Transportation help

fxsgsc

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning for a 9D8N family trip to taiwan next Oct, with wife, our 4yrs old and my parent. Plus not confirm maybe two more relatives.

Our concern is transportation. Apart for 2 days within Taipei, what's the best way to travel outside?

1) It's worth to hire private driver to get us around for the entire 7days (minus Taipei)? If yes, roughly how much?

2) Or better to enquire with local agency for accommodation + transport.

3) If decide to go for mix public transport + cab/private, then on selective days, possible for cab/driver to drive us just one way, like said Taipei to Miaoli?

Any recommendations is much appreciated.
Thks

Charlieliu

Reaction score
I just came back from a 10D9N Taiwan trip (4D in Taipei, 3 days in Taichung & Cinjing, 3 days in KaoShiung). Have some experience to share with you:

1) It's worth to hire private driver to get us around for the entire 7days (minus Taipei)? If yes, roughly how much?
Charlie: For Taipei and Kaoshiung, you can travel much in MRT. For Taichung (and possibily others), hire private driver will save you time which translate into more places to visit. The driver's quotation usually involve two factors:
a) number of people and luggage: Either a seven seater or 9 seaters. For my family of 5 (include three grownup children) with luggage, a 9 seaters is required.
b) distance travelled. My driver went from Taichung to picked me in Taipei, and travel to TaiChung, visit many places along the way. He quoted me NTD6000. I saw many quote of NTD4000 to 5000 in HRZ, but when I contact the drivers, most quote me above NTD6000 due to number of people and luggage.
I used the driver for 3 days:
Taipei -> Yeh Liu Geo Park -> Hsin Zhu ->TaiChung
TaiChung-> Lu Kang -> Cinjing
Cinjing -> Tainan-> KaoShiung
Along the ways, we went to many places of interested which the drivers recommend or you can request based on your own research/preference.

He price is Add Places, Add Time, No Add Money although I would not want to stretch too much as I will leave him and tour the Nigh Markets which are near my Taichung and Kaoshiund Hotels leisurely.

Due to his long hours with us and good service, I tipped him when we depart.

Charlie: I followed tour group 6 years ago. I did not consider this option this time as I want to try out booking hotel myself and planning my own intineary. I choose those hotel with good ratings and reasonable prices. Transportation will be as above: choose a good driver and discuss with him the places to visit.

3) If decide to go for mix public transport + cab/private, then on selective days, possible for cab/driver to drive us just one way, like said Taipei to Miaoli?
Charlie: In general yes, but must state clearly to the driver as he will have to consider that in his quotation.

I contact my driver through a recommendation in HRZ. He is Wang Chi Chieh (Taichung) +886 917 522 616. I commiunicate with him through Weechat. But I think his uses Line and Whattaspp also. I am not advertising for him, but feel good to share his good services.

You can see my post #1479 at Recommend Cab Driver thread
and post #1423 in the same thread by the bro who recommended him

fxsgsc

Reaction score
I just came back from a 10D9N Taiwan trip (4D in Taipei, 3 days in Taichung & Cinjing, 3 days in KaoShiung). Have some experience to share with you:

Hi Charlieliu, thanks for your advice!

I've some follow-up qns, you mention you engage the private driver for 3 days.

1. Can I ask whether the 3 days is consecutive?
2. Did we have to pay (top-up) for the driver accommodation? I assuming he need to stay somewhere.
3. Does his service include transport within an area/city or only between area/area? For example, you mention Lu Kang. Did he drive you between place of interest within Lu Kang or just drop just at one spot?

Separately, I'm just curious is the traveling tiring to tainan from cingjing?

Charlieliu

Reaction score

2. Did we have to pay (top-up) for the driver accommodation? I assuming he need to stay somewhere.
3. Does his service include transport within an area/city or only between area/area? For example, you mention Lu Kang. Did he drive you between place of interest within Lu Kang or just drop just at one spot?

fxsgsc, my replies which is applicable for Mr Wang's service to me.

Charile: Yes, the 3 days are consecutive which is the middle part of my North to South Taiwan tour. Mr Wang is Taichung based. So I did not explore him for my Taipei and Kaoshiung part. Although I think it may be possible for me to contract him for my last day in Taipei to cover Yeh Liu->Jiufen->Shifen in addition to the 3 days I mentioned, but I did not do so as I wanted to of try the Taiwan local train from Ruifeng to Shifen. That also mean I cannot cover Yeh Liu in the same day. Hence I requested him to bring me to Yeh Liu before moving on to Taichung. The trade off is that some parts in Taichung (Lavander Farm, Shengxin Station) was not covered due to time limitation, which I am ok. (he told me I spent shall have spent one more day in Taichung, haha).

Charlie: This has to be confirmed with the driver during the quotaton (through Weechat, whattsapp, etc). For my case, I do not have to pay his accomodation which is confirmed prior to my departure from Singapore. Mr Wang has the choice of returning to Taichung after dropping me at Cinjing, and travel from Taichung to Cinjing to pick me up the next day. But as he dropped us at the resort quite late, he decided to sleep somewhere and pick me up the next day. He declined my offer for his accommodation.

Charlie: In the three days service, he is our dedicated private driver. There is no need for other form of transportation except our legs which I think applies to all private hire cars. One different I found in Mr Wang's quote is: Add Time, Add Money, no Add Price. Within the day time (more than 8 hours, but I tried not to exceed 10 hours, mostly 9 am to 7 pm when it is very dark in december), he will drive us to any places we want to go (itinery recommended by him, but I can make changes based on my own research). So he drives us within city between places, e.g. in Tainan, he suggested Anping Old Street where there is old port, tree house, old street which are all at the same place. He also suggested another place (Lin Mu Ning Park). But I wanted to visit the Confuscious Temple (Kong Miao). So he drove us to Confuscious Temple, then drove us to Anping Old Street. But I cannot expect him to be a tour guide as he need to take care of the car. So on the way, he told us about the old street, recommend what to buy/eat. He drop us at the old street,give us direction. My family then visited the old street, port and tree house within the area. After we are done, we called him and he would appear within minutes to drive us to the next destination. Different from guided tour, there is no hurrying from him. He will give direction and recommendation. It is up to us to decide how long we want to spent at each place before he drives us to the next place. There is more than enough places to occupy the day time.
In Cinjing Green Green Farmland, he drop us at the entrance (higher hill) and wait for us at the exit (lower hill).
For Lu Kang, all the concentrations were in the Lu Kang Old Street which is next to the temple. There is no issue if we want to visit other areas in Lu Kang. We also visited the 彰化八卦山大佛 before moving on to Cinjing.

The only place that he decline to drive us is to see sun rise at Hehungshan (which is the reason why I stay one night at Cinjing). The reason is that the journery starts at 4 am, so he will be a zombie if he is to drive until 7 pm to KaoShiung. But I have no regret spending NTD400 per pax to take the red bus (book via the minsu) to Hehuangshan. The guides are professionals who stop on one of the moutains to explain the stars, the aborgin villages in the valley, and different vegetation on the mountains, and know exactly when the sun will rise. It is an education tour that I think cab drivers are not able to deliver.

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1.It highly depends.
If I am going from A to B and decides not to take any attractions, i may weigh convenience, time and money for transport before engaging the same driver to drive me to location B.
2. Some drivers will advise top up, some do not.
Those who do not may find it cheap but end of the day, he/she may ask to borrow your washroom for a wash up. It happens from time to time.
Some even will ask you to book the minsu recommended so that they can also rest there in some service room provided.
3. Some drivers will follow, some will just drop and go.

For one to suggest cingjing to Tainan by car...

I as a self-acclaimed expert will not do it with driver, the drive is so far and long.
Can always counter check with google.

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning for a 9D8N family trip to taiwan next Oct, with wife, our 4yrs old and my parent. Plus not confirm maybe two more relatives.

Our concern is transportation. Apart for 2 days within Taipei, what's the best way to travel outside?

Any recommendations is much appreciated.
Thks

If you have so many people travelling, get a nine seater.
With so many old folks, not wise to go on public.
Can afford to travel, go further.
Cannot afford, just stick your fingers around Taipei city.
Furthest is to go Yilan.

fxsgsc

Reaction score
fxsgsc, my replies which is applicable for Mr Wang's service to me.

Charile: Yes, the 3 days are consecutive which is the middle part of my North to South Taiwan tour. Mr Wang is Taichung based. So I did not explore him for my Taipei and Kaoshiung part. Although I think it may be possible for me to contract him for my last day in Taipei to cover Yeh Liu->Jiufen->Shifen in addition to the 3 days I mentioned, but I did not do so as I wanted to of try the Taiwan local train from Ruifeng to Shifen. That also mean I cannot cover Yeh Liu in the same day. Hence I requested him to bring me to Yeh Liu before moving on to Taichung. The trade off is that some parts in Taichung (Lavander Farm, Shengxin Station) was not covered due to time limitation, which I am ok. (he told me I spent shall have spent one more day in Taichung, haha).

Hi Charlieliu, thanks for your responded!

My wife and myself trying to draft our itinerary past few days so as to best make use of private transport arrangement!

fxsgsc

Reaction score
1.It highly depends.
If I am going from A to B and decides not to take any attractions, i may weigh convenience, time and money for transport before engaging the same driver to drive me to location B.
2. Some drivers will advise top up, some do not.
Those who do not may find it cheap but end of the day, he/she may ask to borrow your washroom for a wash up. It happens from time to time.
Some even will ask you to book the minsu recommended so that they can also rest there in some service room provided.
3. Some drivers will follow, some will just drop and go.

For one to suggest cingjing to Tainan by car...

I as a self-acclaimed expert will not do it with driver, the drive is so far and long.
Can always counter check with google.

Hi calkel20, thanks for your advice!

Yes, I trying to plan in such a way where traveling between cities /area wouldn't be more than 2hrs as my wife and children cant take long journey.

I notice from many forums and review a popular route favors by many local
is taichung > cinjing > hualien (via taroko) , unfortunately its not suitable for us so we plan to go back to SML.

Our first draft you think its feasible (next post)?

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi calkel20, thanks for your advice!

Yes, I trying to plan in such a way where traveling between cities /area wouldn't be more than 2hrs as my wife and children cant take long journey.

I notice from many forums and review a popular route favors by many local
is taichung > cinjing > hualien (via taroko) , unfortunately its not suitable for us so we plan to go back to SML.

Our first draft you think its feasible (next post)?

Re post ur draft.
Thanks.

fxsgsc

Reaction score
First draft, (high level) we prefer to spread attraction in exchange for more relax itinerary

D1 > Airport to Yilan > 冬山河 (limit to one or two nearby place of interest) > overnight in Yilan
D2 > 平溪 (nearby place of interest, for example 平溪車站) > 十分 > Taipei overnight
D3 > 2 or 3 place of interest within Taipei > late afternoon > 九份 > Taipei overnight
D4 > place of interest within Taipei > night market
D5 >Taipei hsr > taichung > 高美濕地 (limit to one or two nearby place of interest) > 逢甲夜市
D6 > 東埔 (nearby place of interest) > 清境
D7 > 清境 (nearby place of interest)
D8 > 九族村 > 日月潭 > overnight in 日月潭
D9 > 日月潭 > taichung > HSR > Taipei
D10> Taipei > Airport

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First draft, (high level) we prefer to spread attraction in exchange for more relax itinerary

D1 > Airport to Yilan > 冬山河 (limit to one or two nearby place of interest) > overnight in Yilan
D3 > 2 or 3 place of interest within Taipei > late afternoon > 九份 > Taipei overnight
D5 >Taipei hsr > taichung > 高美濕地 (limit to one or two nearby place of interest) > 逢甲夜市
D10> Taipei > Airport

Looks ok. Will update later when i have more time.
When will it be or still on drawing board?

Honda91

Reaction score
i be heading to TW soon together with my family n parents.
total there is 9 of us too. old and young

i actually rented a 9 seat minivan (self drive)

i find it cheaper to self drive around
save money and time.

to hire a private transport with drive for 9pax is no cheap.
range i think from $400 onward for 8hrs

IMO,if you can drive, consider renting a vehicle and self drive

fxsgsc

Reaction score

save money and time.

Hi Honda91, thanks! Unfortunately, of all us dont know how to drive.

Last edited:

fxsgsc

Reaction score
Looks ok. Will update later when i have more time.
When will it be or still on drawing board?

Sure thanks!
target Oct but might shift to June as two relatives cannot make it outside school holiday (June/Dec).

Charlieliu

Reaction score

D10> Taipei > Airport

I went to Taipei->Taichung recently. I did extensiv research and tweek my program along the way, so I kaypo a bit and give you some feedback:

D3 half day at Jiufen is tough. It takes some time (Easily more than 1 hr 15 mins including waiting time) from TPE to Jiufen and Shifeng separately. However, Jiufen and Shifen are quite easily travell by Bus -> Train. So normally people travel to these two places on the same day. If you do it in D2, you can free up D3 for more places in TapeiThat could free up your time on Taipei which your allocation of 1.5 days is very short.

There are three ways to visit Jiufen/Shifen:

1. Charter a private driver which can cost about NTD 4500 (if you have more 6 people). Advantage is that you can go to more places.
2. Take public transport: Cheaper, but would spent too much time waiting for train/buses.
3. Many people will book the Klook tour minibus which will leave Taipei at 9am, drop and pick you at Jiufen/Shifen and return to Ximenting at 4pm. This will free you from transporation problem.
4. I took a hybrid approach as I would like to stay in Shifen till sunset. A cab took me to Yingyang Sea and Golden Waterfall, then drop me at Jinguashi (NTD1500). The cab driver also act as my family photographer :). Then I took a bus to Jiufen, a bus to Shifen, a cab to Shifen Waterall, then back to Shifen to ensure the scene of glowing sky lattern in the dark blue sky. From there I am back to Taipei Songsan Station by train all the way (with transit at Ruifang). Raohe Night Market is next to Ruifen.

For your D5: Gaomei Wetland is not easily accessible by bus. So assuming you will take your private hired driver. However, transfer at HSR take time and HSR is not cheap. If you can arrange your private driver to pick you up from Taipei, it woud save you time, effort (dont need to pull your luggage) and may be cheaper. The time save can be use to tour the many interesting places in Taichung (e.g. Zhongshe Flower Mart, Carton King, Lavendar Farm) before going to Gaomei to see sunset.

It is also worthwhile to choose a hotel near to Fengjia so that you can spent more time at the night market.

Since you are at Cinjing, it is worthwhile to go to Hehuanshan for sunset or sunrise.

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

save money and time.

400 onwards?
Since when so ex?

Honda91

Reaction score
im not very sure ...
but for a 9 seated 1 day tour ... should be somewhere there i guess ...

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im not very sure ...
but for a 9 seated 1 day tour ... should be somewhere there i guess ...

Not even closed. Also depends on where you are going.
So do not send out wrong msg without checking it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.