Wondering if any experts can help me with my situation?

Junken

Reaction score
Hi all,

Would like to ask experts out there for help for the following situation:
(Please pardon me if I have missed out any information)

My PC past few days keep turn on by itself when I am not home. then 2 nights ago, suddenly cannot turn on at all. press power button but nothing happens at all. no components run, no fans spinning, no beep, nothing at all.

then I tried to jumpstart my PSU by using the paper clip method to test if it is dead. 1 to green 1 to black. the PSU fan runs.

then i tried to use the PSU on my another system (ITX). it manages to power the system on.

then i tried to test the power switch by using a flathead screwdriver, nothing happens either.

afterwards, i gave up and went to sleep. but left the power supply on. in the middle of the night, it turned on by itself again but i did not do anything about it. by the time i woke up, it was off again, and once again, it cannot be turned on.

then last night i tried other methods. i unseat the cmos battery for 20+ min. after that put back. still cannot. components do not run.

after that all of a sudden the PC turned on by itself, then i manage to go to bios after the page which tells me that cmos was reset, but in another 1-2min it shut off by itself again. and cannot turn on again.

I should also mention that while I cannot power it on, my motherboard still has 2 red LED light - 1 is the power led and the other appears to be the HW game boost LED. the blue LED on my orico USB hub plugged in also lights up

system specs are as follows:
-CPU i7 7700K
-Motherboard MSI Z270 Gaming M7
-Ram Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 2400MHZ
-Galax GTX 980TI HOF
-SSD NVME Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB
-PSU Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ Gold
-NZXT Kraken X62 cpu cooler
-NZXT Aer 140 RGB fan
-NZXT HUE+
-Phanteks Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Satin Silver case

Am I required to do the whole breadboarding method of understanding which part is faulty?

Appreciate any help, thanks!

Last edited:

Psycovirus

Reaction score
Omg... Got ghost.

But seriously, there is no logical reason why such a thing is happening... Can only suspect bad PSU or Mobo.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3000 using GAGT

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have u tried using another PSU cable or wall socket and test the same PSU cable and wall scooter for your itx and see if it does happen to it as well.

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Omg... Got ghost.

But seriously, there is no logical reason why such a thing is happening... Can only suspect bad PSU or Mobo.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3000 using GAGT
2nd the ghost part haha

More like to be mobo as ts tested his psu with another rig

Sent from Finally Unbanned using GAGT

Junken

Reaction score
Have u tried using another PSU cable or wall socket and test the same PSU cable and wall scooter for your itx and see if it does happen to it as well.

Tried a different wall socket and the main power cable and still did not work. The same wall socket and main power cable worked for the ITX.

Junken

Reaction score
But could it be voltage degradation or something? Might have enough juice to power an ITX but somehow not sufficient to power my system? Will try taking out gpu and one ram stick or something later to see if it runs.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you able to power on using the onboard power button (bottom right of MB)?

undead102

Reaction score
Could be chassis power button faulty. Try don't use the chassis power switch cable and switch on the pc by shorting the 2 pins for the power switch.

Junken

Reaction score
Could be chassis power button faulty. Try don't use the chassis power switch cable and switch on the pc by shorting the 2 pins for the power switch.

Tried that. Didn't work. Used flathead screwdriver to touch the 2 points.

LLCSG12

Reaction score
maybe u try disconnect SSD+HDD+ 980Ti and all USB connections etc....

no need take out.. just unplug all powet cables to these parts ..

if still dont boot then narrow down to cpu or ram or mobo..

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
system specs are as follows:
-CPU i7 7700K
-Motherboard MSI Z270 Gaming M7
-Ram Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 2400MHZ
-Galax GTX 980TI HOF
-SSD NVME Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB
-PSU Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ Gold
-NZXT Kraken X62 cpu cooler
-NZXT Aer 140 RGB fan
-NZXT HUE+

-Phanteks Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Satin Silver case

OT post, but I'm just imagining if Corbell one day could ever do "premium servicing" by accepting the entire rig if all parts were under them :s13:

Junken

Reaction score
Think my Mobo is dead? Plugged out everything left 1 stick of ram and my aio CPU cooler. Can't start. Same 2 red LED on Mobo power button and the HW game boost. Then randomly all of a sudden start by itself (psu and aio cooler) 1 second immediately off.

I also tried to alternate between using 2 sticks of ram.

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
windows 10?

windows 10 have a tendency to hibernate or work behind the scene(off the display output, but still doing some work)

Junken

Reaction score
Latest update:

Tried with a spare 520w seasonic psu with nothing plugged in except aio cooler and 1 stick of ram.

Completely same issue still, red LED power light is on, while HW game boost LED is lit up but flickering from time to time. No fans are spinning, no components run either.

Can I declare my motherboard as faulty?

tmfwy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Latest update:

Tried with a spare 520w seasonic psu with nothing plugged in except aio cooler and 1 stick of ram.

Completely same issue still, red LED power light is on, while HW game boost LED is lit up but flickering from time to time. No fans are spinning, no components run either.

Can I declare my motherboard as faulty?
motherboard declare dead. Move on to new motherboard. Save time and increase productivity

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.