xkwlx38.jpg

Galaxy S9+ likely specs
WLwkFRc.jpg

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
No headphone jack??????????

:(:(:(:(

Bluetooth headphones/earphones for the win!
:s22::s22::s22:

sunkissg

Reaction score
1. Move fingerprint sensor to the center of the phone. Such an awkward placement currently.
2. Give up the edges on the screen. Not of much use and hard to use the phone when you have one hand pressing on them.
3. Otherwise S8 is almost a 10/10.

User experience.

WhiteAnt

Banned
Reaction score
Too bad there won't be fingerprint scanner underneath screen. That would be mind blowing as iphone face Id is still not as reliable as fingerprint :o

Frankly, I don't find facial recognition satki at all. It's a waste of time to raise the phone up to my face just to unlock it.

Let's see what s9 can offer since the design should be 95% similar and only cutting away more bezel...

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
The Galaxy S9 might have slimmer bezels than the Galaxy S8+

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-galaxy-s9-might-have-slimmer-bezels-galaxy-s8

From article
".....The South Korean company is able to achieve it by eliminating the bottom bezel and making the top bezel narrower. As a result, the Galaxy S9 might have a screen-to-body ratio of 89% to 90%......"

"......Other than slimmer bezels, the Galaxy S9 is rumoured to sport a new camera system with "three-layered image sensor" for capturing up to 1,000 photos a second, faster iris scanner and facial recognition features....."

tkl23786

Master Member
Reaction score
Samsung could announce the Galaxy S9 in February (2018)

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-samsung-could-announce-galaxy-s9-february

From article

".......Samsung is planning to announce the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus as early as late February with retail availability slated in March....."

"......Galaxy S9 models will have the same display sizes as the Galaxy S8 series, a 1,000 fps camera, faster iris scanner and facial recognition, faster overall performance and 512GB storage option...."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Samsung could announce the Galaxy S9 in February (2018)

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-samsung-could-announce-galaxy-s9-february

From article

".......Samsung is planning to announce the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus as early as late February with retail availability slated in March....."

"......Galaxy S9 models will have the same display sizes as the Galaxy S8 series, a 1,000 fps camera, faster iris scanner and facial recognition, faster overall performance and 512GB storage option...."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

So looking forward to it.. no need microSD card already for me..

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So looking forward to it.. no need microSD card already for me..

:o I'd rather they don't up prices further north. Still prefer my photos to be on mSD, although a welcome for internal storage to start at 128GB given how much space WhatsApp and apps require.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:o I'd rather they don't up prices further north. Still prefer my photos to be on mSD, although a welcome for internal storage to start at 128GB given how much space WhatsApp and apps require.

definitely, samsung will have to justify the price hike and i believe, is also based on market demand. like how 128GB didn't make it to SG. :D

PongRareRare

Reaction score
Too bad there won't be fingerprint scanner underneath screen. That would be mind blowing as iphone face Id is still not as reliable as fingerprint :o

Frankly, I don't find facial recognition satki at all. It's a waste of time to raise the phone up to my face just to unlock it.

Let's see what s9 can offer since the design should be 95% similar and only cutting away more bezel...

Why do u think Face ID is less reliable? I do agree it's more troublesome since Face ID have its limitation of that camera angle which requires u to lift up ur phone.

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why do u think Face ID is less reliable? I do agree it's more troublesome since Face ID have its limitation of that camera angle which requires u to lift up ur phone.

with the fingerprint sensor behind.. you also have to lift up your phone.. i actually prefer samsung to improve their face id.. better for drivers also

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Face ID is a registered trademark of Apple, cannot anyhow use on Samsung threads leh. Samsung calls it facial recognition. :D

Be it facial recognition, iris scanning and fingerprint technology, all will have it flaws independently when used. But if you combine 2 or more together, it will become much less flawless.

In high security areas, they employ 3 security authentication such as fingerprint, iris scanning and facial recognition. Does your phone require such high security? :D

As Long as s9 possesses a better iris scanning, facial recognition or fingerprint technology comparing to the predecessors, it will be good enough. Of cos, pricing must also be on the same level of performance boost.

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the main problem with facial recognition/face ID/iris scanning is the angle required. I would use it if the allowable angle is super wide (almost 180 degrees kind of wide; no lifting/angling of phone required). As long as I need to angle the phone at a particular angle to unlock, this method becomes much less useful, regardless of how sensitive or quick it is.

The problem with fingerprint scanner is the location of the scanner. If it's placed at the back, you have to lift the phone to use it as some have noted. A far superior placement would be either at the side power button (Sony style) or on the front beneath the screen. The latter is one of the best solutions, pity that it might not come to the S9/S9+ (fingers crossed).

An alternative is to fall back on "smartlock" which keeps the phone unlocked when you have a pre-authorised Bluetooth device nearby (eg: Gear smartwatch). But that means of course that you have to have such a device and to have it on you.

Sent from Samsung SM-T825Y using GAGT

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Face ID is a registered trademark of Apple, cannot anyhow use on Samsung threads leh. Samsung calls it facial recognition. :D

Be it facial recognition, iris scanning and fingerprint technology, all will have it flaws independently when used. But if you combine 2 or more together, it will become much less flawless.

In high security areas, they employ 3 security authentication such as fingerprint, iris scanning and facial recognition. Does your phone require such high security? :D

As Long as s9 possesses a better iris scanning, facial recognition or fingerprint technology comparing to the predecessors, it will be good enough. Of cos, pricing must also be on the same level of performance boost.

Bro... 'But if you combine 2 or more together, it will become much less flawless.' - you might want to rewrite this... ha ha... I think you meant 'less flaws'... or something to that effect...

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the main problem with facial recognition/face ID/iris scanning is the angle required. I would use it if the allowable angle is super wide (almost 180 degrees kind of wide; no lifting/angling of phone required). As long as I need to angle the phone at a particular angle to unlock, this method becomes much less useful, regardless of how sensitive or quick it is.

The problem with fingerprint scanner is the location of the scanner. If it's placed at the back, you have to lift the phone to use it as some have noted. A far superior placement would be either at the side power button (Sony style) or on the front beneath the screen. The latter is one of the best solutions, pity that it might not come to the S9/S9+ (fingers crossed).

An alternative is to fall back on "smartlock" which keeps the phone unlocked when you have a pre-authorised Bluetooth device nearby (eg: Gear smartwatch). But that means of course that you have to have such a device and to have it on you.

Sent from Samsung SM-T825Y using GAGT

An excessively wide angle for the facial recognition method would defeat the security Apple purports... the phone will unlock at the slightest glance at the screen... I think while this Facial ID was a wow... practically speaking most users aren't really using it much cos it's both awkward and troublesome to use... not so much a fingerprint unlock... which is secure enough... after all... how many of us keep top secret world changing info in our phones?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro... 'But if you combine 2 or more together, it will become much less flawless.' - you might want to rewrite this... ha ha... I think you meant 'less flaws'... or something to that effect...

“Much more flawless” I mean.. LOL. Shall leave it as it is. :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.