SIM UOL students lip lais! - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunnylemonn

Reaction score
Really Need help in econs and PBF.
Anyone has good notes to share? Or external links to study ?

Hello. I took both last year. I had problems with econs too. I used the textbook, subject guide and do my own notes (my lecturer last year was reading off the textbook and doesn't even use his slides?). The text book is really good.

PBF I was in Ivy Cheong's class, her notes are quite good, so I just used her notes and the subject guide for the essay kind of questions.

I do past year papers as well, if I don't have time to finish the whole paper i will jot short answers, or just think in my head then read the examiners report. I find that it helps because we really don't know what they are looking for in our answers and the report shed light on that.

So i guess you probably already have the needed materials? All the best for the upcoming exams :)

PS got above 70 for both.

emmaemma

Reaction score
NEED STRATEGY AND MM SUBJECT GUIDE

hi

I am retaking these 2 modules but can't find the subject guide already. Any kind soul has these 2 subject's subject guide? I can buy from you. WhatsApp me at 92345972 thanks!!

nina2210

Reaction score
Hi, thanks a lot for the details.

May I know which textbook you were using for econs?
My PBF lecture’s notes are exactly same from the subject guide though.

For past year exam papers, you mean the prelim papers that posted by the Lecturers on simconnect ?

Hello. I took both last year. I had problems with econs too. I used the textbook, subject guide and do my own notes (my lecturer last year was reading off the textbook and doesn't even use his slides?). The text book is really good.

PBF I was in Ivy Cheong's class, her notes are quite good, so I just used her notes and the subject guide for the essay kind of questions.

I do past year papers as well, if I don't have time to finish the whole paper i will jot short answers, or just think in my head then read the examiners report. I find that it helps because we really don't know what they are looking for in our answers and the report shed light on that.

So i guess you probably already have the needed materials? All the best for the upcoming exams :)

PS got above 70 for both.

Hunnylemonn

Reaction score
Hi, thanks a lot for the details.

May I know which textbook you were using for econs?
My PBF lecture’s notes are exactly same from the subject guide though.

For past year exam papers, you mean the prelim papers that posted by the Lecturers on simconnect ?

Hello.

I used the Subject guide reference? Last year was Economics Eleventh Edition by David Begg, Gianluigi Vernasca, Standley Fischer, Rudiger Dombusch (BVFD). Not sure if they changed it this year but you can find the reference textbook listed on the front few pages of the subject guide.
For me, I felt like the subject guide was just a directory to direct you to the relevant chapters, pages on the textbook. Because not everything/chapter from the textbook was tested, I used the subject guide as a guide (LOL like it was meant to do. i think.)

Erm i guess you can just do your own notes for PBF then. I hardly used my subject guide last year except for the essay type of questions.

I do past year exam questions, you can find them on Simconnect if your lecturer uploads or you can just go to VLE, they have past year exam papers (not prelim) there. If i am not wrong, correct me if I am, Prelim papers use past year exam questions, if you have time you can do both I guess. Hahaha, I'm generally a lazy person so I try to minimise the things I have to do.

Also, if you don't want to buy the textbook you can go to the online library (accessible from VLE), to read online or borrow it. You will need to request for an account but once done you are good to go!

Everything was based on my past year's experience and I am not sure if it changed since so I can only hope that all these will help. It really depends on your learning style too, theres no one way to it. Hope it helped. All the best! :)

shane.downey

Reaction score
I often received emails and questions from people about materials to study for UOL exams.

is the study guide good for exam preparation? I would say its not comprehensive. It's a must-have but definitely not enough.

is the textbook important for exam preparation? I would say its comprehensive to a certain extent. However it is important to be prudent. Don't memorise and throw everything into your exam because there won't showcase your analytics skills which are things examiners are looking out for.

There are many elements at play and it varies for different modules, independently. Feel free to PM me if you need any clarifications or seek any advises.

cooliomars

Reaction score
Seniors who have scored distinction for year 1 mods - when did you start studying? :s13: :s13:
Any tips on how to revise? :s12:

shane.downey

Reaction score
Seniors who have scored distinction for year 1 mods - when did you start studying? :s13: :s13:
Any tips on how to revise? :s12:

Some students start as early as Nov/ Dec. Some start somewhere in Jan / Feb. You also have people who did it just a month befor exam.

The timing doesn't equates to results. I strongly emphasise that what matter is the things you are reading, the things you will but putting into your exam, the understanding you have and the attitude towards it.

I have helped many people throughout the years, from early birds to last minute cases, or full time workers who barely have the time to attend class but needed the degree to further their career,etc. The above matters.

There are aplenty revision tips online. But what suits others may not suit you.

Still need further assistance or clarification? You can reply in the thread or pm me .

xuan123

Reaction score
POM timings

Hello all!

Do any of you know Patricia Lui's POM timing &location besides the class on friday at 3.30pm??

Appreciate replies. thank you!

Rhapsodyx

Reaction score
Hi guys:vijayadmin: I'm sitting on the fence between enrolling in the Banking and Finance course or Business and Management.. Which one of this is the more popular course?

I'm leaning more towards BnF but I'm seeing econometrics as one of the modules under bnf which i'm afraid is a killer for me because I'm super weak in math..:s22: statistic still okay. Any suggestions?:s12:

idunnomyname

Reaction score
Hi guys:vijayadmin: I'm sitting on the fence between enrolling in the Banking and Finance course or Business and Management.. Which one of this is the more popular course?

I'm leaning more towards BnF but I'm seeing econometrics as one of the modules under bnf which i'm afraid is a killer for me because I'm super weak in math..:s22: statistic still okay. Any suggestions?:s12:
Bnf can no nd take eoe

massivelegend

Reaction score

I'm also stuck with the same dilemma, also leaning towards B&F. But I'm probably going to start a year after you because I have to take the IFS offered by UOL before i can do B&F. I think based on popularity, Business and Management is probably more popular? Courses with a wider range of prospects and less specialized degrees are typically more popular. It also depends on what jobs you'd like to have after graduating :s12:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.