ASUS RT-AC1200G Router

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Cons
===
Increasing channel width should increase bandwidth, but it comes at the cost of decreased transmission range and greater susceptibility to interference.

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am using a Drink DIR-868L. Will this Asus router be an upgrade? The Dlink router wifi coverage very small.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Wah today i checked the 5Ghz wifi link rate on my phone and it was 800+mbps!
Speedtest on my phone showed a comforting 300+ mbps, over the lousy 100mbps the day before. But 2.4Ghz speeds was only 80+mbps.
Still not sure what I did to improve the results for 5Ghz, but did factory reset a few times and chose not to open advance setting. Left everything on default.

Maybe the first few times I chose all the wrong settings in advance settings menu heheh. Hope it continues to work well.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah today i checked the 5Ghz wifi link rate on my phone and it was 800+mbps!
Speedtest on my phone showed a comforting 300+ mbps, over the lousy 100mbps the day before. But 2.4Ghz speeds was only 80+mbps.
Still not sure what I did to improve the results for 5Ghz, but did factory reset a few times and chose not to open advance setting. Left everything on default.

Maybe the first few times I chose all the wrong settings in advance settings menu heheh. Hope it continues to work well.

Factory reset is best after firmware update and to the default settings first.

Then do the measurement to ensure the firmware update is good.

Afterwards then do the nec settings if required.

grapewall

Reaction score
I have an old ASUS RT-AC1200G (without the "+"), and I'm on M1 500 Mbps.
When I use my tablet which has wireless ac, I did a speedtest but could never hit more than 100Mbps down and up loads. In fact, since I have this router, all the speedtests, including the 5Ghz could not exceed 100Mbps.

what could be the reason? My router bandwidth's 2.4Ghz is set to 40Mhz, and 5Ghz is 80Mhz.

-Grift-

Reaction score
When I use my tablet which has wireless ac, I did a speedtest but could never hit more than 100Mbps down and up loads. In fact, since I have this router, all the speedtests, including the 5Ghz could not exceed 100Mbps.

what could be the reason? My router bandwidth's 2.4Ghz is set to 40Mhz, and 5Ghz is 80Mhz.

Set 5Ghz channel to 153~ (Not too high not too Low) worked for me

grapewall

Reaction score
I used acer tablet. I checked the specs. Both my phone and tablet are ac . Both have similar wifi up and down performances.

HMAN

Master Member
Reaction score

what tablet are you using ?

I have a 3 years old or longer Asus56S AC router. 5GHz band can get 450Mbps up/down with my phones( Nexus 6 and Nexus6P). Newer phone is getting even higher speed.

You can first check the Wireless Link speed from your wifi settings page on Android Tablet. If you dont get high link speed that is to say your wifi signal is not strong . My Phone is with link speed at 866Mbps, can get around 600++ Mbps with speedtest.net at super off peak time.

The issue could be on the tablet end.

grapewall

Reaction score
My 5Ghz link speed is 433Mbps, but download speed is 95Mbps.

My 2.4Ghz link speed is 72Mbps, but download speed only 50Mbps.

alex76

Reaction score
I am using Dlink 868L on Starhub 1Gbps plan. I use my iphone 7 plus to do speedtest, everytime I get less than 100Mbps for download irregradless of server selected.

Then yesterday I got this Asus new router, I test it out from the box, I got max of 280Mbps.
After that I happily dismantled my old Dlink router and replaced with this Asus router and saw there's a prompt for new firmware and I upgraded it.
Ever since, I can get only max 120Mbps :(

Questions:-
1. What is the usual max Mbps that an iphone 7 plus can get from a 1Gbps plan?
2. I read that this Asus router is 8xx+3xx = AC1200, but in reality I will not get the max 8xxMbps on the 5Ghz band, right?
3. If the Dlink AC1750 has a 5GHz band that support up to max 1300Mbps, why is it slower than the Asus based on the speedtest?
4. Does the 5GHz band max data really matters to my iphone 7 plus if I am not using any of the LAN gigabit (all of my devices using only wifi)

thanks!

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I am using Dlink 868L on Starhub 1Gbps plan. I use my iphone 7 plus to do speedtest, everytime I get less than 100Mbps for download irregradless of server selected.

Then yesterday I got this Asus new router, I test it out from the box, I got max of 280Mbps.
After that I happily dismantled my old Dlink router and replaced with this Asus router and saw there's a prompt for new firmware and I upgraded it.

2. I read that this Asus router is 8xx+3xx = AC1200, but in reality I will not get the max 8xxMbps on the 5Ghz band, right?
3. If the Dlink AC1750 has a 5GHz band that support up to max 1300Mbps, why is it slower than the Asus based on the speedtest?
4. Does the 5GHz band max data really matters to my iphone 7 plus if I am not using any of the LAN gigabit (all of my devices using only wifi)

thanks!

Is your 5ghz band set to 80mhz?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

thanks!

1. iPhone 7+ with a higher spec router may go as high as 400/500+ Mbps
2. Nope. Thumb of rule of all Wi-Fi specs is approx 50% max
3. Marketing
4. In real world usage ? Rarely.

This one I have to check it tonight, but the "out of the box" condition and after firmware upgrade won't change this setting right?

With regards to your issue, as mentioned in the above post, check your Wi-Fi 5Ghz bandwidth setting.
Set it to 80Mhz. Default is Auto ( 20/40/80 )

qubec2

Master Member
Reaction score
planning to sign m1 1gbps fibre but not sure if the free ac1200g+ is good enough or need to upgrade to ac88u. Any recommendations?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.