Best Fujinon lenses

pixelatedmemories

Reaction score
Hello, I'm interested to change my nikon to the fujifilm xt20 and I'm wondering if I should give the 18-55mm a miss and get the 23mm f2. Also, I would also like to hear which fujinon lenses are your favourite.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice, rare to see fuji users around.

Currently have the xe3 and the lens i have is the xf16 f1.4, xf23 f2, xf50 f2 and the xf50-140 f2.8.

My personal favourite is still the xf23 f2 and of cause the telephoto xf50-140 f2.8.

In terms of street, candid, food, casual friends group photos, the xf23 f2 will do a great job. It is damn sharp, small and compact. The bokeh on it isnt that creamy smooth, just fine.

But overall may i ask what kind of photography are you into?

pixelatedmemories

Reaction score
Nice, rare to see fuji users around.

Currently have the xe3 and the lens i have is the xf16 f1.4, xf23 f2, xf50 f2 and the xf50-140 f2.8.

My personal favourite is still the xf23 f2 and of cause the telephoto xf50-140 f2.8.

In terms of street, candid, food, casual friends group photos, the xf23 f2 will do a great job. It is damn sharp, small and compact. The bokeh on it isnt that creamy smooth, just fine.

But overall may i ask what kind of photography are you into?

Yes!! Fuji is so underrated though!

THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATIONS! OH I’ve heard really good reviews about the 16mm f1.4 and would love to try it someday (when I have the cash haha).

I like to take portraits of friends and landscapes when I travel. And yes while I do agree that the 23mm f2 is a good lens that I would want to own, I am still thinking if I should still get the 18-55.

Anyway, I would also like to ask why do you chose 23mm f2 instead of f1.4? And also, why mot the 35mm.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes!! Fuji is so underrated though!

THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATIONS! OH I’ve heard really good reviews about the 16mm f1.4 and would love to try it someday (when I have the cash haha).

I like to take portraits of friends and landscapes when I travel. And yes while I do agree that the 23mm f2 is a good lens that I would want to own, I am still thinking if I should still get the 18-55.

Anyway, I would also like to ask why do you chose 23mm f2 instead of f1.4? And also, why mot the 35mm.

Weight and size! The difference is huge! Xf16 is twice the size of the xf23.

Second, the xf23 would be a better choice as the xf16 is very wide. If you are going to take portraits and friends, you will need to have the xf16 very near to your friends. Some really do not like a camera sticking so close to them. And lastly descrete.

Imho xf16 is a great lens. But i dont recomend using it if you wanna snap for portraits. Landscape yes. If you dont have space to move around and you have hard time taking group photos, the xf16 will do the job well.

I didnt went for the xf35. I will get it some day, if it is cheaper. If you have a xf23, you wont really need a 35mm focal length. To me xf23 f2 is just perfect size, weight ratio.

18-55mm is also a good standard zoom lens. This kit lens is widely available. Imho, not worth to buy it with as a kit lol. Example, xe3 with 23mm is at 1899 srp. Xe3 with 18-55 is 2099.

And i also noticed 18-55 is so common that there are plenty available from ebay, amazon, qoo10, carousell. They are so cheap if you dont mind without the warranty.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I like the

Chris-Gampat-The-Phoblographer-Fujifilm-56mm-f1.2-first-impressions-product-photos-6-of-7ISO-8001-60-sec-at-f-2.8.jpg

fuji-superyacht-photographer-56mm-lens7543-1.jpg

pixelatedmemories

Reaction score
Weight and size! The difference is huge! Xf16 is twice the size of the xf23.

Second, the xf23 would be a better choice as the xf16 is very wide. If you are going to take portraits and friends, you will need to have the xf16 very near to your friends. Some really do not like a camera sticking so close to them. And lastly descrete.

Imho xf16 is a great lens. But i dont recomend using it if you wanna snap for portraits. Landscape yes. If you dont have space to move around and you have hard time taking group photos, the xf16 will do the job well.

I didnt went for the xf35. I will get it some day, if it is cheaper. If you have a xf23, you wont really need a 35mm focal length. To me xf23 f2 is just perfect size, weight ratio.

18-55mm is also a good standard zoom lens. This kit lens is widely available. Imho, not worth to buy it with as a kit lol. Example, xe3 with 23mm is at 1899 srp. Xe3 with 18-55 is 2099.

And i also noticed 18-55 is so common that there are plenty available from ebay, amazon, qoo10, carousell. They are so cheap if you dont mind without the warranty.

Okay. Thanks for your advice!!I’ll be getting the xt20 with 23mm f2 first then! :) yes I agree with the 1.6mm reviews but I do know that it’s a good lens and I’ll be sure to get it in the future for landscape photography! :) looking forward to shoot with fuji! :D

pixelatedmemories

Reaction score
@Ah_keong

Do you own a fujifilm too? I've heard good things about the 56mm f1.2 too! I'll be sure to add this to my collection next time haha

Fujifilm's lenses are all great! :( I'm torn between so many of them!!

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Ah_keong

Do you own a fujifilm too? I've heard good things about the 56mm f1.2 too! I'll be sure to add this to my collection next time haha

Plenty of nice lens out there lol. Just no money to buy everything.

Prime xf16 1.4, xf23 2, xf35 2, xf50 2, xf56 1.2.
Zoom lens xf18-135, xf55-200
Premium red badge xf16-55 f2.8, xf50-140 f2.8

Haha, have you watched the making of fuji lens in their youtube channel?

pixelatedmemories

Reaction score
Plenty of nice lens out there lol. Just no money to buy everything.

Prime xf16 1.4, xf23 2, xf35 2, xf50 2, xf56 1.2.
Zoom lens xf18-135, xf55-200
Premium red badge xf16-55 f2.8, xf50-140 f2.8

Haha, have you watched the making of fuji lens in their youtube channel?

YES AGREE! I would love to own a collection of 23 f2, 35 f1.4 or 2, 16 f1.4 and 56 f1.2 some day!

Nope, I've never watched it before.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Ah_keong

nope.

I was considering Fujifilm system at that time so did some research....

thsnco

Reaction score
YES AGREE! I would love to own a collection of 23 f2, 35 f1.4 or 2, 16 f1.4 and 56 f1.2 some day!

Good to see fellow Fuji user here. I am using the X-T1, lens includes 16mm f1.4, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f2 and the kit 18-55mm. So far my personal favorite lens is the 16mm f1.4. During my last Taiwan trip with my family, the 16mm was on my camera almost the whole trip. Plenty of portrait shots was done with this lens. Only changed once to the 35mm f2 to try out that lens. Btw the 23mm f1.4 was bought after the trip. If you are doing portrait of friends and landscape, personally I would suggest the 16mm. Because with friends, you have no problem going near them. Also when you are in tight and crowded places (eg. taiwan 九份老街) , the 16mm really comes in very handy.

Currently I am switching between the 16mm and the 23mm, both image quality is amazing but the 16mm has a slight advantage of able to shoot very close to the subject (plants, flowers, insects...) and makes it looks like a macro shot. With f1.4, both lens give beautiful bokeh effect.

You mentioned about the 56mm f1.2, I was also planning to get it but recently Fuji released the 80mm f2.8 and it is giving me a hard time wondering which is a better choice. The 80mm gives amazing portrait shot, it is weather sealed, with OIS AND also a Macro lens!!! BUT...it also cost a bomb :(.

As for the camera body, I would suggest that you take a look at the XE3 too. It comes with a new and faster focusing system and also there's a joystick for you to move your focus point easily. Personally I really wish that joystick is on my XT1 =:p . Hope my personal experience is of help to you.

Last edited:

pixelatedmemories

Reaction score
Good to see fellow Fuji user here. I am using the X-T1, lens includes 16mm f1.4, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f2 and the kit 18-55mm. So far my personal favorite lens is the 16mm f1.4. During my last Taiwan trip with my family, the 16mm was on my camera almost the whole trip. Plenty of portrait shots was done with this lens. Only changed once to the 35mm f2 to try out that lens. Btw the 23mm f1.4 was bought after the trip. If you are doing portrait of friends and landscape, personally I would suggest the 16mm. Because with friends, you have no problem going near them. Also when you are in tight and crowded places (eg. taiwan 九份老街) , the 16mm really comes in very handy.

Currently I am switching between the 16mm and the 23mm, both image quality is amazing but the 16mm has a slight advantage of able to shoot very close to the subject (plants, flowers, insects...) and makes it looks like a macro shot. With f1.4, both lens give beautiful bokeh effect.

You mentioned about the 56mm f1.2, I was also planning to get it but recently Fuji released the 80mm f2.8 and it is giving me a hard time wondering which is a better choice. The 80mm gives amazing portrait shot, it is weather sealed, with OIS AND also a Macro lens!!! BUT...it also cost a bomb :(.

As for the camera body, I would suggest that you take a look at the XE3 too. It comes with a new and faster focusing system and also there's a joystick for you to move your focus point easily. Personally I really wish that joystick is on my XT1 =:p . Hope my personal experience is of help to you.

Wow thanks for all the advice! Okay in that case I will definitely be getting the 16 f1.4 for my next lens! For now I'll just get the 23mm f1.4 or f2! I don't really have the budget now cos it would cost me an arm and leg. x_x Anyway, do you own the 18-55 or 16-55?

Oh? Is that only recently released? I havent saw anyone trying out that lens nor doing any reviews on it. Maybe you would have a better idea after watching reviews about it when people get their hands on it? Or maybe you can get one and do a review haha :pBut personally, I would definitely appreciate the f1.2 that comes with the 56mm.

Yes actually I was considering between the XE3 and XT20 but I prefer the dials since I am more familiar with the DSLR like controls. Also, I really appreciate the flippy flaps screen that XT20 has offered but anyway thansk for the suggestion tho! :)

Anyway, does anyone own the Samyang 12mm f1.2? I've heard extremely good reviews about it and I've seen superb photos taken by it too!

Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yeap agree here with the xf16 1.4r. But however you are great to have friends that dont mind a camera sticking near them lah. Mine all so shy or see a lens so close to them like kenna freak out.

Also i love taking pics with/or my dog, so this is where i can never use either the xf16 or xf23 lol. This focal length my dog will scram before i could even snap a shot. Oh wells.

And yes i do agree the macro and bokeh for xf16 is indeed interesting.

Have you tried the XF80? Kinda overpriced imho. But a prime lens, macro, good portrait, ois and bokeh, oh my. Try it out at their studio i almost bought it. In the end i told myself that with that kind of budget 1.9k, i would have bought my dream lens, the xf50-140 for wildlife and my dog outings. Hence i went ahead with the xf50-140.

Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the advice! Okay in that case I will definitely be getting the 16 f1.4 for my next lens! For now I'll just get the 23mm f1.4 or f2! I don't really have the budget now cos it would cost me an arm and leg. x_x Anyway, do you own the 18-55 or 16-55?

Oh? Is that only recently released? I havent saw anyone trying out that lens nor doing any reviews on it. Maybe you would have a better idea after watching reviews about it when people get their hands on it? Or maybe you can get one and do a review haha :pBut personally, I would definitely appreciate the f1.2 that comes with the 56mm.

Yes actually I was considering between the XE3 and XT20 but I prefer the dials since I am more familiar with the DSLR like controls. Also, I really appreciate the flippy flaps screen that XT20 has offered but anyway thansk for the suggestion tho! :)

Anyway, does anyone own the Samyang 12mm f1.2? I've heard extremely good reviews about it and I've seen superb photos taken by it too!

XE3 will take a while for you to get used to lol. The joystick acts both as a navigation for photos and also for the focus point.

The difference would be you get to* rest your palm on it and having a slightly better handling, especially if you are using bigger lens.

Since now this month promo, the xt20 and xe3 they are giving away the MHG which will improve your grip, but i find that with the MHG, the xe3 handling will be better than xt20.

So do give in your consideration before you make your purchase. :s12:

Last edited:

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel that 56mm is more versatile than 80mm general portraits, unless you are doing headshots and using macro to do headshots....... may amplify......

maxresdefault.jpg

oscar210_5_Fujifilm-_900339d31e6f12e7de31e78da7a5c94fori.JPG

lhspeanut

Reaction score
I have a xf 23mm f2, struggling with taking sharp photos though. I think its because I am new to prime lens. lol

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.