Understanding speed test

u0206397

Reaction score
I am doing some casual speed test on my 300 Mbps fibre home broadband.

By right I should be testing using wired connection, but a bit too lazy, so did it over 802.11n Wi-fi connection (150 mbps) from my desktop PC and also a laptop.

The results from Ookla (speedtest.net) and Singapore Broadband Speed Test (www.speedtest.com.sg) are consistently 20+ Mbps (download) and 30+ Mbps (upload).

Q1: I wonder if the result (in Mbps) is in megabytes per second or megabits per second?

Currently, my Wifi is probably connected on 2.4Ghz band, so it is reporting a speed of 72 Mbps instead of 150 Mbps that 802.11n can hit. And the result (20+ Mbps - 30 Mbps) is less than even half of the reported 72 Mbps speed of my Wi-fi adapter.

I am guessing testing via a Wi-Fi connection, it can't hit 300 Mbps because it will be constrained by the 802.11n (150 Mbps) adapter. Accounting for the 2.4Ghz band, this further limits the speed to 72 Mbps.

However, the actual tests can't even saturate the 72 Mbps limit.

Q2: I am trying to understand the numbers and results. Any expert can comment on whether my situation is normal? :s11:

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score

By right I should be testing using wired connection, but a bit too lazy, so did it over 802.11n Wi-fi connection (150 mbps) from my desktop PC and also a laptop.

The results from Ookla (speedtest.net) and Singapore Broadband Speed Test (www.speedtest.com.sg) are consistently 20+ Mbps (download) and 30+ Mbps (upload).

Q1: I wonder if the result (in Mbps) is in megabytes per second or megabits per second?
It is in Mbps.
To convert to Megabytes per second divide that number by 8.
Currently, my Wifi is probably connected on 2.4Ghz band, so it is reporting a speed of 72 Mbps instead of 150 Mbps that 802.11n can hit. And the result (20+ Mbps - 30 Mbps) is less than even half of the reported 72 Mbps speed of my Wi-fi adapter.

I am guessing testing via a Wi-Fi connection, it can't hit 300 Mbps because it will be constrained by the 802.11n (150 Mbps) adapter. Accounting for the 2.4Ghz band, this further limits the speed to 72 Mbps.

Q2: I am trying to understand the numbers and results. Any expert can comment on whether my situation is normal? :s11:
Normal.
When your Link Rate is 150Mbps practically the maximum achievable throughput is 150Mbps/2 at very close range. When distance increase this drops further.
Your actual yield also depends on the Router SoC, firmware quality and your Laptop Adapter Wifi Module SoC + Driver

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
2.4ghz N wifi can get you 60mbps with a decent connection.
5ghz N wifi goes 100-110mbps.
5ghz ac goes above 300mbps

2.4GHZ can actually get me 100+Mbps on HT Mode.
But mine is special optimized case so most of you guys will just get 60Mbps :s13:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2.4ghz N wifi can get you 60mbps with a decent connection.
5ghz N wifi goes 100-110mbps.
5ghz ac goes above 300mbps
Do the speedtest by selecting your ISP as server.
This is due to your gateway to internet will pass thru your ISP.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Your speed is limited by your wifi speed limit. If you use a AC wifi adaptor or Cat.5e LAN cable then you should be able to get your full 300Mbps.

u0206397

Reaction score
Your speed is limited by your wifi speed limit. If you use a AC wifi adaptor or Cat.5e LAN cable then you should be able to get your full 300Mbps.

Actually I am trying to understand the speed limit.

• My full speed from ISP is 300 Mbps.
  • My laptop and desktop PC using different 802.11n wireless card/adapter that can reach 150 Mbps (reportedly).
  • I didn't force 5GHz only, and it is on band steering with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on. I am guessing somehow my wireless connection tends to lock onto the 2.4GHz that imposes a 72 Mbps limit. So I further guess perhaps I am able to reach near 72 Mbps if that's the bottleneck.
  • In reality, the results came out only 20+ to 30+ Mbps, not even near 72 Mbps connection limit.

That's why I am concerned.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

• My laptop and desktop PC using different 802.11n wireless card/adapter that can reach 150 Mbps (reportedly).
  • I didn't force 5GHz only, and it is on band steering with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on. I am guessing somehow my wireless connection tends to lock onto the 2.4GHz that imposes a 72 Mbps limit. So I further guess perhaps I am able to reach near 72 Mbps if that's the bottleneck.
  • In reality, the results came out only 20+ to 30+ Mbps, not even near 72 Mbps connection limit.

The basic.
5GHz is best a short &or direct line in sight to wireless router.

Whereas 2.4GHz will takeover the rest.
Walls will affect the actual connection speed.
Other interference may also affect wireless signal.
As electronic equipment such as cordless phone, etc; are using 2.4GHz band as well.

So in theory yours devices could be using 2.4GHz band all the time.
And low speed due to interference.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It is normal and nothing wrong. If you want to improve the speed, just get a USB 3.0 Dual Band AC wifi adaptor like ASUS USB-AC68. Going for AC wifi is a must to enhance your speed. The adaptor is quite cheap.

See this:

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/details/cat-11_Archer-T9UH.html

https://www.asus.com/sg/Networking/Wireless-Adapters-Products/

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score

the "reported" speed is just the link speed. actual transfer speeds depend on your router and the exact wifi card.
if your laptop has a 7260 or 8265, it will easily reach 300mbps connected to a appropriately fast router.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the "reported" speed is just the link speed. actual transfer speeds depend on your router and the exact wifi card.
if your laptop has a 7260 or 8265, it will easily reach 300mbps connected to a appropriately fast router.

True la. If notebook wifi card is too old model then alternatively get a usb AC wifi adapter to do the job. In most cases, it will work too. Nothing wrong about it.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2.4GHZ can actually get me 100+Mbps on HT Mode.
But mine is special optimized case so most of you guys will just get 60Mbps :s13:

My best 2.4G wireless speed is about ~130 Mbps.

Router = Asus AC68U
Wireless Adapter = Intel AC7260

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

72mbps is the defined as the link rate between router and wireless device. In what you gave, i suppose your wireless-N card supports only 1x1 and that to achieve 150mbps, it should also support 5Ghz wireless N as well.

Have you tried 5Ghz?

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some old laptop only has 2.4GHz wifi and even have 5Ghz also will not get > 100 Mbps. Better get a AC adapter and it should provide ~ 300Mbps. It is quite cheap too. It is available in many shops. Going for AC adapter is the only choice to enhance his speed.

Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well TS, those speed indicating are all theoretical speed but den again there are factors which affects the wifi speed and thus u comes to a actual/reality speed that ur client devices are capable of.

and if your client device wifi aint that powerful, no matter how much is the reported speed is, u still be slow down by the component limits.

I would say that so long your connection and speed does not drop to 5mbps in current context, u can be happy about it.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well TS, those speed indicating are all theoretical speed but den again there are factors which affects the wifi speed and thus u comes to a actual/reality speed that ur client devices are capable of.

and if your client device wifi aint that powerful, no matter how much is the reported speed is, u still be slow down by the component limits.

I would say that so long your connection and speed does not drop to 5mbps in current context, u can be happy about it.

In such case, sometime may drop to ~ 10 mbps. Upgrading the client device is the solution.

u0206397

Reaction score
72mbps is the defined as the link rate between router and wireless device. In what you gave, i suppose your wireless-N card supports only 1x1 and that to achieve 150mbps, it should also support 5Ghz wireless N as well.

Have you tried 5Ghz?

I have both 5GHz and 2.4GHz enabled in my wireless router.

But my PC, laptop and mobile phone always default to 2.4GHz for some reason. I haven't tweak further to force a 5GHz connection.

I am fine with the current speed since my Youtube is not halting and breaking. Just curious to know where the bottlenecks are that are keeping me stuck at 20+ Mbps.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.