Hyflux 6% Perpetual Securities

weng0202

Master Member
Reaction score
Fall to $0.77. I am a bit worry about whether I will get back my principle if I hold on to it. Can someone explain why it keep falling.

As long as Hyflux don’t go bankrupt should be ok. Volume is low so easier to control the price.

panda_hippo

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Fall to $0.77. I am a bit worry about whether I will get back my principle if I hold on to it. Can someone explain why it keep falling.

Probably due to poor business fundamentals. The company have been incurring losses over a long period of time. My mother is holding onto it and is fearful for her principle as well.

Personally I will never put money in a consistently unprofitable business.

homer123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hyflux has been making loss every quarter...very scary to buy this kind of bond as it might one day declare withholding interest payment. Even though it is cumulative, the confidence of the investors will be badly hit.

weng0202

Master Member
Reaction score
Hyflux has been making loss every quarter...very scary to buy this kind of bond as it might one day declare withholding interest payment. Even though it is cumulative, the confidence of the investors will be badly hit.

They really need to divest away from the Tuas Spring project which is causing the loss. But so far no progress on that and haven’t really heard of any new projects they are embarking on.

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you look at their most recent dividend payout based on FY, its in form of shares instead of div, so existing shareholders face dilution, and most importantly for pref shares there is a clause option which allow hyflux to stop coupons payout when there is no dividends payout to equity shareholders.

There is a real risk of hyflux stopping CD for bond and pref shares now because they have stopped issuing dividends..

weng0202

Master Member
Reaction score
if you look at their most recent dividend payout based on FY, its in form of shares instead of div, so existing shareholders face dilution, and most importantly for pref shares there is a clause option which allow hyflux to stop coupons payout when there is no dividends payout to equity shareholders.

There is a real risk of hyflux stopping CD for bond and pref shares now because they have stopped issuing dividends..

I don’t think it will reach that stage unless they no longer want to get capital through bonds in future.

pickboys

Reaction score
I don’t think it will reach that stage unless they no longer want to get capital through bonds in future.

yeah i agree

they would likely pay payments to ps or bonds because they are likely to issue new ps or bonds in future....

weng0202

Master Member
Reaction score
Will they convert preference shares into shares if they do not redem?

Not sure whether it can be converted or not. I think they can don’t pay out the coupons but that will pose problems for future fund raising through bonds.

neanea

Master Member
Reaction score
Not sure whether it can be converted or not. I think they can don’t pay out the coupons but that will pose problems for future fund raising through bonds.

There's a batch of preference shares due April. How to find out how much is it and if hyflux have the funds to redeem?

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today just so happen I was looking over Singapore corporate bonds in my trading account. :vijayadmin:

Many hidden dragons and crouching tigers on this thread. Those who can hoot bonds are not simple because once reach above a certain net worth then Fixed Income allocation portion must be more than 50% for wealth preservation and risk management.

Unrated junk bonds at S$250K a piece. Better think thrice. Bonds have higher quantum unlike shares where you can buy smaller lots and anyhow hoot junk counters.

Why don't buy UOB even though lower coupon payout but safe. AAA rated. At least coupon higher than Fixed Depost rates. :s13:

Bonds are Fixed Income assets so must have realistic expectations and stable outlook. If want high returns then avoid bonds. Hoot US stocks or Cryptos. :D

Last edited:

stjoe1

Reaction score
This Hyflux PS has retail offering, retail investor can buy as low as $100. Don't think this preference shares has Kopp portion to convert to normal shares.
Today just so happen I was looking over Singapore corporate bonds in my trading account. :vijayadmin:

Many hidden dragons and crouching tigers on this thread. Those who can hoot bonds are not simple because once reach above a certain net worth then Fixed Income allocation portion must be more than 50% for wealth preservation and risk management.

Unrated junk bonds at S$250K a piece. Better think thrice. Bonds have higher quantum unlike shares where you can buy smaller lots and anyhow hoot junk counters.

Why don't buy UOB even though lower coupon payout but safe. AAA rated. At least coupon higher than Fixed Depost rates. :s13:

Bonds are Fixed Income assets so must have realistic expectations and stable outlook. If want high returns then avoid bonds. Hoot US stocks or Cryptos. :D

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This Hyflux PS has retail offering, retail investor can buy as low as $100. Don't think this preference shares has Kopp portion to convert to normal shares.

Oh I see. Thanks. :D

Just now in the bonds section of my trading account I saw Hyflux bond. S$250K a piece. :vijayadmin: :s13:

neanea

Master Member
Reaction score

That means PS mature in April die die will be redeemed?

kehyi4

Reaction score
Retail bonds are traded in 1,000 share lots, not 100 :)

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will they convert preference shares into shares if they do not redem?

no, its NCPS = non convertible preference shares.

:D

corporate bonds traded OTC at $250k a piece is different from retail bond with win min of 10 or 100 traded openly in sgx, former needs to be AI and require $2M AUM.

Hyflux is in a downward spiral and they have to refinance at higher costs in future, now its around $0.78 with gross yield of 7.5% and effective YTM around 12-13%. Refinancing though bond placement require them to match or even better the returns otherwise subscription will go below 1x.

Now can only hope for a turnaround in their business and start dividend issuance once again

tazzi80

Master Member
Reaction score
The only concern to me is whether the company can stay afloat, lol. I am vested in this as well (both n2h and btwz). Not too concern about the fluctuation in price. With IR hiking the price is set to drop.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.