Micro LED! OLED killer?

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have read all about this new technology and how it will compete or even replace oled.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/microled-vs-oled-specs-features-explained/

How do u guys feel?

Last edited:

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
competition can only be good for consumers. competition should result in better products, more choices, and lower prices.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have read all about this new technology and how it will compete or even replace oled.

How do u guys feel?

If still something in the lab. It will takes a few years before it can be mesh production. Remember how much is OLED TV cost 5 years back?

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The downside to OLED? Because they are made with organic compounds, they are expensive to make, somewhat limited in brightness, and can suffer burn-in under the most excruciating viewing scenarios.

The exciting thing about MicroLED is that it is also an emissive display, but unlike OLED, it doesn’t rely on organic compounds to make light. In theory, MicroLED should offer perfect blacks, excellent color, and near-perfect off-angle viewing, just like OLED, but they should also be even brighter, very slim, immune to burn-in, and, ultimately, less expensive to make than OLED.

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The downside to OLED? Because they are made with organic compounds, they are expensive to make, somewhat limited in brightness, and can suffer burn-in under the most excruciating viewing scenarios.

The exciting thing about MicroLED is that it is also an emissive display, but unlike OLED, it doesn’t rely on organic compounds to make light. In theory, MicroLED should offer perfect blacks, excellent color, and near-perfect off-angle viewing, just like OLED, but they should also be even brighter, very slim, immune to burn-in, and, ultimately, less expensive to make than OLED.

Yup...

I have a feeling oled might go into the way of plasma if micro led gains mainstream and costs go down to manufacture.

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yup...

I have a feeling oled might go into the way of plasma if micro led gains mainstream and costs go down to manufacture.

every technology will eventually be replaced by something better, and it's not limited to OLED. not really sure what is the point you are trying to make that is specific to OLED.

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So basically, inorganic oled :).
Also I feel good that technology is advancing...

TNG

Reaction score
mLED (micro LED) > QLED > OLED

my 2 cents

IMHO ... i wouldn't even put it that way.

I wouldn't even put QLED is better than OLED ... :s13:

Then again to each his own ... it'll reopen up the debate again on QLED vs OLED ... LOL

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
now the problem is how to pick the LEDs from the wafer to the substrate....

still no machine can do this.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. But guess it will takes sometimes become popular and most important, price.

As always, best technology doea not always best for consumer.

Panerai88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Definitely yes, Samsung is always leader, LG is second rate.

Sent from my Landed property using GAGT

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Huh. LG beat Samsung to oled leh.

Technically Samsung did not lose to LG in OLED. It was just a business decision for Samsung not to invest and produce large TV size OLED due to some strategic decisions that they were not willing to risk. :)

Their AMOLED mobile screen division is still doing very well.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Technically Samsung did not lose to LG in OLED. It was just a business decision for Samsung not to invest and produce large TV size OLED due to some strategic decisions that they were not willing to risk. :)

Their AMOLED mobile screen division is still doing very well.

Think he is referring to markey share in term of high end TV product.
Yes in 2017. But 2018 is yet to see as the 2nd generation of QLED seem greaty improved from previous version. Also by this time, 1st gen OLED users may started to notice the burn in effect of OLED. This is why LG releasing the OLED panel (Philips, Panasonic, Sony) to other brand to widen the market share of OLED.

Who will be the final winer is yet to say.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.