All Intel processors affected by memory leaking vulnerability

iron2000

Reaction score
Intel site with links to motherboard manufacturer pages:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...de-channel-analysis-and-intel-products.html#2

Feels like in the end majority of the world's PC population will still be left vulnerable unless the mobo makers really go back release ALL patches for ALL their products.

Intel hard at work making the patches also no use.

Read somewhere that it is possible for Microsoft to release some microcode patch through Windows Update like in the past so theres a bit of hope.

Last edited:

bencheongcm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Intel site with links to motherboard manufacturer pages:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...de-channel-analysis-and-intel-products.html#2

Feels like in the end majority of the world's PC population will still be left vulnerable unless the mobo makers really go back release ALL patches for ALL their products.

Intel hard at work making the patches also no use.

Read somewhere that it is possible for Microsoft to release some microcode patch through Windows Update like in the past so theres a bit of hope.
end of the day MB makers will say EOL end of support of our legacy porducts not my problem? :s8:

Kairos

Reaction score
No news update from AsRock. :o

But they released new bios yesterday: Latest BIOS Update :D

Apparently, fixing Spectre Variant 2?? Check them out and provide feedback here.

Gattberserk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe still have the loophole since hardware design is still same just some minor changes.

They are probably rushing to bring forward their Icelake now, since it has new architecture and any rectification is still possible.

Maybe this is why they directly skipped cannon-lake all of sudden.

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i see tonite my z170 hero page updated with 3703 bios out, but they uploaded wrong bios file for different board (hero alpha) :(

How come asus so noti :s34:

mv8EOPu.png

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/3131734/spy/3116712

The NVMe synthetics more noti, even more noti than DMI 3.0 :s34:
S541HUk.png

rqxJ83l.png

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
^ dunno abt storage benchmarks,
but timespy less 100++ points for cpu wud suckk! :o=:p

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys justbchecking is there any way to check for spetre and meltdown on our PC?

concept_fuel

Reaction score
Hey guys justbchecking is there any way to check for spetre and meltdown on our PC?

Both are not viruses=:p
It is both a vulnerability which can be exploited on the x86 platform, mainly on intel.
What you need to do instead is to make sure you're OS is patched for meltdown and bios updated(provided your board has one) for the spectre variant.

If your on AMD specifically ryzen I would not worry too much. While AMD is planning to release an "optional firmware updates" for its processors to protect against the Spectre variants of CPU exploits, I would personally hold off as bugs,slowdowns and such might be a side effect of doing so as AMD is near zero risk of being exploited until these firmwares are thoroughly tested:s13:.

You might also like to update your GPU driver if you're on on NVIDIA as they recently had an update to their drivers and is pushing these updates to "strengthen against spectre further".

Also your software, programs and apps like browsers if they have a patch for these vulnerability. Google and read:o
YMMV:s22:

Rock-kun

Reaction score
Both are not viruses=:p
It is both a vulnerability which can be exploited on the x86 platform, mainly on intel.
What you need to do instead is to make sure you're OS is patched for meltdown and bios updated(provided your board has one) for the spectre variant.

If your on AMD specifically ryzen I would not worry too much. While AMD is planning to release an "optional firmware updates" for its processors to protect against the Spectre variants of CPU exploits, I would personally hold off as bugs,slowdowns and such might be a side effect of doing so as AMD is near zero risk of being exploited until these firmwares are thoroughly tested:s13:.

You might also like to update your GPU driver if you're on on NVIDIA as they recently had an update to their drivers and is pushing these updates to "strengthen against spectre further".

Also your software, programs and apps like browsers if they have a patch for these vulnerability. Google and read:o
YMMV:s22:

AMD is affected by Spectre variants 1 and 2: Official Statement by AMD

The good news is that Linux has already patched the latest kernels a few days ago for Spectre. Microsoft is supposedly due to release the update soon, and as usual macOS is lagging behind.

By the way, the Linux kernel maintainers are supposedly downright pissed off at having to modify the kernel over some fault they never caused: http://kroah.com/log/blog/2018/01/06/meltdown-status/

Right now, there are a lot of very overworked, grumpy, sleepless, and just generally pissed off kernel developers working as hard as they can to resolve these issues that they themselves did not cause at all. Please be considerate of their situation right now. They need all the love and support and free supply of their favorite beverage that we can provide them to ensure that we all end up with fixed systems as soon as possible.

Plus Linus Torvalds also a bit dulan already:

Linus Torvalds on [URL="https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/3/797" said:
LKML[/URL]]
Why is this all done without any configuration options?

A *competent* CPU engineer would fix this by making sure speculation
doesn't happen across protection domains. Maybe even a L1 I$ that is
keyed by CPL.

I think somebody inside of Intel needs to really take a long hard look
at their CPU's, and actually admit that they have issues instead of
writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed.

.. and that really means that all these mitigation patches should be
written with "not all CPU's are crap" in mind.

Or is Intel basically saying "we are committed to selling you ****
forever and ever, and never fixing anything"?

Because if that's the case, maybe we should start looking towards the
ARM64 people more.

Please talk to management. Because I really see exactly two possibibilities:

- Intel never intends to fix anything

OR

- these workarounds should have a way to disable them.

Which of the two is it?

Linus

Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pretty much almost the same finding, CPU lost abit, GPU gained abit. :s34:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/3144602/spy/3125197

Not much difference except 4k random for storage. So it's probably not the DMI 3.0 3.5GB/s theoretical throughput ceiling, at the interface level even SATA 3 4k random also reduced. But 867Mbps WiFi NIC completely unaffected, didn't hit ceiling with additional "overhead"?

Did you see any difference in GbE lan in your i-219V speedtest? (I don't use ethernet :s34:) I wonder how about 1.73Gbps WiFi..

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pretty much almost the same finding, CPU lost abit, GPU gained abit. :s34:

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/3144602/spy/3125197

Not much difference except 4k random for storage. So it's probably not the DMI 3.0 3.5GB/s theoretical throughput ceiling, at the interface level even SATA 3 4k random also reduced. But 867Mbps WiFi NIC completely unaffected, didn't hit ceiling with additional "overhead"?

Did you see any difference in GbE lan in your i-219V speedtest? (I don't use ethernet :s34:) I wonder how about 1.73Gbps WiFi..
i didn't do any proper testing, just daily copying video files over to my other old pc x3 720be with realtek lan - same 111MB/s as before - any hit won't be shown in my setup

FinalTidus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone on Sandy Bridge architecture and experienced any performance hit?

I on i5-2500K and I don't really see any performance hit.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.