StarHub Google Wifi- Is it Worth it?

dreamer0077

Reaction score
Havent set up yet though. Not sure if 1 router can eh...... :s11:

Your rooms are so called surrounding the living room. Unless you are requiring wifi even to your bathroom.

Depends how you lay. If you want to save $$. Mount 1 on the ceiling in the middle.

MESSY7

Reaction score
Hi all

Can i put 1 google wifi in the living room and another in the bedroom to act as wireless for that room using lan cable? My master bedroom is very very far from the living room...currently using homeplug to have wireless internet in the room but the speed cui.

My room have lan point.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Can i put 1 google wifi in the living room and another in the bedroom to act as wireless for that room using lan cable? My master bedroom is very very far from the living room...currently using homeplug to have wireless internet in the room but the speed cui.

My room have lan point.
Your room has LAN point and you are using home plug ?
Since you have LAN Point at Room.. the setup become flexible, you can have multiple configuration on Google Wifi Setup.

Google Wifi Setup is simple, regardless of LAN connected or Wifi Connected Secondary Wifi-Point is always be setup with Wifi Connection first (Do not connect LAN during setup for secondary wifi-point) .

After Additional wifi-point setup completion, move the Wifi point to the remote area. from there you can continue to use Wifi Connection or adding a lan cable to complete connection between Primary Wifi-Point LAN Port to Secondary Wifi-POint WAN or LAN Port ( Google auto detect and switch it to make it as Bridge).

I did the experiment on removing the LAN cable on 2nd Wifi Point and adding it back. Checking on the Google Wifi App, it is auto detecting.

From performance point of view..I can see speed bump when wired backhaul is used.

3 Mesh unit with Triangular position has the best bandwidth aggregation effort.

Putting 3 Mesh units with wireless connection in a straight line has the worst arrangement.The further end location will suffer low speed.

hellhole

Reaction score
i've got a question... maybe it was answered in the previous reply...

is my thinking right?

i have 3 of these google wifi units.

one will be connect to the fiber point in my living room.
then i can put 1 unit in my room. 1 unit in my study room.
These 2 unit i suppose will be 'drawing' the internet from the main unit in the living room and broadcast it. right?

1) can i use the lan port on the unit in my room to my desktop?
2) if i have fiber point at the 3 location that i want to put the unit. can i plug them all in? does that makes sense or not? haha

ecneret_eel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sigh..

i bought two sets of Google wifi mesh, and spent the last 4 hours trying to set it up.

totally don't know how and I am lost.

what I wanted to achieve was:

1. SingTel TV working with Google wifi mesh
2. all Google wifi units are connected via LAN cables to my data points in the wall instead of wifi for stronger and more stable connection

cant figure out how to do, really shag.

Sent from 1+5 using GAGT

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
sigh..

i bought two sets of Google wifi mesh, and spent the last 4 hours trying to set it up.

totally don't know how and I am lost.

what I wanted to achieve was:

1. SingTel TV working with Google wifi mesh
2. all Google wifi units are connected via LAN cables to my data points in the wall instead of wifi for stronger and more stable connection

cant figure out how to do, really shag.

Sent from 1+5 using GAGT

Provide more background on your setup.
What is your combinations of hardware ?
Network flow.

Setup of Google Wifi.
MESH Unit setup, Not to connect any Lan Cable during setup.
Follow the guidelines from the App religiously.
After setup completion, you can place the LAN cable to the Mesh unit that is initially connected with wireless . The Google Wifi will self adjust ..

I have a setup that similar to what you want..with google wifi

Google WIFI + MESH /WIred Wifi Point + SIngtel IPTV.

Singtel Router is taken away

ecneret_eel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Provide more background on your setup.
What is your combinations of hardware ?
Network flow.

Setup of Google Wifi.
MESH Unit setup, Not to connect any Lan Cable during setup.
Follow the guidelines from the App religiously.
After setup completion, you can place the LAN cable to the Mesh unit that is initially connected with wireless . The Google Wifi will self adjust ..

I have a setup that similar to what you want..with google wifi

Google WIFI + MESH /WIred Wifi Point + SIngtel IPTV.

Singtel Router is taken away

thank you for your reply.

my current set up is that I have a router from SingTel linking to my TV box for MIO TV.

i set up my main Google wifi in my master bed room, and it's now working fine, I have good wifi from that, however, even when my second Google wifi unit is in the same room, they are unable to detect, so I cannot add second access point.

my best scenario is that I can just connect MIO TV to watch TV, and Google wifi units in every room connected using LAN cable via my data points

Sent from 1+5 using GAGT

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

my current set up is that I have a router from SingTel linking to my TV box for MIO TV.

i set up my main Google wifi in my master bed room, and it's now working fine, I have good wifi from that, however, even when my second Google wifi unit is in the same room, they are unable to detect, so I cannot add second access point.

my best scenario is that I can just connect MIO TV to watch TV, and Google wifi units in every room connected using LAN cable via my data points

Sent from 1+5 using GAGT
Suggest to read about Router, Mesh & Google WiFi on how they work.
The basic will do...to gasp each advantages.

As you may not using as it suppose to be.
But using it as normal router with access point.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score

Sent from 1+5 using GAGT
Be specific on your description, dont use generic description.
Dont let other to guess how you connect the google wifi them.
Please provide the network connection flow of all your devices.

How you connect the 2nd unit of google wifi through Lan cable ?

Singtel Router
-NOn Vlan tagged LAN Port to Master Google Wifi [WAN ] PORT
=>Use Google Wifi app to setup the first unit, very simple always work

Additional Google Wifi Unit setup with Google Wifi App
-During setup ,if you fail to get Main Wifi unit to the MESH unit just skip the step, instead put in a lan cable betweeen the Main Unit 's LAN Port and the 2nd unit's WAN Port. Wait for the 2nd units to show the [Teal] Color to come up ,that is to say online.

After this, place the 2nd unit relatively near to the Main unit..and remove the LAN cable between them. You should see from the Google Wifi App showing the 2nd unit of Google Wifi switching between [Wired] to MESH ..

The issue is google wifi during initial setup, it is trying to update firmware before continuing other setup, this may screw thing up.

Alternatively you can try this.
1.Remove the Master Google Wifi unit from your Main Network, Lan connected to the WAN Port of the new google wifi unit to the Main Network to allow it to connect online to complete the self update. After update done, you will see TEAL Color signal on the Google Wifi unit.

2.Use Google Wifi App to setup as if it is a primary google wifi unit.
Once done, Master Reset the newly setup unit and use google Wifi app to perform add google wifi point to make it as mesh unit.

Last edited:

ecneret_eel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it's ok bro, I'm not very IT savvy so I can't describe the flow to you, probably will engage someone to sort this out for me

Sent from 1+5 using GAGT

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
You can try this :
Modem → Primary Wifi point→ Switch → Mesh Wifi point

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/7215624?hl=en-SG

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT

msaz

Reaction score
wah this thread saved me hundreds of dollars . was thinking of wi mesh .engaging a contractor to drill holes for ethernet cable trunking

jlyq1985

Reaction score
I’m on StarHub Fibre and bought Google wifi on Qoo10.

Connected the first node to the modem per the instructions but the set up takes a really really long time. Not sure if it’s my internet or otherwise.

Got my bro to try the wifi, signal is there but can’t surf. Checked on the app it says to restart my modem because no connection can be detected. Tried that several times, but to no avail. Always have the signal, but no connection at all.

Any ideas why this is happening?

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score
I’m on StarHub Fibre and bought Google wifi on Qoo10.

Connected the first node to the modem per the instructions but the set up takes a really really long time. Not sure if it’s my internet or otherwise.

Got my bro to try the wifi, signal is there but can’t surf. Checked on the app it says to restart my modem because no connection can be detected. Tried that several times, but to no avail. Always have the signal, but no connection at all.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Refer to the Google Wifi LED Status, TEAL color for ready and online.
Blinking Blue-> Ready for setup
Solid Blue-> It is resetting itself
Amber-> No Internet connection
Red->In Trouble

jlyq1985

Reaction score
Refer to the Google Wifi LED Status, TEAL color for ready and online.
Blinking Blue-> Ready for setup
Solid Blue-> It is resetting itself
Amber-> No Internet connection
Red->In Trouble

This might sound odd but it's a white light. Checked online and this white light is actually "teal". But I still can't surf. It says my access point is offline and to restart my modem.

Tried a few times, and I gave up. Or is my modem locked to my Asus router?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.