Creepy places to visit in Japan?

Charlotto

Reaction score
Hi all, I will be visiting Japan in May and am wondering if there are any great places to visit?Basic, unual places like Skytree, Mt Fuji, USJ, etc, don't appeal to me as much as hidden, abandoned or creepy places do.

Abandoned themeparks seem to all have been demolished or are in the process of demolition :c Abandoned schools and mansions too.

Any other recommendations?

Last edited:

Spintronics

Reaction score
Definitely need to go camping at Aokigahara forest. If you're lucky/unlucky can encounter skeletons or suicide notes.

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
have you consider respecting the local law when you think of doing this?

Wood41

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
青山靈園 :s47: :angel: :eek:
93YVZGU.jpg

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Other than the obvious gunkanjima and perhaps inujima for the refinery art project, there are plenty of old schools that are preserved around Japan. I have visited the old primary schools used for K-On! and Chuunibyou. But there are plenty all over Japan.

I would avoid hardcore haikyos if I am a tourist. Going into many of these rotting places is a health and safety risk and I am sure your insurance won't cover it.

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went aokigahara
It is a normal hiking trail

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

itsamistake

Reaction score
You can try to wander uptown Tokyo and randomly explore new places lah.

I tried to follow the walk mentioned in Murakami's Norwegian Wood, strolling from Yotsuya to Komagome, and there's many secret shrines and nice spots along the way. There's even a cemetery with some very old graves although it's smacked in the middle of all those standalone private houses.

To up the creepy factor, :s22: go climb takao mountain at night lah

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can try to wander uptown Tokyo and randomly explore new places lah.

I tried to follow the walk mentioned in Murakami's Norwegian Wood, strolling from Yotsuya to Komagome, and there's many secret shrines and nice spots along the way. There's even a cemetery with some very old graves although it's smacked in the middle of all those standalone private houses.

To up the creepy factor, :s22: go climb takao mountain at night lah

i like his novels!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.