
For good lobang.

For good price from normal retail shop.
You guys can try out Changi Airport T2 electronics shop near Nanyang cafe.

They can sell without GST with Changi Rewards card.

Benefits of buying from shop is proper receipt and warranty.

If other shops are not having special prices/sales/discounts/promos,

Then your next best bet is this shop minus the 7% GST.

DO TAKE NOTE :
Not all models are available.
Some cameras can't be sold without GST.
So u can still just buy them there at normal prices though.

allan_nalla

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've made my purchase of the A6300 recently (thanks for all your inputs!)
That said, I've read that we actually need a dry box/cabinet for the camera & lenses.

Since I'm just starting out and hence, only owns the camera with its kit lens, do I actually need a dry cabinet?

If so, is Eureka now still considered to be one of the better brands?

I currently keep it in a tupperware with about 6 packets of silica gels. :s13:

Nemesismaster

Master Member
Reaction score
Box with silica gels are useless. They turn pink within days. And yes compulsory to have electronic dry cabinets to protect your camera n lens. Don’t worry their electricity consumption is very insignificant.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've made my purchase of the A6300 recently (thanks for all your inputs!)
That said, I've read that we actually need a dry box/cabinet for the camera & lenses.

Since I'm just starting out and hence, only owns the camera with its kit lens, do I actually need a dry cabinet?

If so, is Eureka now still considered to be one of the better brands?

I currently keep it in a tupperware with about 6 packets of silica gels. :s13:

If you seldom use, u can keep it in a dry box.
I started keeping my 1 body 1 lens in a air tight Tupperware with two tubes of silica gel before getting a dry cabinet.

akarui-dry-cabinet-e40dg-1471919180-7584938-5c657e3cb26cd94fa6fd195e5236147f-product.jpg

allan_nalla

Reaction score
If you seldom use, u can keep it in a dry box.
I started keeping my 1 body 1 lens in a air tight Tupperware with two tubes of silica gel before getting a dry cabinet.

akarui-dry-cabinet-e40dg-1471919180-7584938-5c657e3cb26cd94fa6fd195e5236147f-product.jpg

Box with silica gels are useless. They turn pink within days. And yes compulsory to have electronic dry cabinets to protect your camera n lens. Don’t worry their electricity consumption is very insignificant.

Thanks both!

@Ah_keong, you've actually highlighted an important point that I missed out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm coming from the idea that the dry cabinet primarily serves the purpose of storing the old/spare lens (or even bodies) of professionals like you guys here. Hence, having a dry cabinet is probably essential if one intends to keep their stuff in their drawer/cupboard without frequent usage.

However, I'll probably be bringing it out maybe every weekend, or at the very least every fortnightly. So can I still make do without a dry cabinet with that frequency of usage in mind? (i.e. with the tupperware and silica gels)

Don't be mistaken though, I'm not super-resistant on spending that extra ~$200 to keep my new toy safe and clean. I just don't want to be spending on something that I actually do not have a need for at the current stage, especially since I've just shelled out the money to purchase the camera.

Lastly, sorry for the question that I believed have been asked by others from time to time but I've did some googling. The articles I found are either relatively old (that I'm unsure if there're still valid) or limited in terms of relevance and count.

Last edited:

Nemesismaster

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks both!

@Ah_keong, you've actually highlighted an important point that I missed out.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm coming from the idea that the dry cabinet primarily serves the purpose of storing the old/spare lens (or even bodies) of professionals like you guys here. Hence, having a dry cabinet is probably essential if one intends to keep their stuff in their drawer/cupboard without frequent usage.

However, I'll probably be bringing it out maybe every weekend, or at the very least every fortnightly. So can I still make do without a dry cabinet with that frequency of usage in mind? (i.e. with the tupperware and silica gels)

Don't be mistaken though, I'm not super-resistant on spending that extra ~$200 to keep my new toy safe and clean. I just don't want to be spending on something that I actually do not have a need for at the current stage, especially since I've just shelled out the money to purchase the camera.

Lastly, sorry for the question that I believed have been asked by others from time to time but I've did some googling. The articles I found are either relatively old (that I'm unsure if there're still valid) or limited in terms of relevance and count.

Don’t take chance bro. I kenna fungus before. They are real threat. Anyway I don’t have a dry cabinet company for promoting it. It’s your choice and your camera.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.