[ADVISE]: Part-Time Diploma In Infocomm & Digital Media in NYP

melvinchen

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

These maybe my last post with regrad to the course information here since I have started my course "withdrawal" process with NYP.

As I still do not have the heart to tell Mr. Ong and Mr. Simon that due to my work schedule and job nature, I will not be able to continue with the study to achieve the grades I wanted so I wrote to them as to defer for the next semester. But if things go well for the job, I will withdraw when the deferement expires as I have only 5 years to complete this course and I will have only one deferment left after this one.

My results for the NYP Diploma for this course is out today;

f270fbe2-925a-45c9-8d8d-ac6112c86531.png

I cannot find any schalorship nor sponsorship to continue so no choice..haha

Hope to see you all again, my fellow NYP part-time classmates!

Bye!
Calvin

TS and anther classmate of ours are the so far the only students who is able to maintain GPA 4.0 consistently throughout our course of study.

melvinchen

Master Member
Reaction score
The entry test are basic IT questions and some engineering math problem. I am not from engineering background and I can do quite well in the test, so if you have some knowledge in IT, you should be ok.

Besides the entry test, you will be required to attend an interview after the test, I am not sure what the lecturer asked in the interview as I was not suppose to go for the entry test but I turn up anyway...haha

The questions are easy, do practice on binary and decimal conversions cause it will be tested.
I was granted entry with GCE N level (NT), VMware VCP and relevant working experience and I have graduated from the course.

I'm now taking a short break before furthering my studies to fulfill a long time dream of getting my degree.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The questions are easy, do practice on binary and decimal conversions cause it will be tested.
I was granted entry with GCE N level (NT), VMware VCP and relevant working experience and I have graduated from the course.

I'm now taking a short break before furthering my studies to fulfill a long time dream of getting my degree.

how old are u ? u have no financial commitments ?

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
34 this year, the diploma is cheap after government subsidies.

300-800++ per semester depending on your age and income.
Those who earn lesser will get more government subsidies.

I know the course is cheap.. I mean the opportunity cost of not working if you continue for degree... part time degree ?

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
Well, for most of working adults who want to study for a degree, most will go for the part time degree route.

However, the university bridging course may require a full time commitment.

I am also not sure if part time local universities degree require a bridging course or not...

melvinchen

Master Member
Reaction score
I know the course is cheap.. I mean the opportunity cost of not working if you continue for degree... part time degree ?

Yup, part time degree and at the moment I favor Australian system which consider poly diploma as year 1 so we just need to complete the rest of the core and elective modules to graduate.

Load of Australian universities is generally lighter and more suitable for working adults.

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems like Temasek Poly and Republic Poly has also came out with their own 2.5 year CET part-time IT course similar to this.

Might be good for those who feel NYP is too far from their workplace or home (for those in the East side)

danielgoh555

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am 45 this year have only N level cert but I'm very interested and have great passion in IT network and system administration , looking to take up a course with the fastest and shortest way in order to meet up with my age. Any recommendations and advises ? My aim is to actually do freelance or start up my own business in future.

Last edited:

g2gcio

Reaction score
It is difficult to get a network admin job with a dipolma; most organisations need people with hand-on experience. Try to check out whether any poly will help with internship placement after you complete the course work. Hand on experience in a real life organisation will give you a head start

uniquely_ad

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am 45 this year have only N level cert but I'm very interested and have great passion in IT network and system administration , looking to take up a course with the fastest and shortest way in order to meet up with my age. Any recommendations and advises ? My aim is to actually do freelance or start up my own business in future.

If you’re gonna be doing freelance/ own business then why not just do it now? You don’t need carts for the things u want to do

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
It seems like Temasek Poly and Republic Poly has also came out with their own 2.5 year CET part-time IT course similar to this.

Might be good for those who feel NYP is too far from their workplace or home (for those in the East side)

Yes, I agree with you that those who stays in the East can now go to TP instead of coming all the way to NYP as both courses offer similar subjects.

Unlike during my time, there is only NYP which conducts those subjects.

Calvin.Lee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hi,

I am glad to hear that someone of my age group shares the same kind of passion that I have for Networking and System Administration.

If that is your passion, then the part time diploma offer at NYP will fit you to a T!

Although there are now more than one Polytechnic offering the part time diploma course offered by NYP of the same name, NYP provides a comprehensive route for IT Networking and System Administration as you will learn both Windows and Linux administration and a full CCNA (in 4 subject in 4 MC with the added Networking bonus of CCNA Voice and CCMA Security) in the diploma.

There are very little programming subject besides the Linux Bash programming in the first MC (if you consider it a programming subject, i prefer to call it an enhancement to the Linux system administration subject in the second MC).

You will also get a chance to learn both Windows Server 2012 and LINUX administration in the course but you will have to do more if you want to pursue the MCSA/MCSE or LINUX certification route.

The security subjects taught in the course will prepare you for the CCNA Security subject in MC5 (on the security aspect, networking is covered by the CCNA subjects via MC1-4).

There are more practical subjects than theory based ones in the diploma course. ITSM, Info Security, Cloud Computing, Green Computing and Virtualisation & Data Centre are the theory based subjects. Although, Cloud Computing, Green Computing, Info Security and Virtualisation & Data Centre do have practical labs, only Virtualisation have an embedded lab test if I am not wrong.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.