the OnePlus 5 !!!

PC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How does your ip7 outperform OP5? Benchmarks?

Are benchmarks indicative of real world?

DID u actually try using both in real world side by side and compare?

I used my OP5 side by side my friends ip 8 plus, EVERYTHING LOADED FASTER.

IOs animations are so dated, the ram cannot keep up no matter how u optimize it.

coming from ip6s, op5 is insanely fast. no point having the world's fastest cpu when the animations slow everything down with no options to adjust it. waiting the animations to load is a PITA. most obvious and most commonly used is when unlocking phone using fingerprint.

then with 6gb ram, i keep all my apps in background so reloading apps for multitasking are instant. no battery drain and i can easily get 2 day standby with 6hr SOT.

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
coming from ip6s, op5 is insanely fast. no point having the world's fastest cpu when the animations slow everything down with no options to adjust it. waiting the animations to load is a PITA. most obvious and most commonly used is when unlocking phone using fingerprint.

then with 6gb ram, i keep all my apps in background so reloading apps for multitasking are instant. no battery drain and i can easily get 2 day standby with 6hr SOT.

The whole thing of iPhones is power efficiency. At the power it requires (The a lot smaller battery) and the benchmark result it gives iPhone has the best and most efficient Cores on any device. Android still has the higher power usage no matter what but never get the speeds of iOS

As for animations it is done to Ensure things look smooth all around. There are 2 ways to do it. Slow and nice. Or fast an no one notices. Oneplus does it fast to hide the drop frames while the iPhone does it slow without drop frame. If you don’t believe me you can turn on Dev settings on your Oneplus and turn on profile GPU with bars. Anything that crosses the green line in profiling is a frame under 60 FPS

The reason why Android needs so much RAM is cause they do not compress RAM contents where on iOS and MacOS they compress memory to fit more things into their smaller but fast RAM.

PC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The whole thing of iPhones is power efficiency. At the power it requires (The a lot smaller battery) and the benchmark result it gives iPhone has the best and most efficient Cores on any device. Android still has the higher power usage no matter what but never get the speeds of iOS

As for animations it is done to Ensure things look smooth all around. There are 2 ways to do it. Slow and nice. Or fast an no one notices. Oneplus does it fast to hide the drop frames while the iPhone does it slow without drop frame. If you don’t believe me you can turn on Dev settings on your Oneplus and turn on profile GPU with bars. Anything that crosses the green line in profiling is a frame under 60 FPS

The reason why Android needs so much RAM is cause they do not compress RAM contents where on iOS and MacOS they compress memory to fit more things into their smaller but fast RAM.

iphone is definitely more energy efficient. i'm impressed actually. am still using a ip6+ as work phone.

technical aspects aside, OP5 is the best phone i've used so far in terms of speed and responsiveness. it's the experience that counts. regardless how android hide their flaws and how inefficient they are, i'm still much more happy using OP5 than using iphone. i rather they hide the animations rather than giving me no option to turn off the buttery smooth animations, i do not want to see them. i want instant everything, iphone is not able to provide that to me. regarding the ram, android is not efficient but 6gb makes up for it, can iphone store as much app in background?

day to day usage, OP5 still beats iphone hands down. everything is instant and that's the user experience which is most important to me.

Last edited:

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
iphone is definitely more energy efficient. i'm impressed actually. am still using a ip6+ as work phone.

technical aspects aside, OP5 is the best phone i've used so far in terms of speed and responsiveness. it's the experience that counts. regardless how android hide their flaws and how inefficient they are, i'm still much more happy using OP5 than using iphone. i rather they hide the animations rather than giving me no option to turn off the buttery smooth animations, i do not want to see them. i want instant everything, iphone is not able to provide that to me. regarding the ram, android is not efficient but 6gb makes up for it, can iphone store as much app in background?

day to day usage, OP5 still beats iphone hands down. everything is instant and that's the user experience which is most important to me.

Exactly. At least there's an option. Iphones are dated la

ecneret_eel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Android phones have improved greatly, especially since the days when I had my HTC before my Samsung Galaxy S2.

that was cuiiiiiii

Sent from 1+5 using GAGT

rest1ess

Reaction score

Kudos to Apple for their proprietary RAM compression. With compression still more responsive than most androids. That's impressive from technical pov.

PC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kudos to Apple for their proprietary RAM compression. With compression still more responsive than most androids. That's impressive from technical pov.

technically iphone/ios is more superior, no doubt about it. if they allow some customisation/flexibility, i'm likely to stick with ios.

having the world's fastest cpu and slowing it down with animations is like driving a racing car in singapore with all the traffic lights. so what if the animations/transitions are buttery smooth? i rather load an app in 0.1s than to load it in 0.2s waiting for the buttery smooth animations to finish. using an iphone for 1.5 yrs, i'm sick and tired to see the same animations over and over again. well, just give me what i want, which is the app itself! :s13: i wonder how people can actually use it for 10 generations.

oh and not forgetting the back and recent button in all androids, makes multitasking easy peasy, improving user experience.

Skyy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After seeing the same iOS animations for years, it gets old and dated. If Apple allowed people to turn off their useless animations, it would save so much time for so many people. All that milliseconds to display the animations multiple times a day will add up to wasted mins and even hours, not to mention the useless animations will also take up batt power to render.

Apparently the animation time for each transition takes around 0.35 secs. If we see 100 transitions a day, means every day we waste half a min waiting. Might not seem much but it all adds up year after year.

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
technically iphone/ios is more superior, no doubt about it. if they allow some customisation/flexibility, i'm likely to stick with ios.

having the world's fastest cpu and slowing it down with animations is like driving a racing car in singapore with all the traffic lights. so what if the animations/transitions are buttery smooth? i rather load an app in 0.1s than to load it in 0.2s waiting for the buttery smooth animations to finish. using an iphone for 1.5 yrs, i'm sick and tired to see the same animations over and over again. well, just give me what i want, which is the app itself! :s13: i wonder how people can actually use it for 10 generations.

oh and not forgetting the back and recent button in all androids, makes multitasking easy peasy, improving user experience.

Well there are ways to turn off animations by Turning on reduce motion. Oh well, i Guess about multitasking you have to learn swipe gestures on iOS. On the X it is amazing how fast you can swipe between apps. Technically we do have a back button equal too!

Well I sold my OP5 and a few other Android phones for the X. So far only one Android phone remains in my arsenal.

But sure Oneplus does have the fastest Android phone for now.

PC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well there are ways to turn off animations by Turning on reduce motion. Oh well, i Guess about multitasking you have to learn swipe gestures on iOS. On the X it is amazing how fast you can swipe between apps. Technically we do have a back button equal too!

Well I sold my OP5 and a few other Android phones for the X. So far only one Android phone remains in my arsenal.

tried reduce motion before, it's not switching off entirely, just different type of animations, still get that 'lag' too.

anyway, i don't think i'll return to ios ever again.

rest1ess

Reaction score

I can't imagine carrying out a thousand dollars phone. Sweat haha

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
This is not true, iPhone is only great at standby time becos the OS restrict what can run in the background. Android on the other hand doesn't hv this restrictions hence it can truly multitask at the expense of more standby drain. You can see various battery test reviews comparing between various Android and Apple phones. Android yield higher SOT compared to Apple phones. Android phones also has bigger battery that also helps in that area.

That is not totally true, while the apps are running in the foreground, the RAM used both Android and Apple are almost identical for the same apps. Android may use an avg of 6 to 10% more but definitely not double like what people thought.

The only difference is when the apps are placed in the background when Apple starts to really compressed the RAM usage leaving very minimal amount in memory. Android doesn't do that becos like I mentioned, it has true multitasking hence things can still run in the background.

rest1ess

Reaction score
The only difference is when the apps are placed in the background when Apple starts to really compressed the RAM usage leaving very minimal amount in memory. Android doesn't do that becos like I mentioned, it has true multitasking hence things can still run in the background.

What do you mean by true multitasking - two apps running side by side or something else?

deckcard

Master Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by true multitasking - two apps running side by side or something else?

Yeah multiple apps running in the background are still running. It is more obvious with services and apps like say torrent downloading in the background while you are doing other stuff.. alot of apps and services are actually running in the background which is true multitasking. In iOS, you can't do that as very limited apps (probably only system apps) can run in the background simultaneously.

Last edited:

rest1ess

Reaction score

The fact that android doesn't have as high ram compression is because it doesn't have the tech, not because only android has multitasking or background app running function.

In fact, IOS has split screen function, just not on iPhone but on ipad. It is therefore a design choice, not a technical limitation.

IOS also allows background processes, just that it is more regulated than in the case of android. Regulation is better for user here in order to preclude rogue apps from wasting resources. See https://www.pervasive-intelligence.co.uk/news/42

Skyy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The fact that android doesn't have as high ram compression is because it doesn't have the tech, not because only android has multitasking or background app running function.

Doesn't Android have zRam compression?

In fact, IOS has split screen function, just not on iPhone but on ipad. It is therefore a design choice, not a technical limitation.

IOS also allows background processes, just that it is more regulated than in the case of android. Regulation is better for user here in order to preclude rogue apps from wasting resources. See https://www.pervasive-intelligence.co.uk/news/42

interestingly enough even with all these regulations, iphone batt life have never been spectacular esp since they control the hardware and software, so everything should be super optimised already.

rest1ess

Reaction score
interestingly enough even with all these regulations, iphone batt life have never been spectacular esp since they control the hardware and software, so everything should be super optimised already.

Perhaps whatever benefits couldn't overcome the physical deficits due to smaller size batt. :s13:

rest1ess

Reaction score
Change topic ...

What nice features in OP5 you guys personally find to be highly useful?

For me:
1) Auto switch on / Alarm works after off-ing phone.
2) Front fingerprint sensor for screen-on. Can't imagine if the sensor at the back.
3) Screen capture of entire screen (even when it is scroll-able). Super cool.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.