Back from South island New Zealand

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thinking to go franz glacier possible?
Will be very rush. FJG is on the other side of the mountain range from mt cook. Need to travel done to wanaka and up the west coast, or up towards christchurch and go via Arthur's pass. Either way is almost a whole day of driving

newmie

Reaction score
Will be very rush. FJG is on the other side of the mountain range from mt cook. Need to travel done to wanaka and up the west coast, or up towards christchurch and go via Arthur's pass. Either way is almost a whole day of driving

My prewed first day at mount cook, 2nd day at tekapo.. so i will finish at tekapo.. any recommendation from there how to travel for the next 6 days? =:p

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My prewed first day at mount cook, 2nd day at tekapo.. so i will finish at tekapo.. any recommendation from there how to travel for the next 6 days? =:p
Maybe stay another night at tekapo for stargazing and visit mt john. Then head down to wanaka and Queenstown

Hinana

Reaction score
Hi, I just want to comment about this journey.

[*]Christchurch
[*]Christchurch - Kaikorua
[*]Kaikorua - Picton [ferry] Wellington OR back Christchurch [domestic flight] Wellington

I presumed you are catch a bus to from CHC to Kaikorua and then stayed a night in Kaikorua?

if you do, maybe you want to do the whale watch trip in Kaikorua. Not cheap but well worth it.

The journey from kaikorua to Picton may think about 2 hours or less.

In my opinion, the Picton to Wellington ferry trip is beautiful (on a good day). You can either catch the Interislander or the Blueridge ferry.

If you are tired and wanted a break, you could just buy an AirNZ or Jetstar flight from CHC to Wellington. If you book early, one way is 45NZD.

Thanks everyone for the recommendation so far :s13:

At the moment my Plan A is to drive from CHC - Kaokorua. Following day drive up and drop the vehicle at Picton before boarding the ferry.
OR
Plan B drive back CHC the following day and drop the car at CHC Airport before taking domestic flight back to WLG.

I understand the Interislander ferry trip can be really nice. Not sure if we'd be missing much if we've done the Milford Ferry (also 3hrs long). Alternatively maybe I should just enjoy the view of Southern Alps by taking domestic flight from CHC to WLG :s22:

angy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the recommendation so far :s13:

At the moment my Plan A is to drive from CHC - Kaokorua. Following day drive up and drop the vehicle at Picton before boarding the ferry.
OR
Plan B drive back CHC the following day and drop the car at CHC Airport before taking domestic flight back to WLG.

I understand the Interislander ferry trip can be really nice. Not sure if we'd be missing much if we've done the Milford Ferry (also 3hrs long). Alternatively maybe I should just enjoy the view of Southern Alps by taking domestic flight from CHC to WLG :s22:

Milford ferry and Interislander are two different transport for different purposes.

I recommend take the flight out of CHC, much easier and faster and save you the car rental money. If you are thinking about the view, it is it wrong season. The southern ALPS will be covered with snow sometime from July onwards. Moreover, the flight is very short, at most 25 minutes in the air and then you are back down again in Wellington.

Hinana

Reaction score
Milford ferry and Interislander are two different transport for different purposes.

I recommend take the flight out of CHC, much easier and faster and save you the car rental money. If you are thinking about the view, it is it wrong season. The southern ALPS will be covered with snow sometime from July onwards. Moreover, the flight is very short, at most 25 minutes in the air and then you are back down again in Wellington.

If the total rental fee of the car is the same dropping off at Picton/Christchurch, should I be taking the ferry route then (2:00 - 5:30 pm Interislander)? Also don't need to drive back CHC.

Last edited:

angy

Reaction score

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will happen means will happen.

Just do it if u want.

Nevis is ok.

Nothing is 100% safe.

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My skydive got cancelled again this time due to the incident. :(

Sent from OPPO X9076 using GAGT

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finally managed to do my skydive over at wanaka. Great experience but feel that it was a little rushed for the parachute portion.

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How do you mean rushed?
I am not sure how it is usually done but when I was viewing from below, I can see that they make pretty fast and steep descent on the parachute when they could have slowed it by making more rounds around the landing point.

I could be wrong though.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.