Notes Taking app

Preferred Notes Taking Apps

• Total voters

nicepal

Reaction score
Oh cool so it’s only display as square box and not in a list like in iOS notes and notability
Too bad the but square take up lot of space

Oh from spotlight not really supported unlike evenote and iOS notes and notability

Yep it will show you like mini thumbnails...those viewing photos in windows explorer.

can't search.. Thus if really need to search for some stuff, not so convenient... ;( guess I should have purchase notability instead... But for GoodNotes, I like it as it is view as pages, when set as A4, the whole page is A4 instead of endless scroll.

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh too bad guess notability and iOS note and Evernote is better over good Note

Yep it will show you like mini thumbnails...those viewing photos in windows explorer.

can't search.. Thus if really need to search for some stuff, not so convenient... ;( guess I should have purchase notability instead... But for GoodNotes, I like it as it is view as pages, when set as A4, the whole page is A4 instead of endless scroll.

nicepal

Reaction score
Oh too bad guess notability and iOS note and Evernote is better over good Note

;(

iOS good for text notes. I mostly keep my text base notes... or online movie url... etc....

Then scribble notes for other stuff..
Guess have to invest S$14+ for notability liao... buy apps got refund?? Lol...

supertramp

Reaction score
Notability is extremely useful if you are going for conference/meetings. Can do audio recording and playback which is time synchronized with your notes.

nicepal

Reaction score
Notability is extremely useful if you are going for conference/meetings. Can do audio recording and playback which is time synchronized with your notes.

Sound good if does need audio rcording.

Just to check as I understand that notability’s paper is those scroll endless type? Or is it able to set it will show a line when is at A4 size? Because I may print those notes out to A4 and don’t like knows get chop off only when at printing.

nicepal

Reaction score
Just to check as I understand that notability’s paper is those scroll endless type? Or is it able to set it will show a line when is at A4 size? Because I may print those notes out to A4 and don’t like knows get chop off only when at printing.

lemonchan

Reaction score
Prefer OneNote...but however, i not going to vote for it, cos it lacks important table features (specfically merge and split cells), which many users has been requesting for.

lifeinmono

Reaction score
Personally I'm using notability to import pdf and write notes on slides, and tutorials too.

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT

nicepal

Reaction score
guess till date, diff notes app has their different features.... so depends on individuals....

Knightoftheblackrose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need advice from people who have actually used it.

I finally decided to switch from using traditional notebooks to ipad + Apple pencil .

Which combination works well?

I just want to jot down handwritten notes ., and preserve them in electronic format .

I am currently leaning towards the use of the iPad mini ( smallest size for maximum portability) + Apple Pencil .

tec_geek

Reaction score
Need advice from people who have actually used it.

I finally decided to switch from using traditional notebooks to ipad + Apple pencil .

Which combination works well?

I just want to jot down handwritten notes ., and preserve them in electronic format .

I am currently leaning towards the use of the iPad mini ( smallest size for maximum portability) + Apple Pencil .

I’m using Notability!

Notability by Ginger Labs
https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8

tec_geek

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation!

In terms of hardware , is Apple Pencil 1 ok ?

Or should I go for the smaller IPad Pro with Pencil 2 ?

Apple Pencil 1 will work just fine.

With the Apple Pencil 2, the erasing part becomes more convienent, where you can double tap on it and it is in ‘eraser mode’ and double tap again, it reverts back to ‘Pencil mode’. Comes in handy when you need to quickly jot down notes, especially if the lecturer is going through the content in a fast pace.

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really depends on what you want. I tried OneNote as it can sync with my PC which has Office 2019 OneNote as well but the writing experience not as smooth compared with GoodNotes 5. Also annoying stuff like even drawing a line is damn difficult with OneNote.. gave up after a while.

Been using Goodnotes 5 extensively over the last week at a meeting. Found that it works very well... imported PDFs from the meeting pre-reads that I could easilly annotate and most of all I like that it's in pages, much like a real notebook. And yes, after spending over a thousand on an iPad, don't understand why some people hesitate so much over a $10 app to make full use of the functionality?

lemonchan

Reaction score
Here are the weaknesses (from my perspective) of each note taking software listed below, which I observe.

1) OneNote - Table functionalities wise- Cannot merge/split column and row.
2) Evernote - No format painter. Use tag for organization (i actually prefer folder-file kind of organization).
3) Excel - No multiple level of nesting. That is, it has multiple tabs (known as worksheet), which is good, but I hope to have tabs within a tab.

When looking for note taking software, i always look for
1) Table functionalities (esp merge/split column or row)
2) Format Painter
3) Cross platform (desktop, web, mobile support)
4) Multiple level of nesting (like onenote) or folder-file like structure

The one which I looking now is NIMBUS. It is currently missing point 1. but i heard in April, NIMBUS will be updated to include point 1.

Last edited:

runforyourlife

Reaction score

Sorry how does this work? Audio recording will translate into words Ma?

lemonchan

Reaction score
One very good note taking software is NOTION. It uses block system (different from traditional method) to make note. Feel free to go their website to take a look. The free plan has restriction.

For paid subscription plan, u might want to use my referral link to sign up (PM me for the link). Once sign up with the referral link, the NOTION will give u $10 free credit, which u can use it to pay for your paid plan. Thereafter, u will also discover there are other ways to earn free credit too. Use them to pay for your subscription!!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.