Need help in London, i might be able to help you

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 week is 7 days. Daily transport could set u around 10gbp

Food wise..not cheap and depending on what u eat. Note that their food is expensive not as cheap as Singapore. E.g. average meal cost around 15gbp

If u are visiting attractions that require entrance fees u might want to take that in account

Within London..most attractions are within walking distance. If u don't mind..walk
E.g. big ben, London bridge, ,tower bridge, palace, London eye, the museum, tower of London etc are all within walking distance

Thanks guys... I'm planning for abt 1k-1.5k for 10days in london... 5 days will be staying with friends and accomodation shared... The other days on my own... Booking airbnb cheaper than hotels rite? Still planning for it....

Last edited:

tokyofanboi

Reaction score
Looking for a clean hotel in London budget $300 5 nights any suggestions? Ideally near a tube?

Thanks šŸ˜¬

$60 for a night is not possible, London accommodation is not that cheap. Minimum $110 for budget if near tube need to pay more

tokyofanboi

Reaction score
Thanks guys... I'm planning for abt 1k-1.5k for 10days in london... 5 days will be staying with friends and accomodation shared... The other days on my own... Booking airbnb cheaper than hotels rite? Still planning for it....

Airbnb might not be cheap need to do research as depend on season

TravelJewel

Reaction score
Which area to stay in London? First time to London

Hi,

Any kind soul able to recommend the area to stay in London which is easier to move around?

TQVM

tokyofanboi

Reaction score
Paddington, Queensway or bayswater

Paddington is like the train interchange
Queensway and bayswater are a nice little neighbourhood thereā€™s direct bus from oxford/bond street after your shopping

Hi,

Any kind soul able to recommend the area to stay in London which is easier to move around?

TQVM

orangemonkey88

Reaction score
How about your transport costs? Worth it to buy the 7 day unlimited travel pass or just keep topping up? Thereā€™s a cap of per day right

There is a cap a day. If you're going to take more than 3 trips a day u will likely hit the cap already. Depends on your duration you will be in london and if you will be taking the tube from heathrow to zone 1 and also what time you are arriving
Most SG -LHR flights arrive in the early morning like 5-6am. Any travel before 930am counts as a peak period trip. while your 1 way ticket cost the same, Presumably most ppl will be travelling around most of the day when you are in london.
this means if you dont buy a travel pass, your ticket for the day will be counted as a peak zone 1-6 travel pass which is like GBP12 for a day. The other days the off peak travel cap is about GBP 6+ for zone 1-2 which most ppl will be based in.
When I go to london for 5 days or more and I take the tube to the airport, I tend to buy a 1 week zone 1-2 travel card.This will work out at a cost of GBP33 for all my zone 1-2 travel. Once you have a travel pass, to extend the zone 2-6 journey, TFL only charges a GBP1.50 extra top up. So total cost of airport and within london travelling for 5-7 days is GBP36 flat. (U will need a oyster card and to put the travel pass on your oyster card for these rates)
If you are london for 4 days or less than PAYG on the oyster may not work out cheaper or comparable depending on the journeys you are planning to make

Last edited:

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
If I only take turn from airport to city and going to spend 4 days in London, what pass should i buy or just buy oyster pass. Also looking in how to buy cheap express train to city. thanks !

There is a cap a day. If you're going to take more than 3 trips a day u will likely hit the cap already. Depends on your duration you will be in london and if you will be taking the tube from heathrow to zone 1 and also what time you are arriving
Most SG -LHR flights arrive in the early morning like 5-6am. Any travel before 930am counts as a peak period trip. while your 1 way ticket cost the same, Presumably most ppl will be travelling around most of the day when you are in london.
this means if you dont buy a travel pass, your ticket for the day will be counted as a peak zone 1-6 travel pass which is like GBP12 for a day. The other days the off peak travel cap is about GBP 6+ for zone 1-2 which most ppl will be based in.
When I go to london for 5 days or more and I take the tube to the airport, I tend to buy a 1 week zone 1-2 travel card.This will work out at a cost of GBP33 for all my zone 1-2 travel. Once you have a travel pass, to extend the zone 2-6 journey, TFL only charges a GBP1.50 extra top up. So total cost of airport and within london travelling for 5-7 days is GBP36 flat.
If you are london for 4 days or less than PAYG on the oyster may not work out cheaper or comparable depending on the journeys you are planning to make

tokyofanboi

Reaction score
If I only take turn from airport to city and going to spend 4 days in London, what pass should i buy or just buy oyster pass. Also looking in how to buy cheap express train to city. thanks !

Either by tube or heathrow express. For heathrow express is abit expensive but is convenient and fast, purchase 3mths ahead you get a cheaper price.

For tube it take about a hour to reach the city and will be charge at peak rate.
For my 2mths ago trip i use heathrow to save all the hassle where i get to earn points to offset my ticket to Denmark

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
I see.

Do you have the link to book the tickets etc ? Me slightly confused with the travel cards . Thanks so much!:o
Either by tube or heathrow express. For heathrow express is abit expensive but is convenient and fast, purchase 3mths ahead you get a cheaper price.

For tube it take about a hour to reach the city and will be charge at peak rate.
For my 2mths ago trip i use heathrow to save all the hassle where i get to earn points to offset my ticket to Denmark

tokyofanboi

Reaction score
I see.

Do you have the link to book the tickets etc ? Me slightly confused with the travel cards . Thanks so much!:o

https://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/underground.htm

Heathrow Airport is at Zone 6 and Paddington Zone 1, using Heathrow express the cost is 37pound (Return)

By tube, using Oyster card peak hour is 5.10 pound and 3.10pound for off peak (Peak fares apply Monday to Friday between 6:30 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. except public holidays). From Singapore to london, the usual arrival time is 5am but clearing the custom and getting the luggages will take quite a while and chances is you will be taking the peak hour train, 10.20pound (return) and also not to forget need to do transfer

Taking the tube indeed save a lot but waste quite a bit of time unless you travel very light and in no rush

orangemonkey88

Reaction score

It is probably cheaper or the same to just use a pay as you go oyster card than to buy any travel pass on the oyster card if you only have 4 days.

There is heathrow express but that is more expensive https://www.heathrowexpress.com/
you can also check out heathrow connect that takes 10 minutes more but works up significantly cheaper but frequency of trains less often https://www.heathrowconnect.com/
check the websites and see if there are advanced tickets which can run out q fast, the other problem with advance tickets is you have to decide and fixed time and the customs lines at heathrow for international arrivals can vary q abit. If you end up late, you cant use your ticket anymore. if you reach early and wait around you might as well just take the tube which takes 45mins-1 hr to reach central depending on yr destinations. I used to live there for 6 years and made frequent trips back every year so am quite experience with the customs and wont advise for you to prebook your heathrow-london tickets. It will probably be safe to book your london-heathrow leg though since for that you can at least control your time
if there are no cheap advance tickets/you cant decide on the time, can just buy on the spot at the airport. there are many machines where you can buy the ticket from

But depending on where you are going to be based in london,and contrary to popular belief, the heathrow express/connect may not be much cheaper nor faster as well. This is also bearing in mind that you will have to change from the trains to the underground tube if you are going anywhere else that is not paddington is not exactly the most central place in zone 1. Say if you were going to waterloo or the east or south bit of zone 1, you may end up taking similar times +/- 10 minutes and have to factor in the extra time to change to connect from overhead trains to underground trains, and may also require to change the underground lines a few times depending on which underground line your destination is at. perhaps you can advise us on yr destination and we can advise you better.

If you are taking the flight that arrives at 5/6am, usually no issues with the tube then as there is not much traffic at that time in the morning. I always travel on the tube with like 2 luggages at least by myself and have coped with it (just bear in mind there are stairs on many tube stations/overhead stations)

Last edited:

droozy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Appreciate your detail reply.

Will reach airport at 705am. My lodging is near St Pancras. after 4 days in London, i will take train to Paris.

I guess it will be peak hours by the time i collect my backpack. So maybe i can take heathrowconnect and change a train to St Pancras station?

The 1 day travelcard at 12.30 pounds. Can the card take heathrowconnect and also to St Pancras station?https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/london-travelcard/

Or get Oyster pass ( which i can buy online first ? Need to read up where to top up too. Aside which website has cheaper tickets if i book in advance to Paris for e.g., switzerland ? train.eu ?

Thanks so much for your reply:o
It is probably cheaper or the same to just use a pay as you go oyster card than to buy any travel pass on the oyster card if you only have 4 days.

There is heathrow express but that is more expensive https://www.heathrowexpress.com/
you can also check out heathrow connect that takes 10 minutes more but works up significantly cheaper but frequency of trains less often https://www.heathrowconnect.com/
check the websites and see if there are advanced tickets which can run out q fast, the other problem with advance tickets is you have to decide and fixed time and the customs lines at heathrow for international arrivals can vary q abit. If you end up late, you cant use your ticket anymore. if you reach early and wait around you might as well just take the tube which takes 45mins-1 hr to reach central depending on yr destinations. I used to live there for 6 years and made frequent trips back every year so am quite experience with the customs and wont advise for you to prebook your heathrow-london tickets. It will probably be safe to book your london-heathrow leg though since for that you can at least control your time
if there are no cheap advance tickets/you cant decide on the time, can just buy on the spot at the airport. there are many machines where you can buy the ticket from

But depending on where you are going to be based in london,and contrary to popular belief, the heathrow express/connect may not be much cheaper nor faster as well. This is also bearing in mind that you will have to change from the trains to the underground tube if you are going anywhere else that is not paddington is not exactly the most central place in zone 1. Say if you were going to waterloo or the east or south bit of zone 1, you may end up taking similar times +/- 10 minutes and have to factor in the extra time to change to connect from overhead trains to underground trains, and may also require to change the underground lines a few times depending on which underground line your destination is at. perhaps you can advise us on yr destination and we can advise you better.

If you are taking the flight that arrives at 5/6am, usually no issues with the tube then as there is not much traffic at that time in the morning. I always travel on the tube with like 2 luggages at least by myself and have coped with it (just bear in mind there are stairs on many tube stations/overhead stations)

Last edited:

orangemonkey88

Reaction score
Just buy a oyster pass at the airport, can top up using the machines at the airport also. No need to buy a 1 day pass. The oyster pass will automatic cap it if you reach the 1 day pass limit.
Take the picadilly line all the way from heathrow to st pancreas, no need to change trains.
cannot use oyster for heathrow connect. and if you take heathrow connect you have to pay for the tube from london to st pancreas also, not worth it. and also have to change from overhead train to underground line

customs may take up to 2 hours at 7am. After 930 becomes offpeak day pass. so if you can see what time you finish, if it's not too long ago, maybe you can go cafe nero or mns and grab a coffee/breakfast first before you head straight into london, saves you about 5pounds

apeape

Reaction score
From what I can remember, Oyster pass is worth it, but abit expensive since one tube trip is about Ā£2.50. So if possible, walk everywhere. But be careful if you are using Google Maps like I did, as it will make you walk to some poor neighborhoods which have chavs hanging about. Fortunately for us, all they did was stare and laugh lol.

For what its worth, I stayed at Finsbury Park, not too near yet not too far from everything else. It's near the Arsenal Football Club stadium(although i'm a Man Utd fan) It was $70 a night for Airbnb

tokyofanboi

Reaction score
try using groupon.co.uk. They do have very good deals for afternoon tea, day trip to stonehenge and etc

Kevin10

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

as I am first timer in London, which hotel will you recommend from the list below, thanks.

Hub By Premier Inn Westminster
Hub by Premier Inn WestMinster St James Park
Premier Inn WaterLoo

Or any other recommendations which is below SGD250 per night ?

Thanks for help.

Basically I have narrow down my area to stay to be at Westminster or Waterloo as it is quite central to most attractions.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.