Difference in Big 4 and small audit firm - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s what I feel. Her background not solid. Certain procedure that we do, she doesn’t know why. But jus know it’s required. The plus point she is hardworking. There was a job she did, the partner explain to her umpteenth time on what and how to do, she jus couldn’t understand and the partner had to go down himself and b the “mgr” on the job. Ridiculous. I begin to wonder if there is more than jus employee-employer relationship. Which partner will do such a thing? He can jus assign another manager .
your small firm so big until got many managers?

usually is like 2-3 max

FrostWurm

Master Member
Reaction score
That’s what I feel. Her background not solid. Certain procedure that we do, she doesn’t know why. But jus know it’s required. The plus point she is hardworking. There was a job she did, the partner explain to her umpteenth time on what and how to do, she jus couldn’t understand and the partner had to go down himself and b the “mgr” on the job. Ridiculous. I begin to wonder if there is more than jus employee-employer relationship. Which partner will do such a thing? He can jus assign another manager .

Hello, you seem to post a lot about this manager.

The best advice for you is suck it up or do something. No matter which audit firm you go to, there will be lazy managers, enthu managers, stupid managers, smart managers, useless managers, capable managers. In fact, this is the same for any company in the world.

There is no point speculating whether "there is more than jus employee-employer relationship. Which partner will do such a thing?". Even if there is, wtf can you do about it? Complain to the partner? :s22:

Everyone has colleagues/bosses/clients they hate; this is life and we cannot always choose the people we want to work with. No point feeling bitter day-after-day.

KevinLevrone

Reaction score
Bro, your role now got cover corporate finance?

Today my director ask us if any of us got interest in doing corporate finance... Can volunteer. Currently we don't have such a role in the company. I only scared that if volunteer, end up is become extra workload.. My current load already spike recently due to circumstances

Sent from Google PIXEL XL using GAGT

Yes we do. but it's not an additional department. It's embedded in our job. Eg. If we needed to set up a new distribution entity or new line of products in Asia, we need to make sure we cover enough scenarios to ensure the feasibility of it.

I think the knowledge is essential if you wish to move further up, especially in big MNCs and covering a role like regional FC. To be honest, workload can't be used as a reason to reject if you wish to advance.Just have to manage your time because, all the people up there are doing it already.

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes we do. but it's not an additional department. It's embedded in our job. Eg. If we needed to set up a new distribution entity or new line of products in Asia, we need to make sure we cover enough scenarios to ensure the feasibility of it.

I think the knowledge is essential if you wish to move further up, especially in big MNCs and covering a role like regional FC. To be honest, workload can't be used as a reason to reject if you wish to advance.Just have to manage your time because, all the people up there are doing it already.
Yea I know it is good.
Just that currently I haven't do consol and sgx reporting already, I'm working till 8-10pm daily. Add the additional stuff I think I no need go home liao lol.
My role currently isn't just book closing and reporting.

KevinLevrone

Reaction score
Yea I know it is good.
Just that currently I haven't do consol and sgx reporting already, I'm working till 8-10pm daily. Add the additional stuff I think I no need go home liao lol.
My role currently isn't just book closing and reporting.

Well. up to you to decide then. I'm overseeing closing for 6 entities, currently with projects setting up another 3 entities, managing transfer price in APAC, ERP projects in Korea, Taiwan and SEA. I'm never far from work, sometimes having to go into conf call at unearthly hours with UK and US. The only benefit is, my hours are flexible. If i see there's no much things today, i might just go off. but then again, work is never far from me, even on holidays, i will answer emails and calls. But i feel that's the price you have to pay to progress.

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well. up to you to decide then. I'm overseeing closing for 6 entities, currently with projects setting up another 3 entities, managing transfer price in APAC, ERP projects in Korea, Taiwan and SEA. I'm never far from work, sometimes having to go into conf call at unearthly hours with UK and US. The only benefit is, my hours are flexible. If i see there's no much things today, i might just go off. but then again, work is never far from me, even on holidays, i will answer emails and calls. But i feel that's the price you have to pay to progress.
yea... same...
I'm overseeing 5 active and 6 dormant. Looking after owner's private company too. Tax, insurance, banking stuff, HR/payroll all also got do. One of them is a business going live soon so there's alot hiring setting up of system etc.
Last month decided to sync the office email to my phone... no choice...

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Account executive not paid that much.

Really depend on the scope of work & rank level base on industry.

But if you know how to do consolidation account and stuff you can earn quite alot. Doing full set of account like AP AR GL wont get you much though

I only know nowadays got a lot of freelancers & consultancy firms providing various business services like secretarial, HR, accounting (including tax & audit) & etc.

Clients are cutting cost for products & services that cause employers unable to pay higher wages to their employees or cut down manpower.

TKR1992

Master Member
Reaction score
Is a Business (or any other major) Graduate who completes the Singapore CA Qualification equally qualified as an Accountancy graduate?

asdarf

Reaction score
Is a Business (or any other major) Graduate who completes the Singapore CA Qualification equally qualified as an Accountancy graduate?

If both are CA SG qualified I don't really see the difference. Experience starts to matter very early on your career.

VitmainC

Reaction score

So strange. Nowdays non-accountancy graduates are now eligible for CA sg too? If I remember correctly, only those with accredited degree can then be accepted into the programme since the rebranding.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Longer path...

So strange. Nowdays non-accountancy graduates are now eligible for CA sg too? If I remember correctly, only those with accredited degree can then be accepted into the programme since the rebranding.

ChocolateCat

Reaction score

More qualified than an Accountancy graduate who hasn't completed his CA, equally qualified as one who has. Within the accounting/audit industry anyway.

All other variables constant that is. Job experience matters too.

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought need relevant job experience to be fully qualified CA?

ChocolateCat

Reaction score
I thought need relevant job experience to be fully qualified CA?

Yes. You need to have an ATO training agreement to take your professional papers, so it sort of goes hand-in-hand now. As you complete your Singapore CA qualification, you would be simultaneously accumulating the required experience.

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My point is.. The guy above is expecting to be able to get an accounting job with business degree?

Accounting degree holders really go eat grass liao..

Fearah

Reaction score
Engineers also become Accountants. So everyone wants to be Accountant.

Yes, because Singapore is trying to become an accountancy hub. I guess its just much easier for an accounting graduate to clear the Professional papers as they already have background, as compared to another graduate who has to do Foundation and Professional without any prior knowledge. Note that the difficulty and passing rate of sqp (prof) may not be that easy.

As you know, in the audit line, it is good to start your journey early because you will be starting all the way from the bottom, regardless of your age.

Thats just my personal perspective!

ChocolateCat

Reaction score
My point is.. The guy above is expecting to be able to get an accounting job with business degree?

Accounting degree holders really go eat grass liao..

Big 4 takes in Non-Accountancy Graduates too. Not many, but got.

Not just Business, even Engineerig and Math graduates also have.

Everyone is on par / equally qualifed after getting their CA SG. The hard part is actually passing the papers. But surprisingly,the NAGs in my firm seem to do quite well... they really mug hard to pass unlike some Acc grads who took things for granted and end up failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.