Pet food (Dog Owners PLEASE READ)

Mummtaz

Reaction score
I am looking for dog food that is good quality but economical. I know, it's not an easy task. I want to give my dog the best I can afford. So far, these are the brands I have shortlisted:

Nutragold - cheapest
Wellness - a bit on the high side of my budget
Taste of the Wild - a bit too expensive

Can anyone recommend anything else? It would be greatly appreciated! :)

Try Cooking them yourselves.
Dried food; if you check their ingredients at the back you'll realise the meats are not specific. They are mashed meat. It could be anything

And cooking is much way cheaper.

obliviousbunny

Reaction score
Not true that the meats are mashed meat for dried food. High quality pet food have their ingredients listed out, such as deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal (quoting merrick grain free chicken & sweet potato) If the ingredients put meat meal, it's a sure sign to avoid buying.

If you are feeding home cooked only, got to give supplements as even wholesome, fresh ingredients can come low for various vitamins and minerals.

Try Cooking them yourselves.
Dried food; if you check their ingredients at the back you'll realise the meats are not specific. They are mashed meat. It could be anything

And cooking is much way cheaper.

feelingdown

Reaction score
I am looking for dog food that is good quality but economical. I know, it's not an easy task. I want to give my dog the best I can afford. So far, these are the brands I have shortlisted:

Nutragold - cheapest

My golden retriever is currently feeding on Wellness but i also heard good stuff ( price and ingredient wise) about Nurture Pro, so i will probably give it a try as well.

archcherub

Reaction score
my wife has a dog and cat.

we used to balance between raw diet and dry food for our dog
raw diet, i do chicken, chicken wing tips, chicken hearts, and treats of beef slices or mutton.

for commercial food, we do science diet.
as it is heavy, we tend to order from Science diet pet food

delivery saves us the trouble of carrying it ourselves.

for raw chicken, i buy whole frozen chicken from Giant whenever there is sales.
and chicken wing tip, buy from wet market, as well as the slices of beef and sometimes pig organs like kidney

archcherub

Reaction score
My golden retriever is currently feeding on Wellness but i also heard good stuff ( price and ingredient wise) about Nurture Pro, so i will probably give it a try as well.

i heard a lot of good reviews abt Wellness too

whyeeyore

Reaction score
Hill Prescription diet has been heavily criticized for many years by many online pets websites/articles as being nutritionally deficient.

I doubt so. My pet dog ate that for a year and has since grown much heavier, healthier from the time that she fall ill from Avocaderm kibbles. Alternatively, royal canine prescription diet works as well for dogs with sensitive stomach!

eisrad_11

Reaction score
I doubt so. My pet dog ate that for a year and has since grown much heavier, healthier from the time that she fall ill from Avocaderm kibbles. Alternatively, royal canine prescription diet works as well for dogs with sensitive stomach!

mine was also on hill's and everything seems to be good. yearly checks came back good and very active with good appetite since I changed from nutro.

ping2

Reaction score
Any thoughts on k9 lamb / beef freeze dried food for my 3 years old toy poodle? Which is a better option?

Erikaleeee

Reaction score
Any thoughts on k9 lamb / beef freeze dried food for my 3 years old toy poodle? Which is a better option?

hi there,you can try dog dry food meant for small breed since poodle is generally a small breed. my 2 years old chihuahua eats this dog dry food for adult small/toy breed from science diet starting from 1 year old. not sure if its really good but she always finish them compared to the other brands i tried feeding. lol!

babyrobo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my friend's poodle is on fish4dogs. they also cook her homecooked food with a mixed of brown rice, salmon, mixed peas, carrot and corn.

babyrobo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Nutragold - cheapest

I have been feeding nuture pro salmon for years and it is pretty good, fish4dogs is also decent but more expensive

sparhawk699

Reaction score
I have been feeding nuture pro salmon for years and it is pretty good, fish4dogs is also decent but more expensive

There is a new premium pet food that is coming to Singapore next month or so, received a marketing email from the distributor. Brand is Nutram

Extract from the email:

Nutram Delivers Natural, Holistic Recipes to Pets

Introducing Nutram, a 100% Canadian, family-owned pet wellness company with a holistic approach to pet nutrition.

Nutram’s team of in-house Certified Nutritionists and Holistic Experts craft each recipe to maximize nutrient absorption. Through sound scientific principles and natural ingredients, your pet will receive all of the benefits of each ingredient, as nature intended.

The secret to Nutram’s very unique approach is in their Optimum Combinations™. Utilizing holistic discipline to support each individual ingredient selection, Nutram carefully thought out each ingredient and paired them strategically, and in a truly holistic way to amplify the various benefits of every ingredient in the food. Nutram diets are highly digestible, allowing pets to absorb more essential nutrients, and recipes are tailored and available in three specific categories:

Nutram Sound Balanced Wellness® offers natural and holistic recipes that are crafted and cooked specifically for everyday wellness, catered to each stage of life
Nutram Ideal Solution Support® offers a natural and holistic solution for special pet wellness needs, such as sensitivities, weight control and indoor lifestyle
Nutram Total Grain-Free® provides pets with all the benefits of Nutram recipes, but in a grain-free solution

Nutram recipes are naturally preserved and are prepared with low glycemic ingredients.

Some say you are what you eat. We believe you are what you ABSORB. Holistic Nutritionists accept that most issues start in the gut. By crafting each recipe with sound scientific principles and natural ingredients, each recipe caters to supporting pet wellness from the inside-out, starting with the gut.

By supporting the gut, the body allows for optimum nutrient absorption, which means your pet will receive all of the benefits of each ingredient, as nature intended.

Trusted in over 30 countries worldwide, Nutram recipes represent the finest Canadian quality through many decades of pet nutrition excellence. For more information, visit nutram.com

Distributor in Singapore:
Polygen Asia Pte Ltd. website: www.polygenasia.com facebook: PolygenAsia

nlfitness

Reaction score
My schnauzer-mix dog is currently eating Cesar's wet food (usually fish, lamb or beef) and Burp's salmon-lamb dry food. We give him both wet and dry food in one meal with some brown rice. The prices for the food are reasonable.

jackreacher8

Reaction score
My schnauzer-mix dog is currently eating Cesar's wet food (usually fish, lamb or beef) and Burp's salmon-lamb dry food. We give him both wet and dry food in one meal with some brown rice. The prices for the food are reasonable.

i feed my dog burp's one as well, he seems to enjoy it

wangker

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have two dogs and had recently switched to feeding them raw diet. Got some Big Dog BARF but they don't seem to like it and my freezer is filled with the patties. It's also very troublesome to scoop out the appropriate portion every meals for them too.

Just couple days back, a friend introduced this provider - BOM BOM to me. It appears that they customize every meal portion according to my dog so that I can just open and feed. And, they do weekly delivery so that I don't fill up my freezer space.

Anybody tried them? Any feedback please?

nderapy

Reaction score
But is eating all the time the same food good? Probably some chemicals to stop the hair fall, etc etc.
Not saying is not good, but cannot be the best for every dog out there.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.