New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Please refer to this thread,
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/single-lan-cable-network-trunk-setup-without-loop-back-lan-wire-db-5749611.html
I setup Dual Managed Switch (TPLink SG108E) to validate the SINGLE LAN Cable bridging system.
It is working very well.

1.Main Router is deployed at Living Hall to maximize the Wifi coverage
2. Singtel Router can be bypassed, IPTV can be at Another area rather than close to ISP provided router.

26172356_1615410415193060_7850651826501658736_o.jpg

Last edited:

sportyant

Reaction score
Q:From the wan port router can i connect it to bedroom 2 or 3 to set up another AP?

A: yes, there are 4 lan port, one is used, you can use the other 3 to set up another few APs. If you need more, you can connect a simple unmanaged switch to one of the lan ports.

Q: For the managed switch do i need to manually set Vlan for the IPTV and Wifi?

A: Easysmart switch is very easy to configure. There is a mode to set up vlan based on physical port. As shown in the diagram, port 1 is used for the trunk between 2 switches, port 2 is for IPTV, port 3 is for internet data.

It is cheap too, less than $100 for a pair of them.

Thanks for reply.

Happy New Year!

sportyant

Reaction score
Please refer to this thread,
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/internet-bandwidth-networking-clinic-4/single-lan-cable-network-trunk-setup-without-loop-back-lan-wire-db-5749611.html
I setup Dual Managed Switch (TPLink SG108E) to validate the SINGLE LAN Cable bridging system.
It is working very well.

1.Main Router is deployed at Living Hall to maximize the Wifi coverage
2. Singtel Router can be bypassed, IPTV can be at Another area rather than close to ISP provided router.

26172356_1615410415193060_7850651826501658736_o.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

Happy New Year!.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

sportyant

Reaction score
Q:From the wan port router can i connect it to bedroom 2 or 3 to set up another AP?

A: yes, there are 4 lan port, one is used, you can use the other 3 to set up another few APs. If you need more, you can connect a simple unmanaged switch to one of the lan ports.

Q: For the managed switch do i need to manually set Vlan for the IPTV and Wifi?

A: Easysmart switch is very easy to configure. There is a mode to set up vlan based on physical port. As shown in the diagram, port 1 is used for the trunk between 2 switches, port 2 is for IPTV, port 3 is for internet data.

It is cheap too, less than $100 for a pair of them.

Thanks & Happy 2018.

Would it be possible if i do something like below using three switch?

Slide1.jpg

diediex

Reaction score
Hi all, will be collecting bto keys soon.

For networking, I wish to place wireless access point at the living room TV console + another wireless access point at MBR.

They will be hard wired daisy chained with the living room being the primary channel.

What is the best way to achieve this configuration?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For networking, I wish to place wireless access point at the living room TV console + another wireless access point at MBR.

They will be hard wired daisy chained with the living room being the primary channel.

Which ISP and routers model.
Which type of bto HDB, 3 / 4 /5 rms.
TV box is which type.
More details so as all can advice.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
To make things easy and flexible, lay at least one more LAN cable from your living hall to DB , try to lay 2 for redundancy backup, since laying on the same location, you can negotiate to pay lower .I paid $200 for 2 more lines back to DB, try doing it together with your renovation to conceal the LAN cables properly.

doing above will help to materialize your setup. The recommendation is ISP agnostic design.

ONT ->main router ->LAN back to DB ->patch cord to MBR ->MBR AP
You don't even need a switch.

I used to run above setup, no switch at DB since my activity area is living hall and MBR.

diediex

Reaction score
Which ISP and routers model.
Which type of bto HDB, 3 / 4 /5 rms.
TV box is which type.
More details so as all can advice.

ISP : Starhub
Router : 2 nos. of ea7500 max-stream ac1900
TV box : Starhub TV box
5 Rm bto

To make things easy and flexible, lay at least one more LAN cable from your living hall to DB , try to lay 2 for redundancy backup, since laying on the same location, you can negotiate to pay lower .I paid $200 for 2 more lines back to DB, try doing it together with your renovation to conceal the LAN cables properly.

doing above will help to materialize your setup. The recommendation is ISP agnostic design.

ONT ->main router ->LAN back to DB ->patch cord to MBR ->MBR AP
You don't even need a switch.

I used to run above setup, no switch at DB since my activity area is living hall and MBR.

Thnx for the explanations. I have a few questions ..

1) For redundancy, do you mean to have 3 conceal lan cables to living room?
Also adding points means I have to change the face plate of the data points in the DB right? (currently is 4 connection points i think)

2) I read your diagram a few post above. Is the managed switching trying to achieve the same effect without adding addition lan points?

3) If i set up the primary router inside the DB, ie. wireless access point inside the DB box, it would save the trouble of laying new lan cables, but would the wireless signal be severely affected?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
5 Rm bto

Also adding points means I have to change the face plate of the data points in the DB right? (currently is 4 connection points i think)

2) I read your diagram a few post above. Is the managed switching trying to achieve the same effect without adding addition lan points?

3) If i set up the primary router inside the DB, ie. wireless access point inside the DB box, it would save the trouble of laying new lan cables, but would the wireless signal be severely affected?
1) Do confirm if there are 4 data points to living & bed rooms in the db box.
Me bto HDB is in 2013 and only 1 data point for living room.

2) Basically this is for Starhub IPTV as required managed switch at both end of data points.
I had included a link to someone who had done this before.
Do consider overall cost on managed switch & settings Vs trucking LAN cables & data points.
It is different from Singtel Mio tv setup.

3) Router inside will affect wireless signal.
Me put the router outside the db box as both TP & ONT are also outside near db box.

HMAN could advice you better.

Last edited:

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score

Basically adding at least 2 more since you already have one LAN point prepared by HDB. Can mount one more faceplate, no big deal, very simple job , get a paid service to do it nicely.

Unless your dB area is running out of space.

You need to have 2 managed switch to do the SINGLE LAN trunking to move all LAN traffics. This is useful for those that already done renovation and don't want to lay more cables to spoil the house ID

I do not recommend VLAN to users whom are not familiar with basic network stuff, to save you trouble.

3) If i set up the primary router inside the DB, ie. wireless access point inside the DB box, it would save the trouble of laying new lan cables, but would the wireless signal be severely affected?[because it needs some skill to configure

Putting wireless Router at DB will impact wireless coverage unless it is near living hall .
Your IPTV will need to use one LAN point..
Your smart TV, streaming box all need Internet. LAN connections still have the most stable connection.

As such putting router to TV console is essential unless you just want starhub contents.

5 Rm bto

Last edited:

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Say there is no way to install a LAN cable at the TV area, would it be possible to install a router configured as a media bridge, set up VLANs and be able to access IPTV?

ONT Wan --> Router Wan --> Managed Switch. Switch is connected to various LAN points and Access Points.
ONT IPTV Port --> Managed Switch --> Access Point (and via dedicated SSID with VLAN Set up, connect to) --> Media Bridge (Router) --> IPTV (via router port 2).

Is this technically feasible or it is necessary for a hard wire connection? Am trying to avoid using Powerline Adaptors...

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Say there is no way to install a LAN cable at the TV area, would it be possible to install a router configured as a media bridge, set up VLANs and be able to access IPTV?

ONT Wan --> Router Wan --> Managed Switch. Switch is connected to various LAN points and Access Points.
ONT IPTV Port --> Managed Switch --> Access Point (and via dedicated SSID with VLAN Set up, connect to) --> Media Bridge (Router) --> IPTV (via router port 2).

Is this technically feasible or it is necessary for a hard wire connection? Am trying to avoid using Powerline Adaptors...

If I read it correctly, you are trying to set up a wireless link bewteen ONT and the starhub box, by using an access point at DB and media bridge (or wifi client) at the starhub box.

If this is what you want to do, don't need to talk about vlan, it is a dedicated lan by itself.

It should work, but more expensive. The other option is a pair of managed switches, it is harder to configure, however, you can get the easy smart series from tp-link which can do the settings for you by just turning on the MTU VLAN option.

For the 1st part of your post:
ONT Wan --> Router Wan --> Managed Switch. Switch is connected to various LAN points and Access Points

It is not necessary to use managed switch, a simple dumb unmanaged switch will do a better job.

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For Starhub IPTV will not work..period.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Explanation.

Starhub IPTV cannot transmit via router.

Managed Switch (certain models only) need to be in front of both IPTV & Router.
There need to have a physical link and 2 managed switch are required as each on each end of the cable link.

ONT Port 1 & 2 wired to 1st managed switch.
1st managed switch connect to 2nd managed switch via lan cable.
2nd managed switch out to IPTV & Router.

ONT Ports 1 (internet) & 2 (IPTV) --- 1st managed switch ------ 2nd managed switch --- Router | IPTV.

For Singtel may be possible in your case on setup.
But do note on other issues.

Last edited:

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
If I read it correctly, you are trying to set up a wireless link bewteen ONT and the starhub box, by using an access point at DB and media bridge (or wifi client) at the starhub box.

If this is what you want to do, don't need to talk about vlan, it is a dedicated lan by itself.

It should work, but more expensive. The other option is a pair of managed switches, it is harder to configure, however, you can get the easy smart series from tp-link which can do the settings for you by just turning on the MTU VLAN option.

For the 1st part of your post:
ONT Wan --> Router Wan --> Managed Switch. Switch is connected to various LAN points and Access Points

It is not necessary to use managed switch, a simple dumb unmanaged switch will do a better job.

This is correct. I am unable to pull an Ethernet cable to where the TV is located. As such, I won't be able to go with the dual switch configuration.

On the managed switch, I already have one. A cheap HP set which I used to set up link aggregation for my NAS.

Seems like that last resort is home plug...

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Explanation.

Starhub IPTV cannot transmit via router.

Managed Switch (certain models only) need to be in front of both IPTV & Router.
There need to have a physical link and 2 managed switch are required as each on each end of the cable link.

ONT Port 1 & 2 wired to 1st managed switch.
1st managed switch connect to 2nd managed switch via lan cable.
2nd managed switch out to IPTV & Router.

ONT Ports 1 (internet) & 2 (IPTV) --- 1st managed switch ------ 2nd managed switch --- Router | IPTV.

For Singtel may be possible in your case on setup.
But do note on other issues.

Thanks for sharing. I cannot pull a Ethernet cable to the TV area so I can't adopt this setup.

Last resort would be home plugs and those devices are rather finicky in performance.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.