Home network setup

fireantz

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm planning the network configuration for my house as below. Can I seek your advise if this setup is ok?

my requirement
- wireless router outside of db box
- use a wired connection if possible (eg. pc, tv and android box)

rw2bd2.jpg

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is fine.
Except router mostly have 4 LAN ports available, unless you add a switch to all data points.

Is just one wireless router to serve the whole premise..

If possible provide ISP, Routers model.
Is TV means non IPTV model.

fireantz

Reaction score
Im going for m1 1gb plan. They will be providing a Asus RT-AC1200G. Intend to use this as the main router to provide wireless connection.

Wired router not decided yet. i was recommended SafeStream Gigabit Broadband VPN Router by tp link. Any other recommendation?

Not sure what you mean by non IPTV model. Im getting Samsung 65MU6100. Going to get minix neo U9-H with IPTV subscription.

-Grift-

Reaction score
Using n56u for my m1 wired setup, looking to go for Edge router

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If your router is outside of db box, then you can opt for ac88u which m1 provides for a top up. It has 8 lan ports.

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Im going for m1 1gb plan. They will be providing a Asus RT-AC1200G. Intend to use this as the main router to provide wireless connection.

Wired router not decided yet. i was recommended SafeStream Gigabit Broadband VPN Router by tp link. Any other recommendation?

Not sure what you mean by non IPTV model. Im getting Samsung 65MU6100. Going to get minix neo U9-H with IPTV subscription.

Why would you go with that wired router?
It has no ipv6 support

It is a VPN firewall router <- if you don't understand you don't need it

From what I read the max throughput will limit the speed you can achieve.

fireantz

Reaction score
If your router is outside of db box, then you can opt for ac88u which m1 provides for a top up. It has 8 lan ports.

Will the range be higher compared to AC 1200? Just checked, the topup is $230

fireantz

Reaction score
Why would you go with that wired router?
It has no ipv6 support

It is a VPN firewall router <- if you don't understand you don't need it

From what I read the max throughput will limit the speed you can achieve.

Duno why I was recommended that. I just need one router in the db to translate ont to data and to all the ports in the patch panel.

Shld I topup to get ac88u to use it as a wireless router and get a 2nd hand wireless router(but disable wireless function) to put in db box

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since the first switch after ONT is switch router, you should configure the wireless router to access point mode, otherwise you have 2 routing devices on same network. Nothing thing with that if you do not need to share files between wired devices and wireless devices.

fireantz

Reaction score
Since the first switch after ONT is switch router, you should configure the wireless router to access point mode, otherwise you have 2 routing devices on same network. Nothing thing with that if you do not need to share files between wired devices and wireless devices.

Probably that's is why I was recommended SafeStream Gigabit Broadband VPN Router that time - wired router. Guess a 2nd hand router will do the job already rite?

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just get an 8 port switch from tplink if you need extra ports, it's $50. No need spend $200+ on that asus router.

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will the range be higher compared to AC 1200? Just checked, the topup is $230
Roughly about the same, max transmission power is regulated by IMDA, and most importantly, you can't beat physics. Your device also has to be able to transmit back to the AP, wireless is a 2 way traffic.

fireantz

Reaction score
Just get an 8 port switch from tplink if you need extra ports, it's $50. No need spend $200+ on that asus router.

My port 1 and port 2 is a distance away and its already too late to conceal cable. So tot of this design.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

IPTV refer to either Singtel or Starhub.
So you are not on both as their IPTV required config.

Do concentrate on the main connection.
As ports 1 & 2 are needed.
How about the other 3 ports.
If only 1 or 2 of other ports are used, no need worry about switch.
As in the end one port may not be in use at all.
So router 4 LAN ports are enough for now.
Any additional can consider later.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Probably that's is why I was recommended SafeStream Gigabit Broadband VPN Router that time - wired router. Guess a 2nd hand router will do the job already rite?
Suggest to understand this SafeStream Gigabit Broadband VPN Router.
It may not be suitable for home use.
Do check the spec carefully.
Go for common router to avoid issues that none can help you.
Especially ISP do not provide tech support on 3rd party router.

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Duno why I was recommended that. I just need one router in the db to translate ont to data and to all the ports in the patch panel.

Shld I topup to get ac88u to use it as a wireless router and get a 2nd hand wireless router(but disable wireless function) to put in db box

nope, the ac88u isn't worth the money.
how many ports do you need for the wired router?

can try this instead https://www.lazada.sg/ubiquiti-er-x-edgerouter-x-advanced-gigabit-ethernet-router-31922524.html
Ubiquiti ER-X EdgeRouter X

Last edited:

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
If you still keep some old Routers, just use them to replace the switch 1&2, the Router can be configured as Access Point +Ethernet switch, save power and have extra wireless coverage.

Last edited:

fireantz

Reaction score
IPTV refer to either Singtel or Starhub.
So you are not on both as their IPTV required config.

Do concentrate on the main connection.
As ports 1 & 2 are needed.
How about the other 3 ports.
If only 1 or 2 of other ports are used, no need worry about switch.
As in the end one port may not be in use at all.
So router 4 LAN ports are enough for now.
Any additional can consider later.

the other 3 ports (port 3,4,5) will not be used for the time being so 4 LAN ports will be sufficient.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the other 3 ports (port 3,4,5) will not be used for the time being so 4 LAN ports will be sufficient.
Likewise my other 3 data points are not using..

At least narrow down or concentrate on the main objectives first.

fireantz

Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.