Asus VivoBook S510UN sudden performance drop

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the S510UN via Hachi Tech around a month ago.

It was generally doing fine, until this week suddenly a big performance drop, everything became noticeably laggier. I thought it was due to bloatware and tried to uninstall McAfee etc., but didn't help. In the end, I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10. Btw, the laptop is running 8th gen i5 processor, 8GB RAM, MX150 graphics, so its fairly decent.

Then I ran passmark, and I got these results on the S510UN (below). Oh my! Very very bad! Some tests cannot even complete

oqoWdbO.png

Compared to my very old Asus UX31A (below), there is definitely something wrong with my new laptop, but I can't figure what is wrong.

LeStyq4.png

Is this sufficient to lodge a case for RMA? I can't pinpoint the failure, but it does seem like there is a hardware issue right? Any advise how to get a successful RMA?

And I'm guessing its just a coincidence with the recent Intel chip Spectre/Meltdown issue?

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
still cant get the machine to run PassMark like it ought to. Did Windows Update etc etc.

Guess I will have to send it in for RMA. Do I need to make an online registration for RMA or can I just bring it down to the MacPherson service centre? Do I need to bring any documents like receipt (I only have soft copy from hachi tech)?

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but what the specs of your pc?

im still thinking that probably u are running on hdd and maybe with loads of stuff in your pc (junks+impt stuff) and background apps running that causes it.

Hailgod

Master Member
Reaction score
but what the specs of your pc?

im still thinking that probably u are running on hdd and maybe with loads of stuff in your pc (junks+impt stuff) and background apps running that causes it.

Btw, the laptop is running 8th gen i5 processor, 8GB RAM, MX150 graphics, so its fairly decent.
could be some background process though. check with cntl+shift+esc

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Disk performance is alright .. By my guesses probably a SSD.

What seems to be the issue is the graphical, processing and memory results. Owing that this is probably rocking DDR4 memory .. and as you have mentioned, the following specifications Processor (quad core), fairly powerful GPU..

Could I check

1. if all windows updates / processes running in the background have stopped? - Disable all Windows 10 telematics and ensure no updates are running.

2. Graphical Drivers used for your device - if adventurous use Display driver uninstaller (DDU) to cleanly remove all residues of OEM drivers and use Nvidia’s Driver on their webpage

3. On your start menu. Right Click for more options and change performance from Balanced (Default) to High performance.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this is not the same thing.

the intel meltdown affected pretty much every intel cpu in the past decade. Spectre affects every x86 cpu

Initially I was thinking if it is caused by Windows 10 Meltdown patch, but I don't think it should take such a big hit in performance.

Not sure if TS can check what is the temp of the new laptop? It does seem like the performance is being throttled down either due to lack of power, or overheating.

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's a fresh install of Windows 10, so there's no bloatware or whatever.

Specs are:
i5-8250U processor
DRAM DDR4 8GB
SATA3 256G M.2 SSD
GeForce MX150

CPU Temp from PerformanceTest (test not running) is around 40+ deg C when the software starts, then goes up to 65 deg C and stabilises there.

Here are the processes from task manager
Ei98n7T.png

iPoPJw7.png

Last edited:

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
had time to run one round this evening, the system seems to be back to the expected level of performance. maybe the recent set of windows updates were still ongoing when i ran the earlier rounds (Although im surprised that the performance takes such a big hit)

will monitor over the next few days when i have time at home

Ao7F7D9.png

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
It does take a hit during windows updates.
Generally from observations (believe there was a thread by a forumer as well) it will smooth out after couple of days.

However having said that synthetic benchmarks are not generally not representative of daily performances.. maybe much more resources are allocated to the task at hand that resulted in earlier skewed results

had time to run one round this evening, the system seems to be back to the expected level of performance. maybe the recent set of windows updates were still ongoing when i ran the earlier rounds (Although im surprised that the performance takes such a big hit)

will monitor over the next few days when i have time at home

Ao7F7D9.png

Last edited:

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup, i was surprised at the extent of impact though. initially, it was a bit laggy (e.g. opening Explorer would be slower on this new PC than my 4-year old one) and i thought it was bloatware from the original Asus installation of Win10

thus I did a clean install of Win10, and I guess the first few runs of the benchmark still had some updates DLing or installing in the background, resulting in an immense hit on performance.

thanks everyone for the kind help!

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Cheers! Enjoy your new machine!
P.s. do remember disabled peer to peer windows update!

yup, i was surprised at the extent of impact though. initially, it was a bit laggy (e.g. opening Explorer would be slower on this new PC than my 4-year old one) and i thought it was bloatware from the original Asus installation of Win10

thus I did a clean install of Win10, and I guess the first few runs of the benchmark still had some updates DLing or installing in the background, resulting in an immense hit on performance.

thanks everyone for the kind help!

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ack i spoke too soon. now its back to the mediocre benchmark scores again, and in regular use its noticeably slower than my old laptop running an i5-3317U processor w 4GB ram

Windows update isn't active, so it doesn't seems like the cause (I disabled p2p updating though). Gonna have to test a bit more over the weekend to see what on earth is wrong.

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i reset windows again, turned off wifi (so no windows update) and ran the test... again PassMark ratings of around 600~. Very odd.. that out of the blue I could get the 'correct' level of performance at around 3000, then suddenly its back to the mediocre performance again.

During PassMark CPU test, is the CPU supposed to be running at 100% in task manager? From what I can tell, only seems to be at around 20 or 25%

VanquishShadow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Here are my task manager and CPU resource monitor stats, captured during CPU Mark. Doesn't seems like the CPU is anywhere close to full performance?

ShfuSX9.png

AgkPfix.png

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Could it have been Asus bios setting have to do with the CPU side?

Or the themeral throttling that affects it?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.